Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

alternatively, how can anime and manga win you back?

Last posted Oct 02, 2018 at 10:41PM EDT. Added Sep 28, 2018 at 06:29PM EDT
16 posts from 13 users

some time ago, i posted thread about how cartoons and comics can win you back and i thought "well i see some give up anime" so why not.

so, if given the chance, how can anime and manga win you back?

maybe being less derivative of each other will help

I don't mind anime being derivative of other sources, but I wish the anime of today stopped relying so much on common anime/manga tropes for character development and comedy.

As much as I enjoy reading Fire Force for its artwork and world-building, it really sucks me out of when one of the characters feels forced to have a lewd accident gimmick to her that gets beaten in like a hammer to the point where it overshadows her character personality.

A Wolf wrote:

Maybe when a majority of anime and anime culture stops revolving around pedophillia, rape, or incest.
Or pedophillic incest rape.

There's a very good reason for that. Japan is very sexually repressed that I'm not even surprised some fetish pop up in there anime. I'm lucky enough to watch anime that literally has nine of that. Sadly it's quite rare even for today and it has a tendency fail as nerds don't like anime taking risk.

I think to be honest, if you have a hard time with the popular or mainstream anime that is a little too run by the numbers, then you should start going into the more obscure ones or at least try to find hidden gems that go underneath the radar.

Like Spice and Wolf might seem fanservice at a glance but it has more underneath as a look and teaching of medieval economics that it is pretty true sometimes that folks watch it for the economics or rather come for the cute wolf girl but stay for the economics.

For me personally, the anime that got me back into checking some out is Kaiji

And I have to agree with Eyepatch Wolf that this anime is one of the best if not the best gambling anime I have ever seen since it does have stakes, the MC is reasonably smart and likeable enough character but can lose and lose bad enough that he can lose body parts and often because he took too big of a risk due to his flaws.

Then if you are looking for rather good subtle social political commentary piece that makes for a good horror story, then Perfect Blue. But generally Satoshi Kon's work is usually pretty damn good.

And of course, my recent discovery of Memories anthology, with my favourite among the shorts being Magnetic Rose.

Like there is probably a good amount of anime titles out there that aren't cliche or don't follow the trends of recent anime and just do their own thing, mostly you got to dig for them much like say people have to dig through terrible or meh indie titles on Steam to find the really good indie games that fit their tastes or the likes of say the likes of Riiser of Webcomic Relief had to go through with furry webcomics until people recommended him Lackadaisy and Dreamkeepers. It is pretty much Sturgeon's Law, where like 90% of a genre or really everything is mostly considered

or

Last edited Sep 29, 2018 at 12:03PM EDT

Kappapeachie wrote:

he's saying a lot of people seem to have a fondness for lolis….

Sounds a lot more like a personal issue randomly vented at anime as a whole than an anime-wide issue. JoJo, MHA, One-Punch Man, DBZ, One Piece, Naruto, Attack on Titan, Sailor Moon, InuYasha, Pop Team Epic, Hellsing, Free!, Kitaro, Aggretsuko, Little Witch Academia, Kemono Friends, Land of the Lustrous – I could literally waste all my day naming anime both modern and classic that have no trace of that or the other 2 things he mentioned. I cannot speak for the hentai genre, of course – I do assume that they are indeed more present there, but to be frank, I could not care less even if I tried. I am not enough of a weirdo creep to be policing what other people should be getting off to according to my moral compass. They can get off to Kermit fucking Trump, for all I goddamn care. Not my life, not my business.

But eh, I already got used to the random enlightened English-speaking internet denizen randomly, gratuituously complaining about loli existing, specially on this site. You get used to seeing that level of puritanism at some point, to be honest. (yes, that last remark means we do not get to read things like these on other countries - it is very much a first world country thing, too dense and pointless to feel worthy of complaining about compared to just about any other life problem out there)

I try to judge an individual series by itself or comparisons to others in its genre rather than by the trends of the entire medium alone, and you kind of have to accept that anime is formulaic in the same way super hero movies are formulaic. Devil's in the details and that's the bit that interests fans.

I can look at ecchi and say "K, that's ecchi, some of them I find have funny concepts but I know the primary aim is titillation and that isn't my thing" or I can look at a fighting series and know that it probably won't interest you if you don't like what is essentially a series of fight scenes, while being well aware there are most likely plenty of exceptions, and fans of these genres will spend ages telling me why Dragonball definitely isn't like those others. Sometimes I even agree.

What I'm into mostly is slice of life and to be perfectly frank, they are 95% the same show over and over again. This is fine. I got not qualms with stock elements or genre fiction.

I feel OP's question is a bit too general, not really sure what is being asked.

ballstothewall wrote:

I try to judge an individual series by itself or comparisons to others in its genre rather than by the trends of the entire medium alone, and you kind of have to accept that anime is formulaic in the same way super hero movies are formulaic. Devil's in the details and that's the bit that interests fans.

I can look at ecchi and say "K, that's ecchi, some of them I find have funny concepts but I know the primary aim is titillation and that isn't my thing" or I can look at a fighting series and know that it probably won't interest you if you don't like what is essentially a series of fight scenes, while being well aware there are most likely plenty of exceptions, and fans of these genres will spend ages telling me why Dragonball definitely isn't like those others. Sometimes I even agree.

What I'm into mostly is slice of life and to be perfectly frank, they are 95% the same show over and over again. This is fine. I got not qualms with stock elements or genre fiction.

I feel OP's question is a bit too general, not really sure what is being asked.

it does feel bit open ended yes. more specifically, i hear some folks quit anime cuz it was aiming towards repressed nerds or something. or, it just got stupider when they kept on doing isekai. i agree that an anime doesn't have to be a masterpiece to be good. i enjoy shows low grand blue and what not cuz they make me laugh. just my two cents.

I'm more of a video game guy than an anime/cartoon guy, but what I can say is that the isekai genre exploded and needs to die. Or at the very least, come out with more series that actually have interesting characters.

Honestly I'd prefer a standard fantasy story over another "fish out of water with a twist" story.

I'm the same boat as above poster, except I don't really know where to start with anime in general.

I tried with "Love Live" as my "first anime for a long time" because my friend told me it was coolio, but after 2 episodes, it wasn't really my type of anime or even shows in general.

And then I just came back to play vidyas and never tried another anime ever again.

I haven't given up on the medium, I just haven't had much time as of late to watch anime. It doesn't help that none of the recent series to "explode" in online popularity have really caught my eye, which would require me to dig around and find something I wanted to watch.

I am waiting for Toei and/or Funimation to unfuck the One Piece anime. Given how long it took them to fix up DBZ, I'll probably have to wait quite a long time. I gave up halfway through Thriller Bark because of how unbearable the constant flashbacks and "devote half the fucking episode to recapping shit that happened in the last episode" were. I think the thing that pisses me off the most is that I actually really enjoyed the filler stuff in the show. G8 was canon-tier (and way, way better than the Davy Back Fight), the SoL episodes after Water 7 were good, even that arc with the fat commodare I enjoyed.

So why did they throw all that away in favor of ungodly slow pacing and terrible flashbacks?

I suppose if there is an issue with the medium it's the reliance on "AAA" anime to be based on ongoing popular manga--which results in lengthy delays, filler or bad pacing which can cripple and really do damage to the series, and the never edning fandom debates over which is better.

Last edited Oct 02, 2018 at 02:05AM EDT

False Ye Arte wrote:

I'm the same boat as above poster, except I don't really know where to start with anime in general.

I tried with "Love Live" as my "first anime for a long time" because my friend told me it was coolio, but after 2 episodes, it wasn't really my type of anime or even shows in general.

And then I just came back to play vidyas and never tried another anime ever again.

Love live is trash anime so it's no wonder why you got bored. Trust me, I also only watched 2 episodes and got bored. Go with something like Death Note, My Hero Academia, or Full Metal Alchemist.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!