Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,566 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

91st Academy Award Nominations

Last posted Feb 28, 2019 at 04:35PM EST. Added Jan 22, 2019 at 03:00PM EST
25 posts from 8 users

That time of year again, the Oscar nominations got announced is it time to pull out the Fuck the Oscars gif?
From the Oscars website

BEST PICTURE

• Black Panther
  • BlacKkKlansman
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • The Favourite
  • Green Book
  • Roma
  • A Star Is Born
  • Vice

DIRECTING

• Spike Lee (BlacKkKlansman)
  • Pawel Pawlikowski (Cold War)
  • Yorgos Lanthimos (The Favourite)
  • Alfonso CuarΓ³n (Roma)
  • Adam McKay (Vice)

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

• Christian Bale (Vice)
  • Bradley Cooper (A Star Is Born)
  • Willem Dafoe (At Eternity's Gate)
  • Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
  • Viggo Mortensen (Green Book)

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

• Mahershalla Ali (Green Book)
  • Adam Driver (BlacKkKlansman)
  • Sam Elliot (A Star Is Born)
  • Richard E. Grant (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)
  • Sam Rockwell (Vice)

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
NOMINEES

• Yalitza Aparicio (Roma)
  • Glenn Close (The Wife)
  • Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
  • Lady Gaga (A Star Is Born)
  • Melissa McCarthy (Can You Ever Forgive Me?)

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
NOMINEES

• Amy Adams (Vice)
  • Marina de Tavira (Roma)
  • Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
  • Emma Stone (The Favourite)
  • Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

• Incredibles 2
  • Isle of Dogs
  • Mirai
  • Ralph Breaks the Internet
  • Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

CINEMATOGRAPHY

• Cold War
  • The Favourite
  • Never Look Away
  • Roma
  • A Star Is Born

COSTUME DESIGN

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
  • Black Panther
  • The Favourite
  • Mary Poppins Returns
  • Mary Queen of Scotts

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)

• Free Solo
  • Hale County This Morning, This Evening
  • Minding the Gap
  • Of Fathers and Sons
  • RBG

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)

• Black Sheep
  • End Game
  • Lifeboat
  • A Night At the Garden
  • Period. End of Sentence.

FILM EDITING

• BlacKkKlansman
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • The Favourite
  • Green Book
  • Vice

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

• Capernaum (Lebanon)
  • Cold War (Poland)
  • Never Look Away (Germany)
  • Roma (Mexico)
  • Shoplifters (Japan)

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING

• Border
  • Mary Queen of Scotts
  • VICE

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)

• Black Panther (Ludwig Goransson)
  • BlacKkKlansman (Terence Blanchard)
  • If Beale Street Could Talk (Nicholas Britell)
  • Isle of Dogs (Alexandre Desplat)
  • Mary Poppins Returns (Marc Shaiman)

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

• All the Stars (Black Panther; Music by Mark Spears, Kendrick Lamar Duckworth and Anthony Tiffith; Lyric by Kendrick Lamar Duckworth, Anthony Tiffith and Solana Rowe)
  • I'll Fight (RBG; Music and Lyric by Diane Warren)
  • The Place Where Lost Things Go (Mary Poppins Returns; Music by Marc Shaiman; Lyric by Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman)
  • Shallow (A Star Is Born; Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando and Andrew Wyatt)
  • When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs; Music and Lyric by David Rawlings and Gillian Welch)

PRODUCTION DESIGN

• Black Panther
  • The Favourite
  • First Man
  • Mary Poppins Returns
  • Roma

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

• Animal Behaviour
  • Bao
  • Late Afternoon
  • One Small Step
  • Weekends

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

• Detainment
  • Fauve
  • Marguerite
  • Mother
  • Skin

SOUND EDITING

• Black Panther
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • First Man
  • A Quiet Place
  • Roma

SOUND MIXING

• Black Panther
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • First Man
  • Roma
  • A Star Is Born

VISUAL EFFECTS

• Avengers: Infinity War
  • Christopher Robin
  • First Man
  • Ready Player One
  • Solo: a Star Wars Story

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)

• The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen)
  • BlacKkKlansman (Charlie Wachtel & David Rabinowitz and Kevin Willmott & Spike Lee)
  • Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty)
  • If Beale Street Could Talk (Barry Jenkins)
  • A Star Is Born (Eric Roth and Bradley Cooper & Will Fetters)

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

• The Favourite (Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara)
  • First Reformed (Paul Schrader)
  • Green Book (Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly)
  • Roma (Alfonso CuarΓ³n)
  • Vice (Adam McKay)

elmashojaldra wrote:

I really want "Into the Spider-Verse" to win the animation category.

I think it will. Anyways, who are you guys rooting for in Best Picture?

For Best Picture, I'm guessing Black Parther, though second guesses are Bohemian Rhapsody or Vice. For Animated Picture, I want Spider Man to win, but I enjoyed Isle of Dogs, which I also want to win.

Deblod100 wrote:

For Best Picture, I'm guessing Black Parther, though second guesses are Bohemian Rhapsody or Vice. For Animated Picture, I want Spider Man to win, but I enjoyed Isle of Dogs, which I also want to win.

If Bohemian Rhapsody wins, I can't imagine the reactions simply based on who's credited as director. The reactions were bad enough when it won at the Golden Globes, so if it wins the Oscar for that…
Well, as much as I liked BohRap and BP, I honestly don't think they're Best Picture worthy, which is why it surprises me they got nominated for Best Picture (especially Black Panther, which I think is the Academy's ploy to try and get more viewers)

And I am predicting Spider-Verse to win. If Incredibles 2 or Ralph Breaks the Internet win, despite that I enjoyed those two I'd lose even more faith in these awards because Spider-Verse is much better than those two. I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Like the first impressions of fair discourse compared to those in KYM Discord server which has no or few discourse. I hope that the Oscars admits their bias about Disney for being the best at animation like no else ever is.

It doesn't make any sense when the Oscars had to rule out some animated shorts from being potentially nominated just because it's availability. I mean Roma's on Netflix and they can still nominate that while it's available anytime, so why not these. Rules from the festivals, curse you! Anyways, One Small Step is the only nominee that is available to watch online officially. In my opinion, this should win over Bao for the better improvement of this category.

Weekends would've been the second if it wasn't for the password-protection.

For the future of this category, I strongly suggest to visit this top-notch curation on the website that has been for 15 years.

The other day I saw "Roma" on Netflix to see what's the fuss about it and these are my impressions:

The film narrates the average day of a family of middle-upper class in Mexico City set in the 70's. We follow Cleo the maid servant of the house: cleaning, playing with the kids of Miss. Sofia, talking with her friend, etc. etc.

Cuaron uses lots of symbolism/foreshadowing in this film, one that is very present is water: there's water at opening scene where Cleo is cleaning dog poop, the scene where fire shows up in the forest and people uses buckets to extinguish it, the rain scenes and of course at the climax where Cleo confess about the baby she loses. There are some very obvious and then are subtle ones: there's one scene where Cleo is sitting, waiting for the kids to watch a movie outside of the cinema, besides her there one tiny marionette and suddenly that marionette stops moving, probably symbolizing the baby she loses.

The stuff I don't like about the film is that very very slow, the first hour and half felt like filler to me, I didn't like the kids actors and I feel a little bit more dialogue wouldn't hurt this film (most of the actions of the protagonist are told through actions).

Is there one thing that I would praise Roma it would be the fact rich and poor people aren't that different one of each other, and you can see in that in Ms. Sofia and Cleo characters: both suffer the misfortune of their boyfriend/husband is cheating them, and it's something I'd give credit for that didn't trivialize that difference like most mexican films would do it. Cuaron really synchronized every single actor in this film, nobody had screen time less or more than needed, to portrait how was life at the time.

I will say though Netflix did really a good job pushing this for the Oscars, and I think this would look much better if was on a big screen rather than a 32'' tv screen (where I saw it). Being on their stream service will help the film since people who missed it can watch it there and it always be there, to watch it again, rewind it and stuff like that. And it will help Netflix to prove themselves that they can produce quality stuff and not to licensing whatever garbage Disney left behind.

TL;DR "Roma" imo deserves the oscar for the technical stuff: best sound mixing/editing, cinematography and production. I wouldn't be mad if Cuaron gets his second oscar for best director but I'm not quite sure if deserves best film, I want Yalitza Aparicio to win best actress just for the lulz and el borras is best girl.

Adam DeLand wrote:

I think we're forgetting the most important problem here:, the best documentary category doesn't include "Won't You Be My Neighbor".

Not a lot of folks care about Best Documentary. Just focus on the big deal like Best Picture.

Jill Hopkins said:

I hope that the Oscars admits their bias about Disney for being the best at animation like no else ever is.

The Academy doesn't give a shit about animated movies. The only reason Disney wins is because it's the only animated movie that's nominated that the people actually watch, usually because they take their kids to see it.

It's like people who go to the ballot box, then randomly pick judges for their courts because they don't know anything about them and there's no D or R next to the name to help them decide.

Thanks for the understanding. May contain venting ↓
>Citation came from Cartoon Covfefe
>Article published four/five years ago.
>tfw ↓

Now to be fair on replying, I still wonder if the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences turned out to be still not speaking about the best for the democracy, but for special interests, more importantly the disclosure and even discrepancy revealing about how the judges can tell if they watched or not. Poor word of mouth spreading I assume, they aren't influencers among movie-buffs.

Last edited Jan 30, 2019 at 05:57PM EST

Best Supporting Actress – Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
Best Documentary Feature – Free Solo
Best Makeup and Hairstyling – Vice
Best Costume Design – Black Panther
Best Production Design – Black Panther

Last edited Feb 24, 2019 at 08:39PM EST

Best Cinematography – Roma
Best Sound Editing – Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Sound Mixing – Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Foreign Language Film – Roma (Mexico)

Last edited Feb 24, 2019 at 09:06PM EST

Best Film Editing – Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Supporting Actor – Mahershala Ali (Green Book)

Last edited Feb 24, 2019 at 09:24PM EST

Best Animated Short – Bao
Best Documentary Short Subject – Period. End Of Sentence
Best Visual Effects – First Man
Best Live Action Short Film – Skin

Last edited Feb 24, 2019 at 10:08PM EST

Best Original Screenplay – Green Book
Best Adapted Screenplay – BlacKkKlansman
Best Original Score – Black Panther
Best Original Song – Shallow (A Star Is Born)

Last edited Feb 24, 2019 at 10:27PM EST

Best Actor – Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Best Actress – Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Best Director – Alfonso CuarΓ³n (Roma)

Last edited Feb 24, 2019 at 11:09PM EST

I was at work so I wasn't able to watch the Oscars. However, I needed the bathroom so once I finished my bathroom break, I saw on TV they were actually about to present the Best Animated Feature Award. I was just like "Oh shit, here we go." I was a bit shaky, worried that they might not give it to Spider-Verse. Sure enough, Spider-Verse won. Best bathroom break I've ever had.
No offense to Incredibles 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet, I thought they were good movies, but Spider-Verse just dominates over those two.

As for the other winners, glad Rami Malek won. He was great as Freddie Mercury, from the mannerisms to the voice (well, not singing). Speaking of, despite that I liked Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody I would've been concerned if either of those got the Best Picture award.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!