Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,840 total conversations in 1,742 threads

+ New Thread

Images passed the first 20 open new pages when clicked, instead of previewing the image.

Last posted Sep 09, 2024 at 03:37PM EDT. Added Aug 17, 2024 at 07:56PM EDT
7 posts from 4 users

Sorry for the long-winded title. But, it gets the point across. When using the old layout, when you scroll passed a few images in the gallery. Instead of opening a preview, it opens a new tab completely….

Which is rather annoying, if I do say so myself.

This is even worse.

This site uses a JavaScript library called Masonry to display images. It used to put every images into the same layout object, but now it splits galleries into smaller layouts of 20 images so it can insert massives ad banners between them.

Those obstructive ads alone creates large gaps that makes galleries a pain to browse, but this design also completely breaks the navigation because now each layout objects only knows their own 20 images. Before you could easily navigate the preview through 200 images, but now every 20 images, you have to quit the preview to open the preview of the next 20 images chunk.

And yes, it looks like ads break the preview completely sometimes, but funnily enough an ad blocker seems to fix this problem (and the larges gaps problem too). We are once again entering the zone where in an attempt to show more ads to its users, a website ends up forcing them to remove all of them instead…

After that I have only one question for the staff: Bruh, WTF are you doing!? Do you want to kill this site so badly? Hire a real professional web designer and figure out your business model before its too late…

Cuesto wrote:

This is even worse.

This site uses a JavaScript library called Masonry to display images. It used to put every images into the same layout object, but now it splits galleries into smaller layouts of 20 images so it can insert massives ad banners between them.

Those obstructive ads alone creates large gaps that makes galleries a pain to browse, but this design also completely breaks the navigation because now each layout objects only knows their own 20 images. Before you could easily navigate the preview through 200 images, but now every 20 images, you have to quit the preview to open the preview of the next 20 images chunk.

And yes, it looks like ads break the preview completely sometimes, but funnily enough an ad blocker seems to fix this problem (and the larges gaps problem too). We are once again entering the zone where in an attempt to show more ads to its users, a website ends up forcing them to remove all of them instead…

After that I have only one question for the staff: Bruh, WTF are you doing!? Do you want to kill this site so badly? Hire a real professional web designer and figure out your business model before its too late…

I must study coding more seriously in my free time. If I want to be a web designer, I must learn Javascript because that is the hardest thing to do.

Cuesto wrote:

This is even worse.

Ah… ads. Of course. It's all about the MONEY.

Even though they're basically making the site less and less user friendly to have said ads.

Which, at that point, when all the people you want to show ads to are leaving, or spending less time on the site.

Is it worth it?

You know, it's funny.

People use adblockers because random websites aren't entitled to profit off you visiting. The public doesn't want to be bombarded with ads, have longer load times or deal with the plethora of bad ones.

Thing is, I'm happy to make exceptions for websites that I like and use often but KYM runs so terribly that it truly is intolerable to go on here without a blocker. And that's ignoring all the other bullshit they do with UI changes.

Why don't the people running the website get this?

xoxin wrote:

You know, it's funny.

People use adblockers because random websites aren't entitled to profit off you visiting. The public doesn't want to be bombarded with ads, have longer load times or deal with the plethora of bad ones.

Thing is, I'm happy to make exceptions for websites that I like and use often but KYM runs so terribly that it truly is intolerable to go on here without a blocker. And that's ignoring all the other bullshit they do with UI changes.

Why don't the people running the website get this?

Yeah… websites just don't understand.

There is a VERY good reason people use ad blockers.
Ads can be super harmful because of malware and other such things.
They can slow down weaker machines because on videos, they gotta play at the BEST quality. As opposed to your 480p or whatever.

And… they're just annoying when they pop up into a new window, and make you click them off. Because yes, actually ANNOYING your viewer is totally a good way to advertise to them.

Like, I'm okay with a few ads. Heck, sometimes they can remind me about a restaurant or something I like. And be like "oh yeah, we haven't been there for a bit." But… my God, don't make it super inconvenient for the user….

Namaste! You must login or signup first!