Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,067 total conversations in 679 threads

+ New Thread

What more then 12 years of using the internet has taught me.

Last posted May 02, 2020 at 05:28PM EDT. Added May 01, 2020 at 05:29PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

For pretty much all my life I have struggled whit certain identity issues, and as such I have used the internet as a sort of way to hide from the harshness of the living environment I was in.
While this won't play a role in what I'm going to talk about I felt like sharing my background as to why I used internet a lot.
I've seen many online contriversies and I have listened to both sides always to see what they have to say. And let me tell you I began noticing a pattern. When people discussed the opposition, all sides would try to paint the enemy as irrational human beings who can not understand logic. Both sides would talk about some sort of political brain washing. Using slang such as SJW, nazi, feminazi, commie etc to insult each other to the point that those words lost all meaning that they ever once had, and arguably words like SJW and feminazi never had any meaning on the internet. While both sides had communities who refused to try to listen or understand each other at every turn and argument. And the irrational people were ready to take it too far. Regardless of who you side whit there would be people sending death threats and committing to some sort of juvenile attempt at social justice by doing DDOS attacks and/or even taking it to stalking people IRL.
And let me tell you when you only ever listen to things from a distance you start to notice things.
Namely that there is almost never a sense of rationality when discussing subject from no side of the coin on the internet.
You people criticize others for entering "echo chambers" while a big chunk of you are a part of your own ones whit out realizing it. Regardless of what side you chose to focus on they criticize the other side for doing something while they them selves repeat the same mistakes.
I've stayed away from the internet controversy talk for a very long time only ever occasionally coming back and maybe leaving my two cents here and there. And when ever I come back you people seem to be just doing the same thing over and over again. It's almost like I never left.
But eh I guess something changed after today and I'm going to make sure to never come back to sites like this or twitter.
I'm more writing this for myself I don't expect any one to agree or even to read this.
Frankly I don't care anymore.

I've noticed that 4chan, particularly /pol/ makes fun of reddit for their "cringy" slang and strawman the hell outta them but 4chan also has slang and moments as well. For example: reddit has 69/420/funny secks number, while 4chan has "get" posts which both will be showered with positive reinforcement by their community.

Another is reddit users think when a post is getting censored it's the Chinese admins, and on 4chan, if their posts get deleted its teh (((jooz)))

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!