Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

Virtual concerts in video games might be on the rise and I think it's pretty cool

Last posted Apr 30, 2020 at 04:40PM EDT. Added Apr 25, 2020 at 09:20PM EDT
6 posts from 4 users

For example Fortnite's done this twice with EDM DJ Marshmello and rapper Travis Scott, and recently experimental electronic music duo 100 Gecs held a music festival in Minecraft called "Square Garden" which also doubled as a charity fundraiser (the members of the group also stated that another reason for the virtual concert is because they had plans for a live concert tour but of course Covid-19 put a stop to that), featuring acts such as Kero Kero Benito, Tommy Cash, Parry Grip, Charli XCX, and other underground electronic acts kinda like the organizers 100 Gecs such as Alice Gas and 99Jakes. Even popular music critic Anthony Fantano help bring attention to the festival on his social media.

Now of course I do believe there have been examples of virtual concerts in the past through things like Second Life and similar "social MMOs" but now we're seeing this happen in other types of games, and I'd go so far as to argue with these games you get much bigger audiences than one would see in something such as Second Life just due to the sheer popularity of them.

The best virtual concert I've ever been to was on WaveXR. I really wish more artists would utilize Wave for holding events. But I do have to give it to them, Epic did do a good job with the visuals for that concert. That being said, lack of VR in a virtual concert really does suck the fun out of it.

I dunno, they really gotta offer something special to make it more worthwhile than glorified streamed audio. I admittedly dunno how they could specifically go about doing that, to be fair. Some sort of interactivity, I guess.

LesserAngel wrote:

I dunno, they really gotta offer something special to make it more worthwhile than glorified streamed audio. I admittedly dunno how they could specifically go about doing that, to be fair. Some sort of interactivity, I guess.

In the case of Square Garden there was a neat world to explore with fun references to many things 100 Gecs related (I think Dylan and Laura built it themselves too), plus a bunch of the performers appeared in the world.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

In the case of Square Garden there was a neat world to explore with fun references to many things 100 Gecs related (I think Dylan and Laura built it themselves too), plus a bunch of the performers appeared in the world.

Ok then, would be interesting to see what could be done with other games (Star Citizen would be an interesting candidate if it ever gets to the point of completion.)

plus, a bunch of producers, from weeb anime trans pop artists to dubstep producers performed in Minecraft since 2018 as part of a collective called OpenPit, shit like Coalchella among other virtual concerts, combined with Discord festivals using music bots playing back 1 hour private sets uploaded to SoundCloud or Dropbox, and now games like VRChat among other software is doing a lot of stuff similar to what people did years ago in Minecraft and Discord. Also the Fortnite concerts are good, but the game forces you to see them perform, you can't play battle royale while they're performing. Online fests will be the future, especially since the corona pandemic is cancelling concert by concert.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!