Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,267 total conversations in 494 threads

+ New Thread

External Research Recruitment?

Last posted Aug 03, 2014 at 10:01PM EDT. Added Aug 03, 2014 at 12:16PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Hi KYM folks!

I'm a graduate student at the University of Chicago working on an M.A. thesis geared towards better understanding digital culture through memes. A lot of the recent academic meme research (with a few exceptions) has used little to no ethnographic data (interviews, focus groups, participating with the community), and I'm hoping to change that. As a member of this community myself, I think the voices of those who actually give this content life are an (obviously) critical component.

I'd love to recruit interview subjects from the KYM community for short 40-60 min interviews over skype/google. Would it be alright to post a recruitment thread under the "Research" heading? Or is that strictly for internal, KYM work?

Thanks!

Hello, and welcome to the site.

I think the voices of those who actually give this content life are an (obviously) critical component.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, are you looking for the creators of memes? I may be misreading, but this site documents memes and does not create them. There will be little amount of users that are the ones that actually create "memes".

Otherwise, like I said, we do what this site is meant to do. Document internet phenomena. If this is indeed what you're looking for, then we should be able to help. I'm afraid I myself cannot participate, but most likely others are willing, especially some moderators and writers.

Research is probably the best subforum option.

Good luck!

Last edited Aug 03, 2014 at 01:39PM EDT

I'll be willing to be interviewed. I've already participated in a similar study months ago, and I don't mind doing it again.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!