Forums / Discussion / General

232,628 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Pour one out for best mod

Last posted Aug 25, 2022 at 06:03PM EDT. Added Jul 28, 2022 at 11:55AM EDT
21 posts from 17 users

Surprisingly, I think I have a bit of extra info on this subject that may not be fully public. In a private conversation after a largely unrelated piece of drama, she mentioned how she was the first to punish Moleman, but wondered if, in hindsight, such a heavy-handed response right out of the gate only made things worse.

I don't know if that really was the case, but looking into it, the problem here seems similar to the problem I raised during that discussion: this website completely and entirely lacks any sort of coherent or readily accessible guidelines for user conduct in comments or on the forums, with the provided "Rules and Guidelines" being solely focused on media submission. Really, this glaring issue underpins practically every problem involving mods and moderation on this site: there's no rules for users to abide by, so every decision is arbitrary, and that makes nobody happy. This is a problem going extremely far back, potentially to the very beginning of the site; even out of the most infamous users in the site's history, the few who got banned for anything "on the books" violated the content policies.

I wouldn't consider Jill to have been a "good" mod, but there's something to be said about her actually giving a shit. Even if she had a history of making situations worse in the process. It's definitely a loss to no longer have anyone who will bother to explain the arbitrary rulings of the mod team, especially since, at this point, we're probably never getting any actual rules.

Spaghetto wrote:

Surprisingly, I think I have a bit of extra info on this subject that may not be fully public. In a private conversation after a largely unrelated piece of drama, she mentioned how she was the first to punish Moleman, but wondered if, in hindsight, such a heavy-handed response right out of the gate only made things worse.

I don't know if that really was the case, but looking into it, the problem here seems similar to the problem I raised during that discussion: this website completely and entirely lacks any sort of coherent or readily accessible guidelines for user conduct in comments or on the forums, with the provided "Rules and Guidelines" being solely focused on media submission. Really, this glaring issue underpins practically every problem involving mods and moderation on this site: there's no rules for users to abide by, so every decision is arbitrary, and that makes nobody happy. This is a problem going extremely far back, potentially to the very beginning of the site; even out of the most infamous users in the site's history, the few who got banned for anything "on the books" violated the content policies.

I wouldn't consider Jill to have been a "good" mod, but there's something to be said about her actually giving a shit. Even if she had a history of making situations worse in the process. It's definitely a loss to no longer have anyone who will bother to explain the arbitrary rulings of the mod team, especially since, at this point, we're probably never getting any actual rules.

How many rules you actually need? Lol

If I go by every notable ban from here, you only need 2 rules "dont be a twat" and "dont be a massive aspie"

Misspelled Tiger wrote:

How many rules you actually need? Lol

If I go by every notable ban from here, you only need 2 rules "dont be a twat" and "dont be a massive aspie"

You don't need a lot of rules, in fact, I'd argue it's best to keep your amount of rules small. But if you're going to have any at all, it's in everybody's best interest for them to be public information.

Wait, wait, hold on! Everyone refer to her as "she" and i deadass called her Jacob, because i thought Jill is a joke name from one of the riff-raff halloween event.

Holy shit, i unintentionally wrong named her during our maling, and she doesnt even mentioned it. Please, tell her im fucking sorry for being a bullock!

H.UNgrammar wrote:

Wait, wait, hold on! Everyone refer to her as "she" and i deadass called her Jacob, because i thought Jill is a joke name from one of the riff-raff halloween event.

Holy shit, i unintentionally wrong named her during our maling, and she doesnt even mentioned it. Please, tell her im fucking sorry for being a bullock!

Don't be alarmed, Jill/Jacob has stayed in active contact with the rest of us ever since the apparent transition and none of us seem to know if it's real or a joke either. Either case is fine with me.

But anyway. Jill's pretty much on discord still and said they didn't decide if it would be a undetermined length break or a permanent leave. At the moment, it's more on the lines of "i've had enough of this petty shit, so i'm gonna put some distance and spend my time on other things".

The fact that Jill was Jacob explains why she had it out for me. Anyway, my issue is the double standard this site has with uploads where staff can upload things that would result in suspension for common users. I also remember a certain moderator scolding me for calling moderators capricious.

KoimanZX wrote:

The fact that Jill was Jacob explains why she had it out for me. Anyway, my issue is the double standard this site has with uploads where staff can upload things that would result in suspension for common users. I also remember a certain moderator scolding me for calling moderators capricious.

Yeah I and some other mods have complained to staff multiple times over certain staff members ignoring the site's own media rules. I'd like to think that it's resolved and they've stopped uploading things that as you say, "would result in suspension for common users", but we don't really know what's going on at KYM HQ any more than the next guy

I can't really speak on the 'scolding me for calling moderators capricious', I don't remember anyone bringing it up on modchat, and I tend to be indifferent towards anti-mod talk in general

Last edited Jul 30, 2022 at 01:24AM EDT

Bilbo Swaggins wrote:

Yeah I and some other mods have complained to staff multiple times over certain staff members ignoring the site's own media rules. I'd like to think that it's resolved and they've stopped uploading things that as you say, "would result in suspension for common users", but we don't really know what's going on at KYM HQ any more than the next guy

I can't really speak on the 'scolding me for calling moderators capricious', I don't remember anyone bringing it up on modchat, and I tend to be indifferent towards anti-mod talk in general

It was in a personal notification over a removed image, so most people never could have seen it. I am also avoiding naming the moderator for the sake of staying out of trouble.

It amazes me someone who’s so far up their own ass that they turned into an ouroboros managed to make one of the more helpful mods deactivate out of pure frustration. I don’t blame her since the dudes on a whole new level of schizophrenia and Schizo Posting.

I'm… back for now. I had IRL situations that happened to coincide with the MM9k thread. Given my nature of obsessing over things on this site (literally only beaten by the literal robot on one site metric… yeah…) it was for the best I did not have access for that time. After deactivating, I realized both that I really have a harder and harder time with the site's UI, but I also had a handful of things that I should at least make an honest attempt at doing/finishing prior to leaving without coming back.

Steve wrote:

Pour one out for best mod

Mona is best mod.

PatrickBateman96 wrote:

You were the only active mod I didn't want to beat with a baseball bat

When it comes to the mods that actively "interacts" with the community, that's… understandable. But I hope you don't mean mods like Autumn and Twist who are active but deal more with images and entries than the community.

@H.UNgrammar
Listen, don't worry about it. The conversation where this occurred started off a bit heated. I'll admit, initially I had thought this was intended as deliberate slight. However when read in context it soon became clear that the initial cause of the conflict was over more or less a misunderstanding, and the overall attitude of the PM was consolatory. I really just wanted the conflict resolved and it had basically reached resolution at that point. You were doing the best that you could do with the interpretation of the information that you had which was clear in the overall context.

KoimanZX wrote:

my issue is the double standard this site has with uploads where staff can upload things that would result in suspension for common users.

Get in line lol. Like most of the problems with the site, moderators tried to bring this problems like this to the attention of the admins like, half a decade before the user base really started complain about it. Honestly, I had a reputation among the mods for being vocal about staff not following rules related to images (though this was primarily over well… corporately esoteric stuff. Like image gallery upload piority and what objectively counts as documenting the subject of the entry to prevent another cringeworthy situation). Legit, there was one time years ago that we nearly suspended a user for ignoring the gallery notification until we double checked to find out they had uploaded it to the correct gallery and an Admin moved it to the one where the notification said it should not be. Years of me complaining about this stuff got us nowhere, and eventually I gave up. If you wanna take a crack at them, be my guess, though do be civil -staff are more likely to ban over personal harassment than mods are.-

Nox Lucis wrote:

I choose to believe that Jill has departed on a spiritual quest to find and touch all the grass that Moleman could have, but never did.

Not that far off actually. I got a few tick bites being out in the field. They weren't so bad, but when I went to a livestock management program afterwards legs developed a massive rash. I couldn't be outside for very long without making it worse for around a week.

@Spaghetto's post
I was going to make an in thread response to Spaghetto's post, but after this part alone became nearly a page in length… I decided it was best to just make a new thread over it. Given that both of these posts, -despite being largely off topic,- are the most upvoted ones in the thread, I assume that people would be interested in it.

Last edited Aug 25, 2022 at 06:04PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!