Forums / Fun! / Creative

11,725 total conversations in 468 threads

+ New Thread

Cosplaying for beginners

Last posted May 06, 2016 at 02:51AM EDT. Added May 05, 2016 at 05:57PM EDT
5 posts from 5 users

Semi-related: For me when it comes to cosplaying, I usually choose a character that has a simple outfit. Ryu for example is perfect since his outfit is simple, white karate gi, finger-less gloves, red headband and a black belt. I only need to make the pants and bands. (For people who haven't chose a character to cosplay yet.)

Since you're doing Demoman, use an official art of him for reference. Try finding items around the house you have that matches the character. If you have a black/gray toque or eye patch, then you don't have to make another one since you have already said items.

Also, take your time. Creating the perfect costume takes time and effort. Always plan.

I recommend checking out any thrift stores in your area. I made a Dr. Stein Cosplay for under $100 and more than half of the costume came from Value Village. Obviously the cosplay wasn't the most magnificent costume of all time, but I'd say it turned out quite well all things considered (well enough that I was frequently asked for photos).

Also, I haven't tried it myself yet but if you plan on making any weapons (eg. a claymore) I've heard PVC is a great material. It's light, east to sculpt, easy to paint, and is allowed in most conventions.

Well, few pointers.

Measure how much time you can take to make the cosplay. This will be the difference between ordering parts or making them yourselves. Most beginners can make a basic costume within a month or even less, but if you just don't have the time don't feel pressured to make it anything fantastic. Cosplaying is largely a Social Gateway rather than a Free Spotlight.

As for tips on construction, Goodwill is basically a god when it comes to base clothing. Since all the clothing and shoes sold there are simultaneously real clothes and typically quirky in nature you should have no problem finding something comfortable and breathable.

Storebought costumes have a large breath-ability issue. Unless if a storebought costume has a component you can't make or replace yourself, see how far you can get with just salvaged parts.

As for the Demoman himself: Beanie, Eyepatch, Red T-Shirt, Red Pants, Boots, Vest, and a white thin long-sleeved shirt are all pretty common things you can buy. Keep in mind the typical weather of the Con you are going to, since you don't want to be caught in the blazing hot sun with a winters coat. The props are largely easy to create as well but naturally would need quite a bit more time than the core costume. Literally it can be made with painted PVC Pipes.

Unfortunately that's all I know about costume creation. Just give it your best shot and teach yourself how to react to your characters name. Feel the Demoman in you. Let him flow. Be the Demoman. People more in character tend to get more attention at Cons.

As a fellow cosplayer currently building a "Beep Man" Engie cosplay, after finding parts of the outfit I can just buy, I would start building with the the key, most visible components of the costume.

In Demo's case (Assuming we're talking about just a vanilla Demo), that'd probably be the vest, in which I'm a little uncertain as to where you can find a base vest to buy like Demo's without making it (The black straps you could easily buy), but for atleast the side-pouches (if you want accuracy), grenades, and crotch flap I'd personally advocate for styrofoam, as I'm using right now.

Just get a few chunks of it, git gud measurments of how big you want the pieces to be, cut them in an area you dont mind getting messy in, and round them out if needed. Then I would give it a coat of paper meshe, and afterwards I would buy plaster from a crafts store and apply a coat or two over that for additional sturdyness. Again, in a workplace prepared for messes, Id then sand the plaster down until the sides are smooth and ready for painting, which thankfully in tf2's case, isnt more than one color a part. Afterwards, I'd get some velcro patches for the grenades to stick to the chest without being permanent fitted.

The weapon I'd search to see if I can either buy it already (like my wrench), or find a tutorial on youtube, though that styrofoam method (or any foam for that matter to keep it lightweight) is still a decent option if you break down the weapon to basic pieces to put together with sticks and superglue, at least if necessary.

EDIT: Doing some searching found me this Etsy that can make whatever weapon you'd like, I'd consider contacting them to see what they'd charge if you'd rather buy it: http://craftablesshop.tumblr.com

The actual clothes part of Demo is by far the easiest part if you look in the right places for the boots, hat, eyepatch, a white long-sleeve shirt for the sleeves part, and hell even the red/blu jumpsuit part(s), since the vest covers much of the torso, it doesn't need to be a onesie. Lastly you can find patches of the demo's emblem to sew on the arm's sides online, I got some for my engie last week.

It will take a good amount of time to build, so plan accordingly depending on how soon your event will be (I started in March and my convention is in two weeks) but if you're gud at details it will be quite satisfying.

Last edited May 06, 2016 at 03:09AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!