Forums / Fun! / Just For Fun

320,728 total conversations in 9,943 threads

+ New Thread

What's your favorite cryptid?

Last posted Dec 01, 2023 at 10:20AM EST. Added Nov 30, 2023 at 12:33PM EST
3 posts from 3 users

I've always had a fondness for the Flatwoods Monster of West Virginia. Now a part of this started because of the game The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, as the alien enemies that invade Romani Ranch were based on the cryptid, but I didn't learn about the cryptid until years after playing the game. This lead me down a rabbit hole to discover the Flatwoods Monster is actually quite popular in Japan and shows up in quite a few Japanese video games, and there's just something about the way this monster looks that I find neat. Nowadays it's believed the Flatwoods Monster was nothing more than a large barn owl, especially since the description of "claws and a face shaped like the ace of spades" fits this specific owl species, but as someone who also likes ayyliens I just wanna believe.

This isn't the most concrete answer, but I like the different iterations of the "mimic" that show up across stories and cultures. That thing that mocks the presentation of a human or animal closely either for predation or other sinister purpose. It may be a faerie, witch, demon, lost creature, or extraterrestrial.
I like thinking about this archetype because of what it may suggest about the nature of fear and humankind's relationship with the unfamiliar and the outsider.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!