Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

unpopular opinions: i'll never take western animation serisouly

Last posted Mar 12, 2019 at 05:25PM EDT. Added Mar 04, 2019 at 08:47PM EST
6 posts from 6 users

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

sure there's some "cartoons" i enjoy but for the most part…i just don't take them seriously and the cartoon community can be…sweet freaking lord,. the alternatives are any better. anime is notorious for being riddled with overdone cliches and obsession with cute comfy shit. and live action shows never appealed to me ever but i tolerate live action movies for some reason.

so i guess i'm left with my on animation. btw what happened to bill?

Personally I tend to not care for any of the communities other than the film one, and even then I try to ignore the Marvel, DC, and Star Wars franchises because to be real I find the films in all of those to be rather dull

Last edited Mar 04, 2019 at 09:24PM EST

For quite a while I couldn't find many people I could talk about animation with. KYM users aren't as eager to discuss it as they used to. Strangely enough I found /co/ to be more than adequate for me.

I mean, sure, the anons are a bit of a rough crowd but plenty of them do care about the medium and know their stuff. It was refreshing to meet people who do more than complain about anything new. I've never been this up-to-date with cartoon news before.

I'll make you this question OP: did you ever seen animated foreign/independent films not made by Disney/Dreamworks/Blue Sky studios etc. Because I'm pretty these folks don't have Disney budgets for their films, but the realizators really care to take animation as a medium to try to tell a story and not as a way to promote toys or product placement aimed to kids.

The fact in the West there still exist the stigma of "cartoons are only for kids" doesn't really help to establish animation as a medium of storytelling, a medium to tell any kind of story. Yeah there's animation for adults in the likes of adult swim and shows like South Park, but most of the time is for comedy effects (ofc there are exceptions like Bojack but are really far and in between). Anime also has proven that if they want it they can tell stories "not suitable for kids", and that something you have to respect the Japanese, anime has a plethora of subgenres: from your standard modern isekai trash to the weirdly artistry experimental films from the 70's/80's.

I does not help Disney has an absolutely monopoly in this regard, sure the majority of their films are gorgeous, have lots memorable characters, good songs and iconic moments in the history of the medium, that establish Disney/Pixar as one of the most important companies, so much that now are owners of 75%/80% of all the entertainment media (at least in the US). So success like that made us believe that if you want to success in the animation industry you'd force to make adaptations of children's stories, add some songs here and there, make sure your film is whimsical and magic and Profit! your film is eligible to win one of the most predictable Oscar categories. I like Disney but you'll never see them making an animated documentary about a soldier with PSTD or a film about autism, depression and suicide thoughts.

You didn't really say why you don't take it seriously.
Which is why I'm not taking your opinion seriously.

It's an entire medium of entertainment, generalization on such a massive scale just isn't possible. I think your opinion is rightfully unpopular.

Last edited Mar 06, 2019 at 05:57AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!