Forums / Discussion / General

234,677 total conversations in 7,810 threads

+ New Thread

Windows 8 General

Last posted Nov 04, 2012 at 09:35AM EST. Added Nov 01, 2012 at 06:08AM EDT
17 posts from 15 users

💜✨KaijuSundae✨💜 wrote:

Yea. Windows 8. Lets discuss it. Is it any good? I personally want to know if its any good for gaming. Is it backwards compatible?

There are a few issues Windows 8 and games.

Generally stuff will work okay but there will be few problems.

People have criticized Gabe Newell for being too lazy and not re-programming some things so they work smoothly (imo – he shouldn't have to re-program old games. Note to MS: If it ain't broken, don't fix it Re: windows) Steam isn't GoG. They don't have to re-program games.

Couple of statements from various people in the PC gaming space:

Markus "Notch" Persson specifically refused to accept help from a Microsoft developer to certify his popular game Minecraft for Windows 8 compatibility, replying with a request for the company to "stop trying to ruin the PC as an open platform."

Rob Pardo from Activision Blizzard agreed with Gabe Newell by saying this "nice interview with Gabe Newell – "I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space* – not awesome for Blizzard either"

There have been a few more complaints re: interface but thats unrelated to games.
RIP Old-familiar interface: Win 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, W7

Barely related image:

Larger version

Another major issue for Windows 8 is that the average consumer does not understand the difference between Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT

People rushed in to buy Windows 8 tablets, not knowing the difference between 8 and 8 RT and assumed the RT tablets could run everything regular desktop W8 could. The W8 RT can't run a lot of the regular x86-64 programs because RT is powered via ARM processors. So people started returning them, super pissed at the "very limited" version of Windows. (Local electronic store processed way too many Tablet returns in one day). They should have called Windows RT something else entirely to distinguish it from the desktop line of software.

Last edited Nov 01, 2012 at 04:15PM EDT

I heard that Windows 8 was designed with a Touch Screen/Tablet in mind. That is good and all for half of the things I want to do with the computer, but if it doesn't have compatibility with all of my current games (Touhou, Minecraft,etc), I am by far not going to bother.

I've haven't even Switch to Windows 7, and seeing how most game developer aren't going to brother with Windows 8 I won't either because PC Games is the main reason I use windows.

Ivan knows what he's talking about.

Windows 8 is indeed causing a ton of grumbling among the entire PC community because it seems that Microsoft intends to turn themselves into another Apple and make the PC their Mac

The concerns are mostly from a programmers perspective, your average user won't really understand what the problem is but what people fear the most is that developers for Windows will now have to go through Microsoft to release software for it, thus destroying the openness they have always enjoyed. I've heard rumors of Windows 8 behaving as an impersonal online shopping mall where every application comes with a price tag rather than well…a Personal Computer. Didn't Microsoft proudly proclaim that the PC was personal again when they released 7? Yea, you see the problem here.

From a non-developer perspective, something the average user will notice is that 8 is indeed designed to handle touchscreen interfaces better. That's what the Metro interface is (which you can toggle on or off in 8). This doesn't sound so bad but it seems to be causing confusion where we have two separate interfaces and not everyone is fully aware what to do with it.

I've got Windows 8 Beta but I haven't really tried it that much (still using 7). I probably should go over it again so I can inform better

I've used windows 8, the release preview, for a few months when i had to build a computer, but didn't have money for windows 7. It was nice, i didn't really notice that large of a difference if i wasn't looking for it. Steam ran like a charm, and i was able to get all of my games working on it. There were games that i was able to max out on windows 8, that i couldn't max out when i finally loaded windows 7, because windows 8 uses less system resources. If you have the chance, and are big on PC gaming, you should upgrade, because you will get better performance.
That being said, I'd get a nice system tweak for a start menu.

I thinks windows 8 seems nice and all, but I don't want to always be touching my screen. I already have a tablet but using a touch interface seems unnecessary for a PC.

I don't know if anyone had one of those HP touch smart computers, but I see its kinda cool to touch but it gets really annoying after long use.

I think they flopped on this one. I think that instead of focusing on touch controls, they should have beefed up their security. I just think its outrageous that once you buy a brand new PC you have to immediately buy an Anti-virus software.

People don't want to re-learn how to use things for minor tweaks. "Omg… I can touch it. Woooooah". They need to keep the same interface that actually works and has been proved in sales and customer reviews successful.

Also, they are pissing off the companies and business that they profit from and have dedicated themselves to the OS. i.e. the gaming industry and others.

I won't be using it. Unless they make some major changes. I'm just not impressed and i think they know they fucked up, but its too late in the game to start over. Hope they don't ruin the Windows name and turn it into another "Blackberry" type deal.

💜✨KaijuSundae✨💜 wrote:

Well, the reason I asked if it was any good for gaming is because I have a friend who showed us windows 8 on his laptop, and I think one of us asked if games ran smoothly on it and he said that they did. But you guys would know better i guess. So no upgrade for me.

I wouldn't suggest jumping right in as the software is released. They need to sort out and fix issues and bugs.

One of the main problems of being an early adopter is that you have to sit and wait till the problems are resolved.

Even if Windows 8 was really good, I would not suggest to jump right in. Lets see how it does and lets see how fast companies adopt it. So wait at least a few months before using it. (That goes for most hardware and software – wait till issues are resolved).

Last edited Nov 03, 2012 at 05:37PM EDT

­­­­­­­­­­ wrote:

I wouldn't suggest jumping right in as the software is released. They need to sort out and fix issues and bugs.

One of the main problems of being an early adopter is that you have to sit and wait till the problems are resolved.

Even if Windows 8 was really good, I would not suggest to jump right in. Lets see how it does and lets see how fast companies adopt it. So wait at least a few months before using it. (That goes for most hardware and software – wait till issues are resolved).

This, its the same reason why I don't buy a new gen gaming console right off the bat.

My new computer came with Windows 8, so I'll give you my review:

I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it,I hate it.

That's all.
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!