Forums / Media / Music

6,760 total conversations in 425 threads

+ New Thread

I'm really new to Weezer, so I'm genuinely curious: why is this band in general also regarded as a meme?

Last posted Dec 01, 2022 at 06:53PM EST. Added Nov 30, 2022 at 09:56AM EST
2 posts from 2 users

My exposure to Weezer has been very limited in the past, for the longest time I think I really only knew them for the songs "Beverley Hills" and "Pork and Beans" (and the latter is mainly just due to how it was essentially "YouTube Rewind before YouTube Rewind existed"). After finding a video where someone did a Chirpy Chips styled cover of Buddy Holly I began listening to their debut album and will soon listen to Pinkerton, and so far I really like this old school 90s rock sound I'm hearing (apparently Weezer is also lumped with Sunny Day Real Estate as one of the origins of old school emo?). The thing is I have noticed throughout the years that Weezer seems to also be regarded as something of a "meme band," and I admit I'm unsure why. I am aware the band is known for apparently changing their sound often enough that they have fans who prefer different "eras" of Weezer, but because I'm still rather new to them I honestly don't get why this band has the meme status that they do, so I guess I would like a bit of an explanation.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!