320,712 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Chronicles

Last posted Apr 24, 2014 at 08:50PM EDT. Added Dec 22, 2013 at 08:30PM EST
67 posts from 16 users

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

>Goat thread

No thanks. I'm done.

Edit: Also, why didn't you just explain yourself in the OP?

The explaination of the thread was in page 10 and the need of the thread was in page 9. However since you are less likely to bother to back in then at all a tl;dr version is this: this thread is meant to be used for the KYM Chronical animation by MedleyManiac and features all of those dang injokes here in KYM. Sorry that I wasted your time Fourm Mod sir.
EDIT: Forgot to mention A user will also make an appearnece in the series too.

Last edited Dec 22, 2013 at 09:44PM EST

I dunno, this is all starting to sound like a previous kym-themed project.

Ah well, what are the odds things will repeat like last time.

Also, you didn't waste my time, since I'd have to check this thread eventually.

Edit: I should probably note that I didn't mean the KYM comic. I was referring to the KYM game.

Last edited Dec 22, 2013 at 11:26PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Two things.

1) What is this?

2) What the hell is a kymtheon?

Okay, seeing that no one has actually put a clear answer as to what Kym Chronicles is, I will answer "1) What is this?"

Well, when I joined the "I Need Blood" trend, I thought it was hilarious to see these two terribly bad OCs escalate into something better. Then I wondered: How far can this possibly go?
It was then I decided to make a series loosely based on the "I Need Blood" characters with other characters based upon other KYM in-jokes like Super Robo Jesus and Cheeto.

However, I didn't want it to be a huge circlejerk thing so I wrote the series so that people watching wouldn't have to know about KYM at all to enjoy it as a show. Of course there are references and allusions to KYM culture and jokes outside of the character designs themselves, but I tried to make it so that it does not detract from the show's plot.

Kym Chronicles itself will be a mini series (less than ten episodes) following the journey of Maribelle Cringemine as she discovers herself and what it truly means to be alive. Unlike the other KYM-themed comic by Ox, Kym Chronicles is meant to be a bit more serious and will be at least partially animated.

Anyway, I was going to make a Kym Chronicles thread after I at least released the prologue so people would have a better idea of what this is. I'm also sort of disappointed Soundwave didn't include at least a summary in his original post. I don't want people to feel left out of the loop or something or have to research and lurk just to understand it. It's really something that I want anyone to be able to enjoy. Anyway, I better hurry up with that prologue since this thread has already been made.

Last edited Dec 22, 2013 at 11:01PM EST

MedleyManiac wrote:

Okay, seeing that no one has actually put a clear answer as to what Kym Chronicles is, I will answer "1) What is this?"

Well, when I joined the "I Need Blood" trend, I thought it was hilarious to see these two terribly bad OCs escalate into something better. Then I wondered: How far can this possibly go?
It was then I decided to make a series loosely based on the "I Need Blood" characters with other characters based upon other KYM in-jokes like Super Robo Jesus and Cheeto.

However, I didn't want it to be a huge circlejerk thing so I wrote the series so that people watching wouldn't have to know about KYM at all to enjoy it as a show. Of course there are references and allusions to KYM culture and jokes outside of the character designs themselves, but I tried to make it so that it does not detract from the show's plot.

Kym Chronicles itself will be a mini series (less than ten episodes) following the journey of Maribelle Cringemine as she discovers herself and what it truly means to be alive. Unlike the other KYM-themed comic by Ox, Kym Chronicles is meant to be a bit more serious and will be at least partially animated.

Anyway, I was going to make a Kym Chronicles thread after I at least released the prologue so people would have a better idea of what this is. I'm also sort of disappointed Soundwave didn't include at least a summary in his original post. I don't want people to feel left out of the loop or something or have to research and lurk just to understand it. It's really something that I want anyone to be able to enjoy. Anyway, I better hurry up with that prologue since this thread has already been made.

I really do apologize for the last bit, I read didn't know how to bring out the information at all or even had any information to begin with. I should have waited on you for the summary or better yet let you make the thread instead.
Might as well declare exterimnautus in this train wreck anyways.

Sir Soundwave wrote:

I really do apologize for the last bit, I read didn't know how to bring out the information at all or even had any information to begin with. I should have waited on you for the summary or better yet let you make the thread instead.
Might as well declare exterimnautus in this train wreck anyways.

Doesn't matter. The thread is here now. If it's still here when I finish the prologue or any other Kym Chronicle related work then all my work will go here.

Ahahaha oh wow how I've been so out of the loop. I mean man I used to be involved in everything that involved KYM's jokes, and stuff.

I think it's because I avoided the goat thread for so long, that so many in jokes passed me by, and I really wanna be apart of the family again.

Last edited Dec 23, 2013 at 12:32AM EST

You know. As much as I support creative content in the KYM community, I can't help but thinking that a great bunch of ancient KYM in-jokes has been lost.
I mean, Super Robo Jesus wasn't the only thing that shone this website, in those days.

Tomberry wrote:

You know. As much as I support creative content in the KYM community, I can't help but thinking that a great bunch of ancient KYM in-jokes has been lost.
I mean, Super Robo Jesus wasn't the only thing that shone this website, in those days.

What if I told you it's all just CAMOWAM, one big reference to the past.

Tomberry wrote:

Well, I won't lie. I'm a newfag so I'm not too familiar with a lot of the older in-jokes. I only included those that I'm familiar with. If there's any you feel particularly important, I can try to incorporate them if you tell me.

But anyway, the main purpose of Kym Chronicles isn't to be solely about KYM in-jokes, but to take TDIGURL12's original donut steel characters as far as possible, to be the exact opposite of what they started out as. I want them to go from typical Sonic OCs to actual characters with some originality and backstory.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I dunno, this is all starting to sound like a previous kym-themed project.

Ah well, what are the odds things will repeat like last time.

Also, you didn't waste my time, since I'd have to check this thread eventually.

Edit: I should probably note that I didn't mean the KYM comic. I was referring to the KYM game.

Ah, the RPG, right? I have heard of it's infamy…

Hopefully I don't repeat the mistakes of the past

Last edited Dec 23, 2013 at 04:26PM EST

MedleyManiac wrote:

Well, the biggest mistake would have to be existing in the same domain as some users who didn't want it. So yeah, best of luck.

MedleyManiac wrote:

Sigh… yeah… hopefully you don't receive death threats like I did.

Ann Hiro wrote:

Sigh… yeah… hopefully you don't receive death threats like I did.

I don't quite understand what happened though. Someone care to explain how it went from a game to all out shitstorm?

MedleyManiac wrote:

I don't quite understand what happened though. Someone care to explain how it went from a game to all out shitstorm?

Because people be hating. Some people just didn't like the idea, and some people said we stole the idea after they dropped it months prior.

People had different reasons to hate it, and it all came down to.
"Was it worth it?" It wasn't worth it so we packed up, and thanked everyone for their support, and that was that.

Ann Hiro wrote:

Because people be hating. Some people just didn't like the idea, and some people said we stole the idea after they dropped it months prior.

"Was it worth it?" It wasn't worth it so we packed up, and thanked everyone for their support, and that was that.

That's unfortunate. I hope Kym Chronicles won't suffer the same fate. Any advice you can give?

I want this to be something people can enjoy, not something that causes anger and fights. Maybe I'm just corny, but I like making people happy with my art so I really hope that's what this series will do. Granted not everyone will like it, but if the majority of people don't want it then it's really not worth it for me to continue.
Once I post the prologue that'll probably give me a better idea of how people will feel about it though.

MedleyManiac wrote:

That's unfortunate. I hope Kym Chronicles won't suffer the same fate. Any advice you can give?

I want this to be something people can enjoy, not something that causes anger and fights. Maybe I'm just corny, but I like making people happy with my art so I really hope that's what this series will do. Granted not everyone will like it, but if the majority of people don't want it then it's really not worth it for me to continue.
Once I post the prologue that'll probably give me a better idea of how people will feel about it though.

Don't worry from what I see, I don't see much malice towards your project. The community has mellowed down, and it seems you have way more supporters than we did back in the day. Just don't be afraid to do what you want to do.

So far people enjoy Ox Doxoms comic. I believe people will also enjoy your thing.

Welp, since this is here I might as well include some concept art (Oh, and the blue girl doesn't have a left arm in case you're wondering why it looks limp and stuff):
The Title Card

The Protagonists

And now just some doodles I haven't posted before:

Last edited Dec 24, 2013 at 04:41AM EST

MedleyManiac wrote:

Welp, since this is here I might as well include some concept art (Oh, and the blue girl doesn't have a left arm in case you're wondering why it looks limp and stuff):
The Title Card

The Protagonists

And now just some doodles I haven't posted before:

Awesome Sketches. Cant wait til the antagonists are done.

Cale wrote:

So being completely serious here, what's the deal with RandomMan.

I mean, what is it about him that makes new members and Pony Thread members instantly worship him?

He has just the right kind of "humor" that fourteen year-olds really get off to.

Cale wrote:

I mean, what is it about him that makes new members and Pony Thread members instantly worship him?

Let's see… He's a reasonable guy and easy to talk to…

But he's also the most bangable person in the "If you could bang anyone from KYM" thread so there's that.

Take your pick.

Ann Hiro wrote:

Yeah, ok, look, it's shit that everything that happened, happened. And I'm certain with how the site has changed since then, such history won't repeat itself.

But dear lord, it's in the past. Do you really need to bring the negative things about the KYM RPG up whenever possible? Do you rather remember the RPG as a source of drama and death threats, or as a fun community project that brought users together even though the final product never arrived? I think the answer is obvious.

But continue where you left off in this thread, ignore the above.

And Cale, Taryn, why wouldn't people want a piece of me?

Last edited Dec 25, 2013 at 09:55AM EST

Cale wrote:

One word: Charisma

He knows how to make a good first impression to new members and his presence means that new members find him easily.

As for Pony Thread posters, they just have this running joke that the whole thread is "RM's Harem" which increases his presence there even more (even when not posting there)

Merry Christmas
Here's Maribelle (drawn in a different style though):

Drawn traditionally and colored digitally because it looked dull.

Last edited Dec 26, 2013 at 06:55AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Yeah, ok, look, it's shit that everything that happened, happened. And I'm certain with how the site has changed since then, such history won't repeat itself.

But dear lord, it's in the past. Do you really need to bring the negative things about the KYM RPG up whenever possible? Do you rather remember the RPG as a source of drama and death threats, or as a fun community project that brought users together even though the final product never arrived? I think the answer is obvious.

But continue where you left off in this thread, ignore the above.

And Cale, Taryn, why wouldn't people want a piece of me?

What? He literally asked for it.

I've been working on a MAP which I must finish before I can make this my main project, but I am almost done.

For now, here's a different kind of map I made really quick as a reference for myself that I will share with you all:

I'll take name suggestions for the regions and cities and such.

Last edited Jan 05, 2014 at 01:52AM EST

MedleyManiac wrote:

I've been working on a MAP which I must finish before I can make this my main project, but I am almost done.

For now, here's a different kind of map I made really quick as a reference for myself that I will share with you all:

I'll take name suggestions for the regions and cities and such.

Here's two inspired from Son of Primus' home world (aka Super Robo Jesus incase if our message wasn't clear): Kaon, an area where some of our main antagonists will be living in; and Ioacon, where SRJ's main domain is (or all of Three King's if you wish).

Does anyone know people who compose music? I'm not looking for an expert, just someone to work on two short songs and some background music (or at least offer some advice on how to go about this).

Alright, here's just some sketches for you all:

So, I decided to make some riding animals for Kym Chronicles. I didn't want to use plain horses because Kym Chronicles is more fantasy than reality so I tried to go with an ATLA/LoK-style animal with the idea of using hybridized animals. As KYM itself is a meme website, I decided to use two notable animal memes as inspiration (I know not everyone likes the ones I chose, but I felt their impact on meme culture was significant enough to include). I'm not sure if my execution of this idea was successful, but I'm satisfied for now.

Ta-dah! It's Kym-tan as Maribelle's mother. I decided to use Kym-tan for two reasons:
1) She is the personification of the site so it would make sense that she "gave birth" to Maribelle in a way (but in that sense she's every injoke's mother but whatever).
2) The shape of her hair. As you can see on the right I have drawn a coin with her head on it. You see, I wanted the currency of the series to be "thumbs". Of course, the citizens would need a reason to nickname their currency "thumbs". That's when I realized the shape of Kym-tan's hair in addition to the crown I added sort of looks like a thumb with a bit of nail sticking out.

Anyway, I'm still working on the MAP from before (Multiple Animator Project). Once I finish that Kym Chronicles will become more of a priority. (But it's difficult because I really want to work on Kym Chronicles but I have to finish the MAP and gah)

Last edited Jan 25, 2014 at 07:11AM EST

blue wrote:

Can somebody tell me what will this be?

Towards the top I included a summary of what this is.

To be brief, though, it's a KYM inspired series.

blue wrote:

series of what?

To quote myself:

"Well, when I joined the “I Need Blood” trend, I thought it was hilarious to see these two terribly bad OCs escalate into something better. Then I wondered: How far can this possibly go?
It was then I decided to make a series loosely based on the “I Need Blood” characters with other characters based upon other KYM in-jokes like Super Robo Jesus and Cheeto.

However, I didn’t want it to be a huge circlejerk thing so I wrote the series so that people watching wouldn’t have to know about KYM at all to enjoy it as a show. Of course there are references and allusions to KYM culture and jokes outside of the character designs themselves, but I tried to make it so that it does not detract from the show’s plot.
Kym Chronicles itself will be a mini series (less than ten episodes) following the journey of Maribelle Cringemine as she discovers herself and what it truly means to be alive. Unlike the other KYM-themed comic by Ox, Kym Chronicles is meant to be a bit more serious and will be at least partially animated."

If you want a summary more about the story itself though:
The series takes place in a land called Kym where the magic forces of light and dark are at work. To keep the two powers in balance (as they naturally work against each other creating chaos) five were chosen to absorb and maintain them. At the time of the series, it has been thousands of years since the time of the chosen and their people are at war. Maribelle, successor and descendent of one of the chosen, serves as the series' protagonist as she attempts to end the war. However, things aren't as black and white as she had originally thought.

Sorry about the blocks of text. Just wanted to make sure I answered it completely this time.

So… a comic/animation project based on the OC's over the years of KYM? This sounds relatively interesting.

And I saw the RPG be brought up; and yeah, even though I was the director of that I don't feel the project was a failure. Mainly because even though I wasn't able to deliver it, I was still able to get a whole lot of experience out of it I would not of otherwise had.

Yeah, the game was far too ambitious, RPG's take forever to make, we didn't have the crew needed to make such a project, and communication errors brought the project down into a bubbling mass of shit. However it wasn't like we didn't actually manage to make anything. I still have about a 100 file mass of all the media we created for that project, and that wasn't counting all the animation, script, and music made for it.

As general advice for any big projects; have all your content planned out. This makes everything SO MUCH easier. Revising that tomb of a script we made like 8 times was a living hell because we didn't have a master list of all the plot points or elements we wanted in the game. And even then we had no clue how big the game would have actually been until we finally created the content list.

True, it's a bit simpler for a project like this, but not having a solid plan will KILL YOU. Fortunately, you seem to at least have the Synopsis and the Episode/Chapter count, so you are on the right track. Just be certain to measure your limits before attempting to tackle the project full force.

And lastly, don't, Don't, DON'T turn this into a source of drama. If you can, leave other users out of it. Idolification/Demonization of certain users will lead to the biggest shitstorms you have ever laid your eyes upon. I was a newfag back when I first started working on the RPG, and planning in all the users I didn't like or who where attacking the project to be a source of comic relief and idolizing my freinds and supporters of the project just got things even worse for me socially. I still have a lot of people who hate my guts over that stuff, despite having gone and apologized to them later after we officially removed them from the planned content entirely.

So in short; Keep a solid plan, and don't be liberal about the inclusion of users. You can include some of them, but don't make them be a main anything.

Last edited Jan 26, 2014 at 03:58AM EST

^
eyes to the KYM fighting game thread
I suppose they could use some of these advice. In fact, a manager should be present in any case to check progress…
But then again, it's just a piece of spare time for those guys.

Back to topic, I just want to ask Medley-sensei, in any case another in-joke will sprout in KYM, are you to add it in the KYM Chronicles? Or just make a subtle reference?

Okay, I don't know how to quote/reply to multiple people so I'll just use @

So @Natsuru
That's some solid advice. You pretty much saved me from making a grave mistake (I was planning to include some users other than influential ones). I included RandomMan because he is a part of KYM culture for many users, but some of the others I was thinking of including are definitely not as influential nor notable on the site. Gotta go make some revisions.
I do have a "Master Plan" document though with everything concerning the series so at least I got that.
Anymore advice you have would be great. I really want to avoid drama.

@Xylia
If another injoke should arrive with notable influence, it will be incorporated somehow in someway. However, it will not become a part of the story because I have a general outline planned for that already.

Also, if anyone wants to suggest who Maribelle's dad/Kym-tan's husband should be that'd be great. I was thinking of making him deviantART since that's where "I Need Blood" originated, but deviantART itself is just so unrelated to KYM and not a part of KYM culture so…

Anyway, yeah. Suggest a husbando for Kym-tan. I only ask that the subject chosen be KYM related.

If you haven't added him yet; Deadpool Kun might work.

However, I kinda view him more as a rival character than anything. Somebody else might be more worthy.

@Xiliya:

Had the project had not been so immediately like… "Gold Members Only" or whatever, that's probably what I would have done for that project mostly. I am still open to the idea, but I think I missed the window.

Last edited Jan 26, 2014 at 04:45AM EST

Hm…it's kinda hard to think of a father character. I mean, his character should make sense with Kym-tan and Maribelle as a family. Since I don't know how those characters act in the story per se, I can't think of a good character yet.

I do opt for a mysterious father who "died" in a battle for now…

MedleyManiac wrote:

Does anyone know people who compose music? I'm not looking for an expert, just someone to work on two short songs and some background music (or at least offer some advice on how to go about this).

I've already been writing background music for another project, so I'd be up for providing some themes. Are those two short songs beginning and ending themes? If so, I may be able to provide vocals on them. You may have to wait a bit on them though because I am kind of busy these days.

Kouhai wrote:

Hm…it's kinda hard to think of a father character. I mean, his character should make sense with Kym-tan and Maribelle as a family. Since I don't know how those characters act in the story per se, I can't think of a good character yet.

I do opt for a mysterious father who "died" in a battle for now…

I vote Cheeto for father. One of Muumi's artworks here has some reason to go with my vote.

Edit: Man how did I not see the "Dies in battle" part of the comment? Oh well the Cheeto is mysterious so he might as well be the father in secret.

Last edited Jan 26, 2014 at 10:15AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!