Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,267 total conversations in 494 threads

+ New Thread

Does "Original Content" extends to EDITS made by the uploader itself?

Last posted Apr 26, 2018 at 03:55AM EDT. Added Apr 24, 2018 at 10:32AM EDT
5 posts from 4 users

The title says it all; i just reflected about that option (it specifies "Check this box only if you are the original creator of the image.") and wanted to know if it's meaning extends to edited images of known works that were made by who uploaded it.

For example; an known meme who have templates. If i made my own edit of it and uploaded it here first (or after other websites too), should i mark it with the "Original Content" box?

Another example is self made GIFs; if it was originally an video of another person, but i made an GIF of an cool part and upload it here myself for people to see, should it have the "Original Content" box ticked as well?

Thanks for your attention in advance.

So this is grey territory. The only hard guidelines is that site screenshots should not be considered OC.

If it's a meme with a full entry, and you make an edit of it, even if it's just an object labeling meme or and advice animal, I think it's fine with the OC tag. However, it should also be obvious that you edited it. We don't want something that is labeled as OC but only has a microscopic edit in there that is nearly impossible to see when compared to the original.

As for gifs, it depends. If it's just a few seconds of a video unedited other than just being reduced to those few seconds, then I would say no, unless you were the creator of the original video. If you were to add something to it, like extra text that was not at all related to the original video, then I would say yes, click the OC tag.

Now, as for combined gifs, if the combinations are unrelated I would say yes, it is fine for OC tag. If you mesh, say, Spider-Man and Dragon maid together, it's fine as OC. If you just mesh two scenes together by removeing 20 seconds of video between them, then I would say no.

Unfortunately, there isn't a huge amount of guidance on this ATM, as this is something that the mods only found out at the same time as the rest of the users.

Last edited Apr 24, 2018 at 10:57AM EDT

I haven't tagged it as OC and don't really intend to since I want to credit the artist whose picture I used, but for the sake of argument and clarity, how would the mods feel about this?

I put the meme together but the image on the right was drawn by someone else. Basically, would edits of fan works be considered OC or should the source be the original you edited?

For example; an known meme who have templates. If i made my own edit of it and uploaded it here first (or after other websites too), should i mark it with the “Original Content” box?

Yes. Own versions made using meme templates is OC

Another example is self made GIFs; if it was originally an video of another person, but i made an GIF of an cool part and upload it here myself for people to see, should it have the “Original Content” box ticked as well?

No, link to the original source you took the gif from instead. For this there is also an explanation in the Rules Media Do's and Dont's section.

Last edited Apr 24, 2018 at 02:39PM EDT

All right, i think i got it now, even if there isn't an final/official rule about it.

The best thing to do i'm certain is to tag "OC" on heavy or smart edits of an image, when they have an all around clear difference from the original template. And even then there is some specific points that vary between the meme in question, but of that i'm certain that the uploader should know when to consider it "OC" as well.

On the subject of GIFs, you're absolutely right. I DID read the rules about it actually, but i guess i got confused when talking with the other subject at the same time heh. Anyway the rules are clear and makes sense in the same situation; simple unedited GIFs created from another person's work/footage aren't "OC", but heavy/smart edits (with texts from example) can be considered "OC".

Finally, it's obvious, but in any of those situations there should be made clear the respective reference to the original work(s).

I guess that's that, if there's no more points to be made then i'm certain the explanations are solid, so thanks a lot Mods. Have a good one!

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!