Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,575 total conversations in 825 threads

+ New Thread

Movies or shows that critics hate but you like

Last posted May 26, 2020 at 12:12AM EDT. Added May 12, 2020 at 12:16AM EDT
13 posts from 13 users

One good example right off the bat is Joe Dirt. A comedy film starring David Spade that came out in the early 00s, the movie was mostly panned by critics and only a modest box office success (it had a budget of around $17 million and made around $31 million), but I always found something enjoyable about it. Maybe it's because in spite of the title character's somewhat stereotypical "white trash" appearance and demeanor he's still a generally likable underdog type of character. Not to mention some memorable cameos from people like Christopher Walken in the movie as well. I remember hearing it got a sequel in 2015 through Crackle but it seems even fans of the original don't like it very much so in that case at least it sounds like I'm not missing much.

Another example of guilty pleasure movie for me is the Kevin James comedy "Zookeeper." Basically it's a movie about Kevin James as a zookeeper who suddenly realizes he can speak to animals, which of course draws comparisons to Dr. Dolittle. I just found the characters likable enough that even if the movie isn't particularly original it's still a good movie to pass the time with.

I've got two that are recent, Godzilla King of the Monsters and Venom (2018), even when I, somebody with absolute cero formation in the art of moviemaking can see that they're very flawed stories have something that is just very alluring to me.

I guess that these two movies talk to my inner kid, seeing a Radioactive Dinosaur with his Moth GF beating the living shit out a Space Dragon or seeing one of my favorites comic-book character just to goof around in the big screen that just keep me entertained for hours with no end.

Ahhh, classic question.

One that comes to mind is Baz Luhrmann's adaptation of "The Great Gatsby." I thought it captured the book very well with the story and characters, but if there's one thing I can agree upon the camera editing is atrocious and the music, while I like a lot of the songs, they can be rather jarring since this is supposed to be in the Roaring 20's yet we have Jay-Z, Kanye--I'll give him Lana del Ray though.

This one's hard for me since I generally go with critical consensus over audience consensus. There are a few that come to mind.

55 Days At Peking is a movie I thoroughly enjoy that's gotten rather middling/low critical reviews. The subject matter of the Boxer Rebellion is something I was really into at the time I watched it and the movie, while not very historical, definitely captures the scale of things. It's right there in the golden era of history movies where budgets were big enough and effects were still practical that everything looked awe-inspiring. The scale of this movie was so big they hired nearly every Chinese person in Europe to be an extra in this. I think it mainly flopped critically for the same reasons that A Bridge Too Far fell short critically: more emphasis on developing the scenes of the history than developing the characters.

One film that I think deserves more attention despite its reception is Max Keeble's Big Move. Released three years before Ned's Declassified premiered, this has a lot of the same feel to it, and has some funny over-the-top performances from Larry Miller and Jamie Kennedy. The one main factor in the film that I want to point out is the stereotypical bully character who at first seems shallow and cliched, but then they throw in a hilarious backstory into why he's this way and it later gets exploited against him.

Cronus wrote:

Freddy Got Fingered

you love it or hate it

That movie makes me uncomfortable in that half the time I'm thinking "wtf is wrong with Tom Green" and the other half I'm dying laughing. Unless I'm high. Then I'm laughing the whole time. I highly recommend watching it while high on weed.

I have a really soft spot for Rock-a-Doodle, one of the surprisingly few Don Bluth movies I have clear memories of watching as a kid. Keep in mind that I grew up with the Norwegian dub, which among other things had a much better voice for the main character than that Elmer Fudd voice the original film gave him.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!