Forums / Discussion / General

232,985 total conversations in 7,791 threads

+ New Thread

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: AKA... wait, Mishima?

Last posted Dec 07, 2012 at 11:58AM EST. Added Jul 06, 2012 at 10:28PM EDT
153 posts from 19 users

After what seem to be forever since the last update, This update… seems to be oddly crazy.

Current Roster:

Kratos (God of War)
PaRappa The Rapper
Fat Princess
Radec (Killzone)
Sly Cooper
Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
Big Daddy (Bioshock)
Toro Inoue (Doko Demo Issho/Sony Mascot)
Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)

Confirmed Stages:
Hades from God of War being attacked by the Patapons.
Dreamscape from Little Big Planet mixed with Buzz! Quiz. (If you don’t answer questions, damage builds up!)
Metropolis from Ratchet and Clank that contains a Hydra from God of War 1.
Sandover Village from Jac and Daxter with Hot Shots Golf characters raining golf balls on the island.
Chop Chop Master Onion's stomping/chopping grounds from Parappa the Rapper as the city is being attacked by a Goliath from Resistance.

What do you think so far?

My brain is all wonky from the flashing wonders I just saw in those videos, but I'm pretty certain that I can show those to anyone and they can actually be wanting to give Sony full reign over their wallet.

Skimaskkass wrote:

My brain is all wonky from the flashing wonders I just saw in those videos, but I'm pretty certain that I can show those to anyone and they can actually be wanting to give Sony full reign over their wallet.

Indeed; I'm actually pretty surprised that the game at this moment already looks pretty good. Well just have to see how it ends up in October.

@Rinsan

Ah, yes, thanks for correcting me. I had no idea how similar the two mechs looked.

Guys, like Im not kidding I see a trailer like that and I can't imagine what they HAVEN'T announced yet. Okay now for some focused thinking:

For me Super Smash Brothers (one of the most comparable things we have) was Nintendo's roster to promote franchises that needed ground and/or recognizing. For example when many of us were youngsters and saw Marth and Roy in Melee I can be pretty certain we were either lying to ourselves who they were are flat out clueless. There is a lot of goodies here for people who grew up in that generation seeing stuff like Parappa the Rapper and Sly Cooper. Nintendo brought back older names like Ice Climbers and Pit to the roster to allow us to see their roots. However Pit wasn't just in there to be in there… They reintroduced a character so that when they made a new game, people currently were aware of him.

With that said I might be jumping the gun (being the first game) but if (at the very least) people show support over on these characters that are older they will realize popularity… If their not already planning something good. I would imagine a Parappa The Rapper being used for the PS Move for example. Also his stage reeks of Game & Watch's stage from that first vidja.

Anyways I wanted to finally add that again holycowshitthisisamazing, (add to dictionary)
This song reminds me of Parappa the Rapper in a very positively awesome way.
And add this guy in the game:

Skimaskkass wrote:

Guys, like Im not kidding I see a trailer like that and I can't imagine what they HAVEN'T announced yet. Okay now for some focused thinking:

For me Super Smash Brothers (one of the most comparable things we have) was Nintendo's roster to promote franchises that needed ground and/or recognizing. For example when many of us were youngsters and saw Marth and Roy in Melee I can be pretty certain we were either lying to ourselves who they were are flat out clueless. There is a lot of goodies here for people who grew up in that generation seeing stuff like Parappa the Rapper and Sly Cooper. Nintendo brought back older names like Ice Climbers and Pit to the roster to allow us to see their roots. However Pit wasn't just in there to be in there… They reintroduced a character so that when they made a new game, people currently were aware of him.

With that said I might be jumping the gun (being the first game) but if (at the very least) people show support over on these characters that are older they will realize popularity… If their not already planning something good. I would imagine a Parappa The Rapper being used for the PS Move for example. Also his stage reeks of Game & Watch's stage from that first vidja.

Anyways I wanted to finally add that again holycowshitthisisamazing, (add to dictionary)
This song reminds me of Parappa the Rapper in a very positively awesome way.
And add this guy in the game:

Oh I used to love ape escape… Add ape escape and i'll buy this straight away. Also, you do know that Sly Cooper 4 is out later this year, right? Ice Climbers were probably brought back for the same reason you mentioned and same goes for others. Sony shouldn't have this problem, as they are still a fairly recent company.

It seems that new information from the game's panel at EVO.

Game Modes

• 1v1
  • 2v2
  • Stock
  • Reverse Stock (kill limit)
  • Arcade
  • Supers

• You can survive a super like a boss by avoiding, evading or countering a super with another super.
  • Note that all supers are unblockable, and that the Level 3 super is uncounterable (is that a word?).
  • You cannot do 3 level 1 supers with 3 bars of AP. You can only do the super that corresponds to what level you're at.
  • Story

• Each character in the game will have a Rivalry in the Arcade Progression mode. Each pair get a special cinematic cutscene showing how the two interact.
  • There is a final boss confirmed in the Arcade mode. All they said that, "If you're a fan of Playstation, you'll love it."
  • Gameplay/Combos

• Since some people are concerned with the lack of a health, they believe the game is far too bland. In truth, there is sort of a health bar in the game. Essentially, your opponents AP bar is your health bar in reverse. The closer they are to filling it, the more likely you'll die. Superbot has stated that their goal is not to make the game play as close as possible to Super Smash Bros, and that fans should expect pretty much a new unique genre of fighting.
  • All characters are very well capable of pulling off extraordinary combos, contrary to popular belief.
  • After racking up a certain amount of AP from a combo, the victim will be launched and be in an invincible state.
  • Other

• Superbot has said many times during the panel that they frequently read the message boards. Whoever was worried that Superbot doesn't listen to us, don't be. They also check their Twitter apparently.
  • The music is said to be incredible. When asked if they planned selling the soundtrack, Omar replied, "If they don't, they should."
  • Apparently, Superbot is able to collect data from online matches and decide what seems fair and unfair. They're able to make fixes without patching.
  • Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 02:18AM EDT

Ragvak wrote:

I would be cool if they get sackboy in this to be the "kirby" of this game by using different costumes.

I can see that, but by what means is he going to copy the abilities of other characters?

Kirby, it's at least well known that he can just suck them in and copy their powers. Sackboy, I haven't seen any means for him to copy abilities.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

I can see that, but by what means is he going to copy the abilities of other characters?

Kirby, it's at least well known that he can just suck them in and copy their powers. Sackboy, I haven't seen any means for him to copy abilities.

This might sound like a stupid idea, but what if he traps an opponent within a LBP menu and equips an outfit while they're trapped in the menu. Once equipped, Sackboy releases and/or attacks the opponent. Now Sackboy has their abilities and outfit!

… just my opinion…

I found this screenshot of PSASBR, and for some reason, I think it's like the epitome of the game.

An adventurer is being attacked by an electric martial artist while a paper-thin dog is about to hit a sleeping karate cat with a skateboard, all the while a giant spider-like mecha is rampaging a bright and colorful city.

PURE GENIUS!!!

Last edited Jul 08, 2012 at 06:06PM EDT

20% Cooler than Ice Rinsankajugin wrote:

This might sound like a stupid idea, but what if he traps an opponent within a LBP menu and equips an outfit while they're trapped in the menu. Once equipped, Sackboy releases and/or attacks the opponent. Now Sackboy has their abilities and outfit!

… just my opinion…

Actually, that's not stupid. It's just that I fear we'd be allowing Sackboy's "Creator Mode" (or whatever it's called) powers into the fight, which might be seen as overpowered.

I'm not sure whether to count this as news, rumor or leak (probably the latter) but Superbot released a photo of their studio and might have accidentally revealed an Ape Escape stage.

The top photo shows the Studio photo, the bottom left is a screenshot of Ape Escape and the bottom right is a close-up of the computer that might have the unannounced stage on it.

Another thing is that when people got an even closer look at the stage, they noticed four characters already on it.

On the far right is what seems to be Sly Cooper and Nathan Drake. On the far left is Kratos. The character next to him is unknown at the moment because the shot is too blurry, but it may be an unannounced character.

What do you guys think?

Last edited Jul 09, 2012 at 07:39AM EDT

CLYDE (Joe's Nightmare) wrote:

Final boss? "PlayStation fans will love it"?
    Is it this guy?

Actually, knowing Sony, and seeing how Crash Bandicoot hasn't been announced as a character, the final boss is probably either Neo Cortex, or Uka Uka. (or both).

Either way, it'd be an awesome final boss fight.

You know who never gets on people's lists of character choices, crossover-wise:

The Intelligence Cube guy! (I like to call him the "Cube Inspector") Imagine a moveset based around controlling cubes of varying sizes by using different techniques. The Intelligence Cube series was pretty popular back in its day, so why not bring it back for another round!?

Okay, people have been analyzing the Ape Escape stage closer and actually might have figured out who the fourth unknown character may be.

First, let's take a look at the close up photo again, just to look at the character next to Kratos.

People in the community have saying the unknown character might be Kat from Gravity Rush.

It does somewhat look like her, but I'm still waiting for confirmation. Also, Superbot has edited the original photo to block out the leaked stage.

That is oddly suspicious…

Oh yeah, I also forgot to post videos of the actual panel that happened a few days ago. The videos explain what's going on with the game so far. The third video actually has a cutscene from the game, specifically when Heihachi meets up with Toro and Kuro.

I also apologize in advance because the videos are low quality.

Also, bonus gameplay of Heihachi and Toro.

Last edited Jul 10, 2012 at 03:57PM EDT

Is it just me, or does the rival cutscene between Heihachi and the Cats remind anyone of Street Fighter X Tekken? It's as if they knew each other before meeting in this game.

Last edited Jul 10, 2012 at 07:19PM EDT

This might sound stupid and might sound like a really unlikely character guess, how about… Mr. Domino.

No one can stop him…

By that logic, you might as well put this guy in:

And unlike Mr. Domino, Sony actually owns Mr. Mosquito!

Leonard Arch wrote:

Huh, I forgot that was a thing. I guess he could fight… maybe.

Also, I found this picture of the characters in alt. costumes, guessing as some kind of dlc or pre-order thing. I'm not sure how Lotus missed this since it was on a bunch of sites.

They look niiice.

Thanks, Rinsan, I keep forgeting to include that Pre-Order costume picture. BTW, Paul Gale (the guy who leaked info on the game last year) just gave out visual hints on who the next characters may be.

I honestly have no idea what any of them mean. You can either try figure them out or wait til Sunday for the reveals.

Soldier wrote:

Familiar?

Most of Metal Gear games habe been released for Sony consoles, I know it's from Konami, but Tekken is one of Namco's series.

Soldier's right, Leo. Snake, which ever version they chose, has been a big character in terms of Playstation. That's why it boggles my mind that they made him a character in Brawl. (And yes, I know Sakurai and Kojima are friends)

Concise wrote:

Thanks, Rinsan, I keep forgeting to include that Pre-Order costume picture. BTW, Paul Gale (the guy who leaked info on the game last year) just gave out visual hints on who the next characters may be.

I honestly have no idea what any of them mean. You can either try figure them out or wait til Sunday for the reveals.

The comments on the article had some quite interesting theories.

1. - Orange, Crash Bandicoot (that one's a bit of a stretch) If Bandicoots were nocturnal, this hint would make a lot more sense.
    2. - Yellow & Sliver, Ratchet and Clank.
    3. - Little gun, big gun, LittleBigPlanet Sackboys (another difficult one).
    4. - Inverting the image horizontally and vertically, spells out the words "La Li Lu Le Lo" (another word for the Patriots from MGS), Snake (This one seems most definite).

Of course it could be a little more direct than these, Guns could point to Lara Croft, a GTA protagonist, etc.

Update: Paul says that people are on the right track but only one person so far he's met has actually got it

He also said that the lighting, location, time of day, bullets, cars were intentional and have relevance.

Last edited Jul 14, 2012 at 01:07AM EDT

Leonard Arch wrote:

Forget that. I'm not playing until Jumping Flash gets in.

Sony owned and hasn't had a game in forever.

At least make him a supporting character, like Mr. Saturn was in Super Smash Bros.

Damnit, Lotus, you're making my wallet cry!

BTW, have you guys noticed that none of Paul Gale's hints have alluded to what was revealed.

Looks like we have to keep waiting… again…

Luis, Luis, Luis, don't you remember what Paulie said? He said that the hints were not just for SDCC. Hell, he even said that they were probably for Comic Con at all. Let just sit back and look at so far awesome roster of maniacs.

Leonard Arch wrote:

Luis, Luis, Luis, don't you remember what Paulie said? He said that the hints were not just for SDCC. Hell, he even said that they were probably for Comic Con at all. Let just sit back and look at so far awesome roster of maniacs.

I guess you're right, Leo.

Also, this guy should be in the game:

And keep his blocky appearance for fun.

Another pic of the studio, another leaked… something.

It's someone with a purple vest/top. Not really sure who it is.

Also, new DEBUGGED gameplay of Cole and Jak.

2 new items revealed: Baumusu's Axe(Mark of Kri) and Dohvat Laser Designator(Killzone)

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 04:26PM EDT

Leonard Arch wrote:

I love Ape Escape, Crash and Spyro as much as the next guy, but you know who NEEDS to be in this game?

I mean, why else would they re-release his game!?

Your forgetting about One More….

Spyro (Old Design), Cole, Tomba, Solid Snake, Toro, Big Daddy, Jak and Dexter, Ratchet and Clank, Crash (Old Design), Specter, and Klonoa would be the absolute TITS.

Last edited Jul 16, 2012 at 04:43PM EDT
    Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!