Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Gay men supposedly being detained and tortured in Chechnya, Russia.

Last posted May 05, 2017 at 02:16PM EDT. Added Apr 11, 2017 at 04:40PM EDT
10 posts from 9 users

Today I saw this post (with sources) on tumblr about how gay men are arrested and tortured. At first, I was sceptical, but then I googled Chechnya and saw several articles about this topic. I'm worry that this is might be real.

Blue Sun Deluxe wrote:

Today I saw this post (with sources) on tumblr about how gay men are arrested and tortured. At first, I was sceptical, but then I googled Chechnya and saw several articles about this topic. I'm worry that this is might be real.

Sadly it seems it is real.

Joey Corleone wrote:

I'm still skeptical myself, but if it's true I think I now have even less respect for Putin. When will Russia stop being one of the world's most homophobic countries?

Chechnya is not exactly Russia. I mean, yes, it is technically a part of Russia, but everything is different there. Their leader is basically a warlord who is being paid a tribute by the Russian central government to stay loyal, keep local population under control, and keep the Chechen separatists in check. It is very different from the "Russian" Russia, and Russians (as in, an ethnic group) and Chechens hate each other.

That being said, the rest of Russia is also fairly homophobic, but nowhere near "being one of the world’s most homophobic countries". I don't think it has much to do with Putin though.

When I look at news like these, I tend to search for possible traces of media sensationalism. Usually you can see some exaggerations. Unfortunately, in this case the literal defense that the Chechenya officals adopted was "it cannot happen, as there are no homosexuals in our country".

No, seriously. Look it up. For fuck's sake. It's the most retarded denial I've ever heard. Even Russia makes up better stories.

This can easily lead to simply confirm what the sources say – there are camps where gay men are tortured and possibly killed, that police are infiltrating dating sites to catch them and put them there… Terrible.

It doesn't help that Chechnya is an Islamic region of Russia, as opposed the the Russian orthodox Christians in most of russia. It doesn't surprise me that Chechnya looks more like Saudi Arabia than the rest of russia on the gay rights front, considering their ideological commonality.

Last edited May 05, 2017 at 02:16PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!