Forums / Discussion / Q & A

3,267 total conversations in 494 threads

+ New Thread

Is there a list of all my comments that the site keeps?

Last posted May 02, 2023 at 07:24AM EDT. Added May 01, 2023 at 12:12AM EDT
4 posts from 2 users

My profile stats say I have 3,552 comments, so I figure there’s probably a list on the backend for every user to get their number of comments. I ask because I’m saving all the images I’ve posted in comments before the Imgur purge potentially wipes them out (also Gyazo and Tumblr ones while I’m at it) and the recent activity only goes back to 2014, leaving a few months unaccounted for after I made the account in 2013. It may not be as simple as a list of comment links or IDs (and you may not be at liberty to share such data), but if a mod or admin has this and wants to help me out I’d greatly appreciate it. Or if you happen to know any “classic” comments of mine from earlier than my recent activity page 148 (April 2014), you can just post them or message me (with or without images, I have no way of finding them anyway).

The only surefire way to view an index of comments (either by a specific user or at all) is via https://knowyourmeme.com/users/jack-the-dipper/comments which is the same as for forum/media uploads, but doesnt have a tab on your user profile for some reason. This is basically just an activity feed, and can sorta accomplish what you want, but expect some gaps for things like hidden/deleted pages. You can also try a regular search engine and look for specific time intervals on the KYM domain if you care about date/time specifically.

Sorry if this isn't a very exciting answer. KYM's backend is a single file called untitled-1.txt and we're only allowed to look at it during religious holidays.

Edit: Your comments go up to page 25 if that helps. The number listed per page varies on whether or not the comment is a reply, so there's no fool-proof way to find this beyond checking if a page exists.

Last edited May 02, 2023 at 07:08AM EDT

After some sleep and a coffee I realize I have, in fact, lied to you like a big dumbass. I was so excited that there might actually be a good KYM feature I forgot to temper my expectations. https://knowyourmeme.com/users/jack-the-dipper/comments is literally just your profile wall which means my ORIGINAL answer is in fact correct: there is no way to view an index of your comments.

The aformentioned search engine with date intervals and specifying the knowyourmeme.com domain still works, but literally the only other way I can think of would be to web scrape an unholy amount of comments (and you still wouldn't see any for pages you don't have access to). This will get you IP banned. I tried it. To skirt under KYM's rate limit you'd need weeks. It aint happening.

Sorry bro :(

Doeoeod wrote:

After some sleep and a coffee I realize I have, in fact, lied to you like a big dumbass. I was so excited that there might actually be a good KYM feature I forgot to temper my expectations. https://knowyourmeme.com/users/jack-the-dipper/comments is literally just your profile wall which means my ORIGINAL answer is in fact correct: there is no way to view an index of your comments.

The aformentioned search engine with date intervals and specifying the knowyourmeme.com domain still works, but literally the only other way I can think of would be to web scrape an unholy amount of comments (and you still wouldn't see any for pages you don't have access to). This will get you IP banned. I tried it. To skirt under KYM's rate limit you'd need weeks. It aint happening.

Sorry bro :(

I did notice that. Thanks anyway.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!