Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Why is this Dimash Kudaibergen so ungodly popular on YouTube but is fairly unknown outside of it?

Last posted Oct 29, 2019 at 08:05AM EDT. Added Oct 28, 2019 at 11:18PM EDT
3 posts from 2 users

While surfing through YouTube's music section, I keep seeing videos of people and "vocal coaches" reacting to some singer named Dimash Kudaibergen. Curious, I decided to look him up and found out that he's a singer known for his six octaves and his viral performances on Chinese reality shows. If you type this name on YouTube, the first suggestion you'll see is most likely "Dimash reaction", proving that his fanbase is probably even bigger than the man himself.

Maybe I'm just living under a rock, but I barely ever see Dimash mentioned outside of YouTube or even in fairly casual music circles. So what's with this discrepancy in popularity?

Personally, I find Dimash to be a talented vocalist wasting his chops on by-the-numbers pop covers. If I had to guess, it's that Dimash is actually a viral marketing ploy tailored specifically to bait YouTubers into reacting to him.

Last edited Oct 28, 2019 at 11:20PM EDT

He's a kazakh, who is mildly known in CIS for his voice and singing performance. He got some fans and i'ven't heard of him in western internet. Try searching for him on RuNet, Димаш Кудайбергенов, though if you don't know Russian, it's going to be a fruitless venture

Trubobit wrote:

He's a kazakh, who is mildly known in CIS for his voice and singing performance. He got some fans and i'ven't heard of him in western internet. Try searching for him on RuNet, Димаш Кудайбергенов, though if you don't know Russian, it's going to be a fruitless venture

That's kind of odd. "Mildly known" seems to be a pretty big understatement for someone whose popularity on the world's largest video sharing platform rivals K-pop stars. Given how big he is on YouTube, I'd assume that he has a massive following in the former CIS countries.

I'm getting even more suspicious about his sudden popularity spike.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!