Forums / Media / Moving Images

18,567 total conversations in 823 threads

+ New Thread

The idea of Gatekeeping

Last posted Feb 18, 2021 at 11:33AM EST. Added Feb 15, 2021 at 08:17PM EST
15 posts from 15 users

Gatekeeping involves trying to control and usually limit access to something. In the case of media, it’s trying to prevent certain people from being considered fans of something because of certain characteristics or stigmas. Sometimes, it’s because of a fear involving their favorite works being censored or becoming turned into propaganda.

This tweet in particular seeks to gatekeep anime by shaming those who enjoy the more popular and well-known anime. He has since drawn ire from numerous users who believe he’s a No Fun Allowed kind of person.

In my opinion, while it’d be nice to have a fandom without any annoying people, as it stands, it’s not really possible. Therefore, gatekeeping is useless and makes one come off as a bully.

Any thoughts?

Fuck gatekeeping and gatekeepers. World would be a lot better if those toxic cunts shut their assholes and let people openly enjoy whatever gives them pleasure (as long as they aren't causing quantifiable harm to others) without insisting they're not a "true fan" because they don't meet some arbitrary criteria

And while we're at it fuck Bill Gates too. Not really related I just don't like what he created

Gatekeeping I feel, is a very case-by-case basis. I feel any group should be allowed to use discretion at who may be admitted, though I also agree that a lot of the time, people use their discretion far more stringently than what may be required, and they come off as control freaks or elitists.

Being as aspiring biologist, I'll use an analogy relevant to my field. Cells have to regulate what gets through the cell membrane. Various protein complexes in that membrane dictate what gets in and out depending on a variety of things, such the needs of the cell (basic things like water and nutrients), the cell's specific purpose (for example, a neuron (nerve cell) will have different needs than a myocyte (muscle cell), a specific point in the cell's life cycle, etc.

A cell needs to bring in new material to keep itself alive. Many types of dissolved nutrients need to come in through active transport. The process requires energy, as ATP hydrolysis is required for a membrane protein to change conformation (or shape), opening up to the outside environment and taking in a solute particle (a nutrient), then changing conformation again to let the particle in question into the cytosol – the inside of the cell. It's specialized of course – the proteins have a receptor site that recognizes certain particles and binds to them when the protein is open to the outside environment, then releases the particle into the cytosol when its conformation changes back. Without this process, the cell may not be able to get all the nutrients it needs. Glucose and sucrose, essential to the cycle of cell metabolism, cannot easily permeate the cell membrane by themselves. Essential ions, like potassium+, cannot get in. The cell will die.

Likewise, a lot of fandoms and groups I've been in have withered and died because the barrier of entry was a little much. Some people are content with this, taking the maxim "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain" a little too close to heart. But all too often, someone who has genuine interest and means no harm is turned away because of paranoia, and frankly, because it takes energy to let someone new in. Like the active transport proteins fighting against a solute gradient, you have to fight against your fears that a girl coming in is only there to gather simps, get attention, and leave with her new paypigs before leaving your group in shambles. See if they're actually a fit – "change your conformation" as matter of speaking, even if it does take energy. As long as they "fit your receptor sites" or show that they have what you're looking for, there's little reason not to let them in. If they don't "fit your receptor site" they don't get in. Simple as that. When in doubt, don't be afraid to use energy and see if someone is worth adding to your group. Being paranoid and ostracizing anyone who comes your way for petty reasons is as easy as it is detrimental

I'm into HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts), and when a joined a group that specifies in my favorite weapon: the Montante, they asked me several questions before letting me in. I had to actually know about the subject. The entire purpose of the group was for discussion of techniques with the weapon, and If I had nothing to add or contribute to that discussion, why would I join? What would they get out of me other than stupid questions I should already know the answer to? There' a lot of people out there who may have joined and made it all into a mess: D&D players who think swords weighed 100 pounds, weeaboos who believe all western swords would be better off if they were folded a billion times and couldn't cut through a bubble bath otherwise, and other people who don't know their stuff could clutter the forum with uneducated questions and theories. You know how it goes: "Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." If I may add a corollary to that, it's "… And the more opinions they have, the more belligerent they are about them." That kind of mess would tear our group apart. Gatekeeping was a necessary as it was harmless. I wasn't hazed. I wasn't threatened. I was just asked about what I knew (Did I fit the receptor sites?), and as soon as I proved I had something to contribute, I was let in without any trouble.

Now, does everything need active transport? No.

Diffusion requires no proteins to move particles or use valuable energy. Things like O2, CO2, and steroid hormones can permeate the cell membrane on their own. Water just flows in through channel proteins called aquaporins. Not everything requires energy, and sometimes, when we're wondering why we didn't get into a group while that other guy did, we wonder why. Some people just seem a lot more able to fit in, and those on the inside may see no reason to really question or hassle them. Ton Puey, a Spanish historical fencing master well known to people in HEMA, would probably not even be given any questions (long as he used a verified account), as I did. He's got the credentials. Like a polar molecule entering the membrane, he would easily bypass the bilayer, interacting more easily with the other polar molecules inside the cytosol. Sometimes, the question is up to us: is this something I want? This group or fandom or whatever I want to join, is it really about something I'm genuinely interested in? Am I prepared to face rejection? Is it really worth my time anyway?

In short, I feel like some gatekeeping is in fact necessary. While breathing new life into a group is necessary for longevity and variety, letting anyone in willy-nilly on the other hand can lead to problems down the road. For a lot of us, a bit of "active transport" may be necessary. If we don't just automatically mesh, we need to be aware that we may or may not "fit the receptors." A hard Aesop to swallow is this: no one owes you fellowship. You have no right to dictate other people to like you or want you around. You have no right to tell other people what their criteria should be, nor tell a more knowledgeable person that their benchmarks are unreasonable.

Still though, for those of us on the inside, not everything on the outside is a toxin. Not everything can get in through facilitated diffusion, where someone who already exudes the aura you're looking for stumbles onto your doorstep. That kind of thing is far rarer in real life in comparison to a cell anyway. Sometimes, you need to be willing to expend some energy, commit to that ATP hydrolysis, change conformation, and actively involve yourself in seeing whether or not this person belongs. Most importantly, you need to be willing to let someone new in if they do indeed fit your criteria.

TL;DR: gatekeeping is necessary sometimes. Maybe not all the time, but it does serve its purpose.

Last edited Feb 15, 2021 at 09:54PM EST

Does his original tweet implying that you have to watch ALL anime to be a true anime fan? If so, that's sound like he's sperging a Not True Scotsman fallacy.

Like for example, going by that logic, if you enjoy watching Formula 1 races a lot, but not knowing other technical stuff, you aren't true hardcore F1 fan apparently, therefore you shall not enjoy.
That ain't gatekeeping, that's just REEE-ing at casual fans, similar to how in late 2000's and early 2010's 4chan reee-ing at normies using memes. A valid example of gatekeeping is GamerGate. Unlike them, they're defending from actual censorship from "game" journalist hacks, ""feminists"", and literal whos, however they didn't' sperg at the fucking people for enjoying video games.

Should you gatekeep from non-fans for something they dislike and want a change in a bad way? Yes, absolutely.
Should you gatekeep from people for actually enjoying your favorite stuff? NO.

Last edited Feb 16, 2021 at 07:10AM EST

Juke's post was pretty spot on.

Some kinds of gatekeeping are good and necessary for a healthy, functioning and permanent community. Others are just elitism and unnecessary insularity.

I was also wondering on this gatekeeping topic. Specifically on preventing letting in fans that like the entries from the "dork age" entries of the franchise.

I was looking into the comment section of Arlo's video "Talking About Paper Mario Has Become Kind of Awful" and one comment kinda stood out to me on mentioning in favor of gatekeeping by preventing fans who are fans of or liked the entries that are usually consider divisive, lesser liked or "bad" of the franchise. Can't exactly remember why but the user mention something along the lines of to keep them out so that the franchise could become "healthy" and that companies would not focus on them as if they would it would cause more deterioration to the franchise. Probably not exact word for word but I think that's what the user is suggesting.

Is it fair to gatekeep fans who liked or have fondness over certain entries despite their negative status or mark on the franchise?

I share the same opinion as many others.

It's a case by case basis, often times I'm averse to gatekeeping because I want more people to enjoy the hobbies I enjoy, however, if those people demand that things about the hobby be changed to suit their needs that's when I draw the line.

Cold Hard Crash wrote:

Gatekeeping involves trying to control and usually limit access to something. In the case of media, it’s trying to prevent certain people from being considered fans of something because of certain characteristics or stigmas. Sometimes, it’s because of a fear involving their favorite works being censored or becoming turned into propaganda.

This tweet in particular seeks to gatekeep anime by shaming those who enjoy the more popular and well-known anime. He has since drawn ire from numerous users who believe he’s a No Fun Allowed kind of person.

In my opinion, while it’d be nice to have a fandom without any annoying people, as it stands, it’s not really possible. Therefore, gatekeeping is useless and makes one come off as a bully.

Any thoughts?

>DBZ
As far as I'm concerned, OG Dragon Ball is the only Dragon Ball.
Also, six dollars says this animecuck's never read a manga in his life.

Far as gatekeeping goes, I'm all for people being able to go into a fandom or a work but I also feel that one may as well be careful of the people coming in. Much as it's nice to have people come in, it's not fun hen said people coming in prove to be toxic, horrible, and the like. Nothing should stop people from enjoying a work but on that same note, they shouldn't be expecting a warm welcome and the like if they prove to be toxic.

I've been having this dilemma when it comes to boxing. On one hand I'm happy it's getting more attention, but on the other I'm not happy it's because of the Paul brothers taking attention away from actual boxers. If their fans are willing to stay for the ride and see what else boxing has to offer them outside of the Paul bros, I'm all for it. But if they are there just for the Paul brothers alone, fuck off – so many other boxers have been putting their lives in danger every time they step into the ring hoping they could get their big break, and the Paul bros come in and get theirs just for being the Paul bros, so I don't want you here if you're not going to stick around. Boxing isn't dead, but it's already hard for casuals to get interested in thanks to all of the politics that occur behind the scenes. I don't want it to be turned into a celebrity clown sport…

tldr: I love boxing, and I'm happy that it's getting more attention these days… but why like this?

As for what I think of gatekeeping, I think my rant goes to show that I believe it to be necessary sometimes.

I share the same sentiment with many, let others enjoy things and stop having a metaphorical dick measuring contest on “who’s a real fan”. Plus this guy strikes me as the type who will say you aren’t a real fan of a thing if you don’t do this thing. So for example, me and him could both like Destiny the Game. He’d pull out this card saying I’m not a true fan of Destiny if I haven’t done all the raids, Solo’d Crota, 2 Manned Wrath of the Machines, Gone Flawless multiple times in Trials of Osiris and Nine and memorized every bit of Strike dialogue from each Strike. You see how fucking dumb that is? Shit like that and other shit like him implying you have to watch every anime to be an anime fan is not only stupid but proves he has a superiority complex. To me it comes off that he’s an anime fan as a trend and personality trait instead of actually liking the medium.

Also he probably smells like cheese.

I'm by no means defending the guy who posted the tweet with his inappropriate ass reaction, but if you check his follow-up tweets, you'll see he did it in response to a clear example of people the fandoms are better off without: hackjob journalists demanding censorship for the sake of "political correctness". And that is not even getting into the companies that readily bend the knee to them or are outright just run by people like them.

I think it has its uses, especially with regards to preventing entryism. Gatekeeping doesn't have to apply to just fandoms, it can also apply to political movements. Plenty of movements and organizations have been derailed by opportunists looking to further their own agendas.

And even with the fandom aspect, I'm sure plenty of people here have experiences with a franchise/series they love being changed in order to appeal to a wider audience and/or bring in/appease new fans, at the expense of the established fandom *cough*acecombatassaulthorizon*cough*. It fucking sucks.

With that said. Having an arbitrary list of opinions and tastes a person must have in order to be considered a "true" _fan just seems kind of douchey.

Last edited Feb 18, 2021 at 11:58AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!