Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

Unpopular Opinion: I like Disney's remakes

Last posted Apr 14, 2019 at 12:56AM EDT. Added Apr 13, 2019 at 11:42PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

I've mentioned before that almost everything that I like has a bigger anti-fandom than fandom, but it seems that with these movies everywhere I go there's nothing but extreme hatred for them. I keep mentioning that all these complainers need to pipe down, but I always get downvoted whenever I do. Now granted the only ones that I have actually seen are the ones that are positively received from critics, so that doesn't include the Alice movies, Maleficent and now recently Dumbo (the upcoming ones are still up in the air, but I have high hopes). Each one that I've seen I have liked, but no one on the internet, especially here, has any positivity for them.

Now just for the record, what makes me like them is mostly due to how I lower my expectations on them and just say to myself that there's no way they're ever going to top the original. For example, I gave the new Beauty and the Beast an 8, though the original I gave a 10, that way I can say I like still like both even if the new one is still imperfect. I also see these remakes as experimental to the studio in seeing if they can actually vision their classic films in such a matter. I just wish there were others that shared this opinion on this that way I never feel alone on this.

Adam DeLand wrote:

I've mentioned before that almost everything that I like has a bigger anti-fandom than fandom, but it seems that with these movies everywhere I go there's nothing but extreme hatred for them. I keep mentioning that all these complainers need to pipe down, but I always get downvoted whenever I do. Now granted the only ones that I have actually seen are the ones that are positively received from critics, so that doesn't include the Alice movies, Maleficent and now recently Dumbo (the upcoming ones are still up in the air, but I have high hopes). Each one that I've seen I have liked, but no one on the internet, especially here, has any positivity for them.

Now just for the record, what makes me like them is mostly due to how I lower my expectations on them and just say to myself that there's no way they're ever going to top the original. For example, I gave the new Beauty and the Beast an 8, though the original I gave a 10, that way I can say I like still like both even if the new one is still imperfect. I also see these remakes as experimental to the studio in seeing if they can actually vision their classic films in such a matter. I just wish there were others that shared this opinion on this that way I never feel alone on this.

I have only seen (all of) Maleficent, Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast. (Does 101 Dalmatians count? I saw that when I was 5.)

I enjoyed Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast, but it still felt like they were watered down versions of the originals.
I enjoyed Maleficent… less. Much less. But I can at least respect that it had it's own identity outside of the original.

I kind of agree with the general consensus that they're a little soulless. It honestly feels borderline insulting to animation as a medium to give these movies an "upgrade" by remaking them in live-action. They aren't irredeemably bad, but they just feel a little pointless to me.

You're obviously well within your rights to enjoy whatever you choose to, but I wouldn't expect your opinion to become any less popular.
I'd venture to say that when they take to shitting on people for defending the remakes, that's pretty out of line, but…
you getting downvotes for telling those "complainers" to "pipe down"?
Maybe just don't do that.
Or learn to live with your downvotes.

Last edited Apr 14, 2019 at 12:57AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!