Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Do the ‘great’ CalArtoons REALLY live up to their hype?

Last posted Nov 13, 2018 at 08:46PM EST. Added Nov 12, 2018 at 08:34PM EST
3 posts from 3 users

You know which ones I’m talking about. Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Star VS. The Forces of Evil, Regular Show, The Amazing World of Gumball, Rick & Morty, Wander Over Yander, Over the Garden Wall, We Bare Bears, OK:KO – Let’s Be Heroes, and the like. Whenever people say “Western cartoons can be just as good as anime,” or “modern cartoons are just as good, if not better than classic ones,” these are inevitably the ones they always point to. Out of all the ones here that I’ve seen so far, I’d say that they either reach their supposed quality, maybe even barely surpass it, or at least almost reach it. And for the longest time, most KYM users universally agreed that these cartoons were good. And yet, recently, I’ve noticed that some of you kind of dislike them…And I don’t mean “like them but think they’re a tad overrated” or “like them but don’t love them.” No, I mean, actually hate them. This caught me off-guard, to be honest. Sure, there are some factions of you that still love them, but it honestly seems that the whole “actually fuck these shows” division of Know Your Meme is growing stronger and stronger, which leads me to ask this: Are these series’ really as great as everyone says they are?

First off, Bill, good lord do some formatting. Walls of texts like these tend to be a big turn-off when it comes topics of discussions because it initially makes it look like a giant run-on sentence, plus it doesn't give the reader a break to process some of the topics presented at hand.

Now on to the actual subject matter. The short answer is "it depends".
The long answer is still "it depends", because from your list alone, there are waaaaaaaaaaay too many variables when it comes to animation quality, storyboarding, writing, corporate, publishing, marketing, etc. I could go on forever about the production process of something like Wander Over Yonder vs. Adventure time. They are all way too different to generalize as "CalArtoons" like you may have and as a result have vastly different opinions from the audiences, even those who solely watch Western Animation.

As for the comparisons to anime and "classic cartoons", that's just defunct. "Do these modern cartoons hold their own against anime and the classics?" The answer to that is "they can", not an objective "they do/don't", because as somebody said before, art is entirely subjective and is an individual's opinion that may or may not be shared amongst a community. Plus, cherry picking is a thing, as when people complained about Big Mouth being a thing and showed off their fake anime wives in the same post. Like yeah, no bias there.

TL;DR - Q: "Are these series' really as great as everyone says they are?"
A: It depends on who you talk to. Everyone can like different things for different reasons.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!