Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,734 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

what president do you want to be president again?

Last posted Sep 01, 2017 at 10:31AM EDT. Added Aug 12, 2017 at 11:46PM EDT
20 posts from 15 users

alright here are the rules:

1# this will only apply to the next election process, implying that trump will stay in the white house the entire term.

2# it can only be confirmed presidents from US's history

3# no matter what was the cause of death, they are the same health they were when they took office, Pre-existing conditions still apply

Mine, well it might be an easy one but I would go for Theodore Roosevelt
Now that was a true blooded American who knew how to handle problems

Last edited Aug 12, 2017 at 11:47PM EDT

Definitely Truman. Carried on FDR's polices and upped them by a mile. Considering the financial situation we're in right now, we could use someone like him. Also he ended a world war, and we're having a hard time ending one of our own. He'd know how to put a stop to it, unlike that right-winged jerk MacArthur.

Adam DeLand wrote:

Definitely Truman. Carried on FDR's polices and upped them by a mile. Considering the financial situation we're in right now, we could use someone like him. Also he ended a world war, and we're having a hard time ending one of our own. He'd know how to put a stop to it, unlike that right-winged jerk MacArthur.

you know, I see where you're coming from on Truman, there was a lot to like about him. However, the problem I see about him being president now is the fact that his Korean war kinda fell apart and ruined his second term. Having him return means he would have to deal with Korea again.

I'm gonna have to go with Theodore Roosevelt, probably one of the best (if not THE best) Presidents we ever had. That being said, I'm not entirely sure if his policies would work for today's problems (though, who's to say he wouldn't take that into consideration?).

Barring that, I'd honestly have to say Jimmy Carter as my second choice. I know his term wasn't exactly a successful one, but a lot of it really seems that had more to do with bad luck than bad policy. Disregarding policy altogether, he's probably one of the most disarming heads of state I can think of, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing right now.

Either of the Roosevelts, honestly. While they both had downsides (Teddy was jingoistic and racist--he did happily take part in the Spanish American War prior to becoming president; and FDR was pretty authoritarian, what with his court packing plans and putting Japanese-Americans in internment camps and serving four terms), they were still considered some of the greatest presidents the U.S. had. Teddy Roosevelt is probably the most alpha male to have ever existed (and this is coming from someone who thinks the concept of alpha and beta males is stupid; he was rich, strong, fit, skilled, etc.), and is WAY more of a man (and overall respectable human being) than Donald Trump and his base could ever wish to be (no offense to those who actually support Trump here). Hell, Trump could be considered an anti-Theodore Roosevelt, in my opinion. Teddy may have been a Republican, but Republicans were way different back then, back when they weren't the shitstain of a party they are now. He was pretty progressive, being a big conservationist, and regulated corporations (Trust-Busting Teddy). Square Deal, anyone? He did some imperialist stuff, like with the Panama Canal, but despite that, he's still an amazing president.

Moving on to FDR, he helped take the country out of the Great Depression with his New Deal (though some argue it made the Depression worse, and that WWII alone helped pull the U.S. out of the Depression). He's the progressive icon of Democrats as a whole, with his huge programs that were part of the New Deal. The fact that he was able to manage the disasters that were the Great Depression and WWII throughout his presidency, all while being wheelchair-bound due to polio, is pretty impressive. He's definitely the type that would inspire Democrats, especially the progressives.

FDR would be my number 1 choice, with Teddy being number 2.

@LesserAngel Poor Jimmy Carter. He got screwed over real badly by the events of the 70's, what with the oil crisis, and especially the Iranian Revolution. Speaking of the 70's, they were a terrible time politically. There was the end of the Vietnam War, Watergate, Nixon's Resignation, the oil crisis/crises, disasters like the Three Mile Island incident, and the aforementioned Iranian Revolution. The 70's were probably one of the U.S.'s worst decades (though previous periods were WAY worse, like the Civil War, WWI, the Great Depression, WWII, etc.) politically. Even with the U.S. celebrating its 200-year anniversary, all the bad stuff happening then stuck out pretty badly. See? I remember the stuff I learned in U.S. history in high school!

Last edited Aug 14, 2017 at 12:47AM EDT

@ Colonel Dude, very good points.

that also reminded me, despite how things turned out Nixon is actually one of my favorite presidents. Mainly for the soul fact that he was a fantastic foreign diplomat. He helped level the world a bit. Was he perfect? not by a long shot but not every president perfect. His level headed foreign thinking is another good option on this list.

just… just one term only.

JFK

• He was the sole reason we have the first man to land on the moon.
  • Rekt Richard Nixon in the 1960 Presidential Debate
  • Ich Bin Ein Berliner
  • He would got rid of the CIA to begin with.

If he didn't die, he would've made Prey (2017) real.

'Lotta good choices out there already listed, but I'm going with the George Washington.

1# Universally respectable in his own right.
2# Founding MotherF***ing father.
3# Effective war veteran.
4# Unaffiliated with any political party.

If he didn't resign and die, the House and Senate might not be so divided and would try to work better together.

Dwight D. Eisenhower isn't a bad choice for President either. As far as I know, he wasn't that much of a party guy; he only chose to be a Republican because he wasn't satisfied with the Democrats at the time (obligatory "he wouldn't be fine with either party now, amirite?")--or at least, that's what I learned in school (I could be dead wrong for all I know). He's sort of a mixed bag for me (but leaning towards good for me)He was a former WWII general (Being in the military doesn't always make you a good president, just look at Ulysses S. Grant!), which is a plus with citizens. He was supportive of civil rights, helping play a big part in ending segregation. He was also big on infrastructure, being responsible for the Interstate Highway System we have in the U.S. today. Despite being a U.S. general, he actually decreased military spending, which is even more surprising considering we were stuck in the Cold War at the time, and warned about the dangers of high military spending and the military-industrial complex we love to criticize.

However, he was responsible for the 1953 coup in Iran (and also the 1954 coup in Guatemala), and as an Iranian, I obviously frown upon (I can't believe I'm still supportive of Eisenhower despite the Iranian coup). Well, on one hand, the U.S.-backed Pahlavi regime which replaced Mossadegh's goverment did help modernize Iran, but on the other hand, Pahlavi's regime was oppressive, and ultimately led to the 1979 Iranian Revolution, which led to Iran becoming a theocracy (and I hate the Iranian theocracy with a passion).

Hey, he was still a good president.

Last edited Aug 17, 2017 at 11:41PM EDT

Particle Mare wrote:

woodrow wilson except preferably less racist

also less suppression of dissent. ACLU was actually founded in response to Wilson administration's unjust and cruel treatment of political dissent.

https://archive.org/details/toamericanpeople00natiuoft

Sabreviper wrote:

Bill Clinton.

Ah, Bill Clinton. Monica Lewinsky scandal aside, he doesn't seem that bad. Though the fact that he was a "neoliberal" type Democrat doesn't sit well with more progressive Dems. You still gotta praise him for trying to get a universal healthcare system established in 1993, even though it failed. Also, as much as she is hated on KYM, Hillary Clinton actually played a big part in creating the universal healthcare plan. Still, I hope universal healthcare does get established in the future.

Thomas Jefferson was a pretty cool president. He bought the Louisiana Purchase, which helped make the U.S. a lot bigger.

Last edited Aug 19, 2017 at 02:50PM EDT

As a Mexican, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He was a leader not just for the US, but for all the world. Even Stalin liked him. He was a great statesman for helping creating the postwar international system, which is far from perfect, but at least made a new way to deal international conflicts apart from war. Also his charisma was maybe the biggest among all presidents (including Kennedy). People really respected him, even if they were against his ideas and values.

The US needs a "President that lifted himself from a wheelchair to lift the nation from its knees".The world needs a leader who understands basic human decency and empathy.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!