Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Does this old animated soviet music video have a place on KYM, and if so, where?

Last posted Jul 29, 2020 at 04:43PM EDT. Added Jul 28, 2020 at 01:30PM EDT
5 posts from 3 users

So i was listening to Russiian Folk Music whilst doing the ironing, as you do, and this popped up.

I've done a bit of research and this clip comes from an old animated soviet film from the 1970s called "The Songs of Fiery Years" or "Pesni Ognennyh Let/Песни огненных лет" in Russian. It was directed by Inessa Kovalevskaya and was an animated collection of songs written during the Russian Civil War.

It's got that distinctly Russian style of animation and I thought you guys might find it cool, but I'm not entirely sure where it'd fit. My first thought was Western Animation, but Russia occupies that weird spot where it's neither fully east or fully west, so I'm not sure it belongs there.

My second thought was with the Communism page, but apart from being made by the Soviets and the song is about a red army soldier, it doesn't really feel bombastic or organised enough to go there, if that makes sense.

So that's where I currently stand on the matter. What do you guys think I should do with this?

Could do something like TVTropes and create an "eastern animation" page (meaning animation from anywhere in Asia except Japan), though I imagine people would still have trouble noticing that difference.

EDIT: Scratch that, just refreshed my memory and saw that TVTropes classifies eastern animation as animation from the former Soviet Union/Eastern Bloc, so Western animation is still your best bet.

Last edited Jul 29, 2020 at 12:27PM EDT

UnknownCanadian wrote:

Could do something like TVTropes and create an "eastern animation" page (meaning animation from anywhere in Asia except Japan), though I imagine people would still have trouble noticing that difference.

EDIT: Scratch that, just refreshed my memory and saw that TVTropes classifies eastern animation as animation from the former Soviet Union/Eastern Bloc, so Western animation is still your best bet.

Thank you for your answer.

I've uploaded it to "Western Animation" and no moderator has removed it or moved it elsewhere yet, so I think I should be ok.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!