Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Parallels between the current situation and WW1?

Last posted Feb 09, 2018 at 12:40PM EST. Added Jan 18, 2018 at 05:41AM EST
12 posts from 13 users

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I mean, think about it. Today's events and political shitstorm on the internet have quite in common with the Great war, which, happened 100 years ago. Let's begin, shall we?

First off, we can say the real thing that kicked off the Meme Wars and ensuing political clashes was Gamergate back in 2014, which only really started after Game Journalists launched a coordinated smear campaign against gamers. Seemingly small in the grand scheme of things, but isn't a seemingly "small event in the grand scheme of things" exactly what happened 100 years prior, when Gavrilo Princip shot Archduke Ferdinand?
After both events, global politics became a massive cesspool of circlejerks, accusations and arguing, and in WW1's case descended into all out war, while in our case it became a massive pile of anti journalist, and generally anti-left memes, which they tried (and are still trying) to censor.

The US elections during 2016 coincidentally happened 100 years after both sides in WW1 decided to focus their artillery firepower on completely destroying their enemies, with no regards to collateral damage, which can be reflected in a lot of "meme warfare" where allies are betrayed, seeming friends are exposed, and generally being a massive ruckus that was a pain in the ass for everyone aside from the guys watching from the sides and feeding the conflict (America and weapon manufacturers can be compared to KYM and Trolls, respectively)

Speaking of betrayals, the collapse of the Skeptic Community and a lot of its former members (like Kraut and Tea, TJ Kirk and some more) were more or less hung by their former friends and followers, becoming irrelevant. I noticed a lot of those skeptics lost their glory in 2017, a century after the October Revolution where former allies turned on each other and battled, with a lot of prominent figures being executed.

I'm sure that a lot more parallels can be made, and if you align the pieces properly, you can come to some interesting comparisons.
Still, what are your thoughts on this? Is this a credible observation, or am I just a loony conspiracy theorist who connects random things together?

Last I checked, Gamergate didn't assassinate the heir apparent of a multiethnic empire that was struggling to deal with ethnic violence, had an unstable line of succession due to the crown prince committing suicide a decade earlier, was entangled in alliances, and was dealing with an expansionist Russia eager to take advantage of any instability to expand its sphere of influence.

You're trying to compare internet events, which are generally meaningless in the grand scheme of things, to complex regional geopoltics which spanned decades and had to have multiple interweaving angles in order to culminate with WW1.

Patrician trainer said:

and, you WILL be banned.

Good thing you're not a mod, since a poorly thought out post about WW1 is hardly grounds for a warning, let alone a ban.

Think that tinfoil on your head is cutting off the oxygen to your brain. Last thing to start a war over is a bunch of morons calling each other names over the internet.

Muffinlicious wrote:

>comparing Gamergate to Jesus

As someone who was brought up Catholic, but no longer an active practitioner of the faith, all I have to say is this:

Holy shit.

Persecution Complexes are the most common trait between Gamergate and "third-wave feminists".

Last edited Feb 09, 2018 at 12:42PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!