Forums / Discussion / Meme Research

30,826 total conversations in 4,532 threads

+ New Thread

Dissertation help, Meme lifespan and meme outliers

Last posted Mar 11, 2021 at 12:52PM EST. Added Mar 11, 2021 at 02:57AM EST
3 posts from 2 users

Hi, I'm currently writing my dissertation on Chinese mandarin Internet memes in the field of translation and interpretation.
In my chapter on a meme lifespan, I find little empirical research on how long a meme survives, but more importantly information regarding internet memes that possess strong memetic power that leaves a mark on internet culture. In general, memes reach peak popularity, enters a half-life, and eventually become outdated and no longer used, which is referred to as a dead meme. However, we have outliers that are strong enough to be revived under the right susceptibility conditions. Among modern memes, to name a few, I would consider Pepe the frog, This is fine, Most interesting man in the world, a woman yelling at a cat, etc. to be such an Internet meme that can resurface and find new relevance.
I wonder if there exist any research into these form of super memes, outliers, or if there is a term with broad consensus describing them, that differentiate it from a simple "dead meme",
second, any information on the lifespan of an internet meme would be welcomed.
regards, repulsiveWilliam

I can't point you to any research because I'm not really that into it, but I can tell you that memes don't have a consistent lifespan. Some last forever without change some don't.

It's hard to even claim that memes can die, because they can suddenly come back, like with 'cover yourself in oil' which technically began in 2010.

Ozzzim wrote:

I can't point you to any research because I'm not really that into it, but I can tell you that memes don't have a consistent lifespan. Some last forever without change some don't.

It's hard to even claim that memes can die, because they can suddenly come back, like with 'cover yourself in oil' which technically began in 2010.

Thank you for your input. I agree and oppose the usage of the term "dead meme" which is quite often used in academic papers concerning Internet memes. Instead, I would like to propose a more suitable term closer to a latent state. "cover yourself in oil" is a great example where even a classic troll meme can resurface, I will use it.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!