Forums / Discussion / General

232,916 total conversations in 7,788 threads

+ New Thread

If you were put in charge of KYM, what changes would you make to the site?

Last posted Apr 25, 2024 at 11:42AM EDT. Added Mar 10, 2024 at 10:39PM EDT
39 posts from 29 users

I'm curious to know how any of you would change KYM (hopefully) for the better if one day the site staff decided to put you in charge of how the site would operate going forward.

Make sure that you can't add images without entries.

Make sure commenta on entries are always enabled.

Add a "scroll back to the "Oldest recent" comment" in case entry gets an update.

Try to make sure that entry doesn't trend just because someone replied to an old comment.

Uncensor words in searches and tase.

- IP range ban countries that excessively spam the site (looking at you, India).
- Cut down on ads that drive away casual visitors. Far too many obstruct the view of what people are trying to read/watch.
- Make proper video tutorials on how to make entry pages on the site, which include the do's (proper image/video embeds, how to site sources) and don'ts (plagiarizing from other wikis, embedding images into entries without uploading them to the site first, one-sentence entries with no real data).

In general, just make the site more comfortable to use for everyone.

- Add the ability to hide galleries (and possibly individual images) so people who don't want to see soyjaks or gooner art can see less of that.

- Prevent the autoplay of certain videos so I don't get assaulted by Mystery Sounds because the article I happened to click on has a Twitch vod in it.

- Make forum posts editable for more than 30 minutes.

- Improve how comments are loaded on entries because I keep getting this weird happening where the comments just do not want to load for whatever arcane reason.

- Reduce/remove the vote cooldown, or at least make it a little more apparent when it ends.

-Ban/deactivate the Reddit Moments bot.

-Remove editorials – no one reads them

-Editable comments

-The ability to hide image uploads from a certain uploader (I'm not fond of the Hamiltons' uploads personally).

-More derp.

Probably never let anyone try and change the UI to be as bad as it was some time ago. I don't even think one person (not even the designer) liked the change it it was that bad.

As for anything else, I suppose it'd be a good idea to have better embedded link functionality on the site and probably even allow png uploads of up to 1024Γ—1024 so most images don't look as crispy with jpeg compression. That'd probably cost too much for the server however.

Last edited Mar 11, 2024 at 06:02PM EDT

I honest just wanna restart the whole thing from scratch. Maybe make a new site. Not that I think the old one has to go for good, but I currently don't find it all too salvageable.

Last edited Mar 12, 2024 at 06:44AM EDT

1. An update to Textiles to include more quality of life changes in the coding aspect and help assist user's on what error they made for links and effects.
2. A complex block system. instead of blocking the user entirely, you have the option to either block the user's non-forum comments, image uploads, and by certain articles.
3. An extension to the first, more customization for the user's page, such as giving it different backgrounds, hover effects, cursors, and so-on. it'll be like a less robust neocities.
4. Context to why the user was ban/deactivate by the mods. it'll be something like a hover on their username with a different color with text explaining what causes for the termination.
5. A new section on the forum called "article development." a section dedicated on listing memes, cultures, fandoms, and general internet events that haven't been made, are greatly undeveloped, and/or still updating with newer stuff going on. that way, it'll be a lot easier to find and finish some of the missing articles.

Guess I should bring the obvious out the way, MAKE COMMENTS EDITABLE so I won't have to rely on just relpying whenever I make a grammar mistake or wanted to add more to what I say.

Other than that, I could give a placement for smaller ads and a different placing of larger ads so they wouldn't take up space for memes users wanted to see

A list for liked images/videos/editorials as well so users wouldn't have to just rely clicking the favorites button to tune in on their favorite posts again

make images and videos take less space in activity pages and make them similiar in size to how they're measured in comments under posts

A decent blacklist system that blocks entries, tags and categories regardless if they're trending so you won't have to see them when you're browsing, basically make a more functioning alternative to the tampermonkey script

a search operator for untagged posts incase you wanted find some yourself

in case if possible, Make a whole gallery for just music/sound based posts similar to soundcloud/newgrounds, think that could make for an interest versatility here.

And that's all I have regarding on what I would change if I were in charge, recommend what else I could bring to the table regarding this site.

Make the ads less intrusive.

Add the ability to edit comments.

Give clarity on how to apply the NSFW filter depending on the gallery’s subject matter.

Make deleting broken video links a lot easier and less likely to cause accidental bans.

Provide positive reinforcement regarding users making entries.

Prevent ban evasion.

Cut down on the fukin' NSFW. Not like total wipe out, but like good gravy some galleries is just a pr0n dump. It should be like how one user did it for the Pokemon Gallery, a certain day where its fine to flood it (of course within rules).

Collapse some sub-articles that we really didn't need and just expand the main one (Glares at soyjacks)

Bring back the top TEN galleries, no clue why they got rid of it. And while I'm at it, have some suggested galleries from time to time, that might be interesting and drive some engagement.

REMOVE THE LIKE/DISLIKE TIMER. There is no use for it. "Oh but this is to prevent botting". Then purge the likes/dislikes from banned users. Hell, they'll just out themselves if they do--not like the site doesn't keep track of who-does-what.

Add a dark theme, my eyes bleed every time I enter here.

Download more ram.

ADDITIONS:
Editable comments + convenient buttons for formatting text
Retractable likes and dislikes
Favorited comments
Upload image from pc instead of url for comments
Sort comments by most liked/disliked/new/old/replies
Dark theme

REMOVALS:
Remove the vote cooldown or at least reduce it

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Making comments editable and having a yearly purge of old forum threads and memes that're no longer relevant. A sort of "out with the old, in with the new" kind of thing, so the website isn't clogged up with forum threads and other such data that doesn't matter anymore.

Luzno Lindo wrote:

Making comments editable and having a yearly purge of old forum threads and memes that're no longer relevant. A sort of "out with the old, in with the new" kind of thing, so the website isn't clogged up with forum threads and other such data that doesn't matter anymore.

…You have no idea why this site exists, do you?

Topic: Editable comments of course, but I'd also look to consolidate similar topics, such as various events about one person being subsections of a single comprehensive entry instead of each getting their own entry. A bit more like Wikipedia in the way information is organized. The "part of a series" bit near the title does help certainly, but I feel too often an entry is made where an existing one should have been expanded with that information.
Also, I add Dragons Having Sex with Cars to everyone's favorite memes tab by default.

Last edited Mar 24, 2024 at 02:24AM EDT

The quoted post has been deleted.

… I guess you're talking to me? Anyways, I already brought up the point of 'but what about botting', which to me is the same as spamming. It bares little consequence when the alternative is quite simple. Though I understand the code for this website is a bit… spaghetti to put it lightly.

Also to those dislikers; Why? What is wrong with what I and this person pose? A lot of other modern sites do this, if not already have counter systems. I'm not so blind to consequences, but a lot of this implementation is simply to just loosely update the website's back-end. If you only have issue with the suggesting of reducing of certain content-fair enough. I don't deny it wasn't there back in the day-but it was a lot less and I'm simply advocating a reduction-not a total removal.

A reintroduction of the top ten or even just a suggested galleries side view would also be of pure benefit and expose some lesser known pages and maybe help get some of those 'forever researching' pages some much needed attention of additional eyes.

Removal of the like/dislike timer, there was a time where there wasn't one at all. We could go back to it through a number of different back-end systems. If botting is your worry, set an amount of time between each like/dislike and if tripped, use a captcha. And to those who don't know, I do know captcha can be completed by bots, but what most good captcha systems are looking for is how straight of a line it takes to each image and the amount of time it takes for the bot to solve it. There's your cyber-security 101 for the day. Another way is as I suggested and a bit more manual-remove the likes/dislikes of a banned person. Is it a bit more to process? Yes, but it would be to the general benefit then having an eight second timer that doesn't even stop botters or spammers if dedicated enough. I've been forever vexed by this slapdash 'fix' that isn't even a fix. I know a bunch of mods always lambast anyone who argues otherwise (as far as I encountered), but really-why not fix an old system? We'd also could be cured of the age old accidental dislike/like too if things go well enough.

TL;DR: I'm asking for some technical improvements towards the back-end and I'm tired of people acting like it's some herculean task. And if you disagree, tell me the legit reasons instead of saying 'it just is, okay?'

Also still want a dark theme at bare minimum, that is a super easy add.

-Implement new, unambiguous, easy to understand, follow, and enforce rules to reduce confusion with regard to moderator action and what is and is not acceptable content to submit. (This is actually something we mods have been pushing for for years now.)
-When a user is actioned by a mod for a specific piece of content that is being allowed to stay up, indicate that with a tag that says something along the lines of, [User was warned for this comment], or [User was banned for this post], similar to the way imageboards do it. This way we can have examples of what not to do clearly labeled when we do allow rule-breaking content to stay, rather than the current method of, "well, let's just hope users know this is not okay."
-Staff must join and participate in moderator Discord server discussions.
-Overhaul the social features of the site. Introduce block and mute functionality. Editable comments and forum posts. Turn off comments completely if you want.
-Votes for content becomes public information, and a list of who up/downvoted the content would be made available by clicking the vote count (like every social network). This would a) make it much easier to crack down on karma spammers and b) make it easier for mods to weed out behavior like karma stalking and brigading, which we would make clear is against the rules.
-Overhaul the advertising to make the site usable without adblock and on mobile.

L Boy wrote:

Disable comments for this for good.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/twitter-x

You really need to calm down. You're acting like a child throwing a tantrum all over the place, because people refuse to love twitter as much as you do. People are gonna have different opinions than yours, and the more you antagonize them, the more they'll dig their heels and antagonize you back, is that what you really want? You can't just go around saying "IDC" to everyone that doesn't think like you, that's not how this works.

martinprince12345 wrote:

You really need to calm down. You're acting like a child throwing a tantrum all over the place, because people refuse to love twitter as much as you do. People are gonna have different opinions than yours, and the more you antagonize them, the more they'll dig their heels and antagonize you back, is that what you really want? You can't just go around saying "IDC" to everyone that doesn't think like you, that's not how this works.

Opinions are one thing but not when said "opinions" are hateful all the time.

L Boy wrote:

Opinions are one thing but not when said "opinions" are hateful all the time.

First, even if that was true, Twitter isn't a person, it isn't a loved one that can be affected by "hate speech", it's not a living thing that can have its feelings hurt, nor does it automatically have a level of "respect" that is owed to it. Second, as much as you don't want to admit it, there's valid reasons behind the contempt that others have for twitter, just because you were never negatively affected by it doesn't mean others lose their every right to criticize it with good reason. Unless all of this is just some creative and long-term trolling attempt, i don't know why it's so hard for you to grasp the concept that others can hate what you love and their grievances are just as valid.

martinprince12345 wrote:

First, even if that was true, Twitter isn't a person, it isn't a loved one that can be affected by "hate speech", it's not a living thing that can have its feelings hurt, nor does it automatically have a level of "respect" that is owed to it. Second, as much as you don't want to admit it, there's valid reasons behind the contempt that others have for twitter, just because you were never negatively affected by it doesn't mean others lose their every right to criticize it with good reason. Unless all of this is just some creative and long-term trolling attempt, i don't know why it's so hard for you to grasp the concept that others can hate what you love and their grievances are just as valid.

All right all right, God. I admit there's valid reasons to dislike Twitter, I just don't want the damn site to die.

Edit 12:55 PM 4/19/2024: I hate it when people post that Twitter would/should die even as a "joke".

Last edited Apr 19, 2024 at 02:55PM EDT

L Boy wrote:

All right all right, God. I admit there's valid reasons to dislike Twitter, I just don't want the damn site to die.

Edit 12:55 PM 4/19/2024: I hate it when people post that Twitter would/should die even as a "joke".

Don't worry, i get what you're saying. You like Twitter, you're invested in it, and you don't like to see people hate and criticize something that is meaningful to you. But you shouldn't take criticism towards Twitter and treat it as criticism towards yourself and your interests, don't take it so personally.

Inevitably, there's gonna be a lot of jokes on the internet about hoping for the demise of Twitter (like jokes hoping for the demise of Tumblr, Reddit, hell even KYM itself), unfortunately that's just something that will happen and you'll have to learn to take it in stride, because taking it as a personal attack is gonna make you feel awful all the time. Again, this is the internet, you get too defensive over something and it's a magnet for people to double down on their jokes, that's par for the course.

martinprince12345 wrote:

Don't worry, i get what you're saying. You like Twitter, you're invested in it, and you don't like to see people hate and criticize something that is meaningful to you. But you shouldn't take criticism towards Twitter and treat it as criticism towards yourself and your interests, don't take it so personally.

Inevitably, there's gonna be a lot of jokes on the internet about hoping for the demise of Twitter (like jokes hoping for the demise of Tumblr, Reddit, hell even KYM itself), unfortunately that's just something that will happen and you'll have to learn to take it in stride, because taking it as a personal attack is gonna make you feel awful all the time. Again, this is the internet, you get too defensive over something and it's a magnet for people to double down on their jokes, that's par for the course.

Thank you for all this.

– Revert back to the previous layout. I think we can all agree on that.

– Add an edit button for comments. Having to delete and repost because of typos can be annoying.

– Remove voting for comments. I've honestly never cared for whole idea of allowing users to anonymously boost some comments and blast others into oblivion with a click of a button, the latter of which can be easily abused. It just seems to go against the entire idea of forums and comments sections, which is to have a conversation. At minimum, get rid of downvotes to get rid of the "karma stalking" one of the mods mentioned. There's other sites that have upvotes but no downvotes.

'lo! You must login or signup first!