Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,830 total conversations in 4,534 threads

+ New Thread

Azumanga Daioh

Last posted Jul 11, 2009 at 01:47AM EDT. Added Jun 29, 2009 at 06:08PM EDT
4 posts from 4 users

I'm researching the "I wish I were a bird" entry right now but I could use some help from all the anime fans.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-wish-i-were-a-bird

I personally wasn't familiar with "I wish I were a bird" but I know I have seen that cat character, AKA Chiyo's Dad. But so far I haven't watched the series, and don't know much about the meme.

But in looking, I've come across "Sata Andagi."

I don't really know what to make of it. Is the "I wish I were a bird/OH MY GAH" meme more notable than Sata Andagi? Should the entry cover all of the remix videos tied to this series?
Given that the view counts are generally pretty low on these videos, how much is there to be said about it?
And is there more to this meme than videos?

[edit]
I've also just come across Azumangled. It looks like a series of Youtube Poop-style Azumanga Daoioh videos.

There are parts II and III as well.

So are we just looking at another element of Youtube Poop or is there something more to the memes related to Azumanga Daioh that I'm missing?

Many things from the show "Azumanga Daioh" have in fact spun off into other "meme-worthy" things. Most of the memes usually revolve around the character "Osaka"…she's the one who says "OH MY GAWD" in the "I wish I were a bird" video. It's very hard to set up this one because the show itself has spawn so many memes.

I know that YTMND use to have a bunch of "Osaka/Azumanga Daioh" related memes. Osaka even has her own entry in the YTMND Wiki page, so she definitely has left a mark there.

http://wiki.ytmnd.com/Osaka

Though I'm not 100% sure that the Azumanga Daioh/Osaka memes completely started there.

Clips from Azumanga Daioh have been used a lot in the AMV Hell series as well, a very popular Anime Music Video that is a collaboration between 100s of AMV artist in which they make very short clips involving anime and audio clips from a variety of sources.

Azumanga Daioh I believe has really embedded itself into the anime culture around the internet. It's popularity status can probably be related to that of Lucky Star, though Lucky Star seems to be the more popular one these days.

Well I feel like I've been talking in circles here so I'll try to wrap this up. The two memes you mentioned above are really part of something bigger here. I would probably label those two under either the "Osaka meme" or the "Azumanga Daioh meme". I'll try finding something that will help get the point across…maybe. Until then, here's parody video of the He-Man opening but using Azumanga Daioh.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!