Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,086 total conversations in 681 threads

+ New Thread

what's considered sjw?

Last posted Jul 28, 2020 at 11:20AM EDT. Added Jun 17, 2020 at 01:19PM EDT
20 posts from 18 users

I realized looking back, that the backlash against SJWs had two competing mindsets in it. There were people who agreed with the ideas of equality, but thought SJWs were being too extreme about it. But there were also people who didn't agree with those ideas to begin with. (And some in-between, of course). Which meant people who would've regularly been more progressive being manipulated into going against egalitarian ideals, because they have this image of kooky dyed-hair, nose-ring college students making a public embarassment of themselves, and that if you care about civil rights one bit you're just like them.

I see it basically as, when you see "Social Justice Warrior", do you dislike the "Warrior" part or the "Social Justice" part.

So yes, I'd say there's a sizeable sentiment that wanting civil rights for marginalized folks in general is considered sjw

an SJW is an activist for justice. They typically fight for equal outcome rather than equal opportunity, which is what makes them more controversial and extreme. Usually more authoritarian because of that too.
on the other side, there are social libertarians (maybe egalitarian fits too) who believe more in equal opportunity, but letting outcomes play out how ever it ends up playing out.
SJW is affirmative action
egalitarianism is just a ban on sex based firing/hiring

Master Pain wrote:

I realized looking back, that the backlash against SJWs had two competing mindsets in it. There were people who agreed with the ideas of equality, but thought SJWs were being too extreme about it. But there were also people who didn't agree with those ideas to begin with. (And some in-between, of course). Which meant people who would've regularly been more progressive being manipulated into going against egalitarian ideals, because they have this image of kooky dyed-hair, nose-ring college students making a public embarassment of themselves, and that if you care about civil rights one bit you're just like them.

I see it basically as, when you see "Social Justice Warrior", do you dislike the "Warrior" part or the "Social Justice" part.

So yes, I'd say there's a sizeable sentiment that wanting civil rights for marginalized folks in general is considered sjw

Wanting folks that are different from you to be given at least some respect shouldn’t be a sjw only thing, it should be a common sense thing.

SJW is one of those terms which is really overused and thus somewhat nebulous these days. Depending on where/who you're talking to. It's more of an insult than a descriptor now. To answer the question directly, I'd say no personally

And if you're talking in the context of KYM specifically, this community can be fickle to the point of ridiculousness. Something to consider. If you're talking about BLM specifically, I'd say it's not as black and white(heh) as you portray it.

Last edited Jun 17, 2020 at 06:11PM EDT

Master Pain wrote:

I think it's more a time frame. At first the complaints towards "SJWs" were from center-left/centrist/liberal Americans who merely felt that certain advocates were being too extremist/self righteous on political matters [be it things like race, the environment, the economy, etc], but ultimately at least still supported the same causes and the ideals of Social Justice & Equality in themselves.

then it got hijacked by Rightist/Far Right Activists who were entirely against those ideas to begin with and used to demonize literally anyone who had vaguely left wing or egalitarian opinions.

Don't like Donald Trump? you're an SJW.

Think Non-White Immigrants deserve to be treated like human beings? You're an SJW[and anti-white]

Think Gays should be allowed to marry? You're an SJW.

I wouldn't describe myself as "far-left" personally, but I'm kinda glad it seems to be that people are at least realizing that anti-sjw stuff has basically just boiled down to "LEFT WING BAD. BOTTOM TEXT." and are now realizing that the right is full of shit themselves.

at least there's a lot less people who are literally praising certain Latin American dictators because they genuinely want to fucking kill people who advocate for any kind of equality.

Gang Balla wrote:

I think it's more a time frame. At first the complaints towards "SJWs" were from center-left/centrist/liberal Americans who merely felt that certain advocates were being too extremist/self righteous on political matters [be it things like race, the environment, the economy, etc], but ultimately at least still supported the same causes and the ideals of Social Justice & Equality in themselves.

then it got hijacked by Rightist/Far Right Activists who were entirely against those ideas to begin with and used to demonize literally anyone who had vaguely left wing or egalitarian opinions.

Don't like Donald Trump? you're an SJW.

Think Non-White Immigrants deserve to be treated like human beings? You're an SJW[and anti-white]

Think Gays should be allowed to marry? You're an SJW.

I wouldn't describe myself as "far-left" personally, but I'm kinda glad it seems to be that people are at least realizing that anti-sjw stuff has basically just boiled down to "LEFT WING BAD. BOTTOM TEXT." and are now realizing that the right is full of shit themselves.

at least there's a lot less people who are literally praising certain Latin American dictators because they genuinely want to fucking kill people who advocate for any kind of equality.

Basically sums it up
though
I’d define it as “someone who advocates for extreme mesures in reprisal for past wrong against a group instead of equality”

As well as what others have mentioned, I think people are annoyed at just how loud and pervasive a lot of SJWs have become.

I think the vast majority of people support treating everyone equally, and to them that's good enough because they don't have the time or resources to do much more and, to be fair, they are not really obligated or should be expected to. It's not a realistic thing to ask of people when they have a multitude of other problems to address.

The constant messaging and reminders and virtue signaling however starts to sound at best like noise and at worst like nagging. It really doesn't help that the SJW stereotype seems to be very easy to validate because part of the stereotype itself is to be loud and adopt some sort of counterculture look.
Last edited Jun 18, 2020 at 04:23PM EDT

Wanting civil rights for marginalized folks is considered sjw.

Not because it inherently is sjw, but because sjw became a broad catch-all term for anything remotely liberal.

Last edited Jun 20, 2020 at 05:37PM EDT

Being a colloquial term/phrase, the meaning of SJW can vary wildly based on who's saying it.

For some, it simply means someone who espouses and pursues progressive values, but does so in a toxic and boorish manner.

For others, it basically means anyone left of center.

RandomMan wrote:

Wanting civil rights for marginalized folks is considered sjw.

Not because it inherently is sjw, but because sjw became a broad catch-all term for anything remotely liberal.

Yes there are those who intentionally associate civil rights advocates with sjw for reason of propaganda, more numerous are those who have come to the association due to sjws being the most visible and vocal element of the left in such matters.

Not helping that perception is the disproportionate amount of leverage and amplification sjws have shown compared to thier actual numbers. They get more done than the traditional civil rights advocates, pity what they get done is almost exclusively braindead and counterproductive.

Last edited Jun 22, 2020 at 04:36PM EDT

As far as what's considered SJW, I would say as some others have said: the term is so damn nebulous nowadays that it evolved into "something I don't like" by shit people that think having a trans flag in a game is "evil SJW propaganda" as shown by the raging screeds of OAG.

Looking back to the years of 2013-2015, SJW as far as I remember was more of just laughing at Tumblr users that at best were well-intentioned but complete idiots to obnoxious individuals that are assholes. One example of well-intentioned was someone wanting more representation of peoples that you don't see often in media. Using art as an example, it is nice to see a character in an anime that isn't a white American or a Japanese guy. Problem is an SJW may think a dark skinned character doesn't really look like some non-white ethnicity because of the face shape even though that problem can lie more in what the artist is capable of drawing. As for an example of an SJW that is an asshole, I remember a time where there was a Tumblr post that thought a Joker with no makeup hiding among the police is somehow making fun of him. While it is a dick move to mock people for facial deformities and the like, the scene wasn't aiming for that and the other Tumblr user called them out for complaining about a scene that's really meant to show you that Joker is there, and no one realizes that its him without the make up.

I may as well be a boomer in thinking of SJW being in that sort of light but I honestly do not like how alt-right idiots and the like twisted it into being whatever they don't like. Boomer me from 2014 would like to say that being for trans-rights and thinking black lives matter isn't SJW, SJW to that Boomer me is more of someone being too far in an extreme that they don't realize what they do can be toxic, boorish, etc. despite it being for something good such as more representation in media or not wanting to accidentally trigger someone.

I take it as someone who constantly posts about progressive issues, often women's rights, on social media, often disparaging others that they perceive to oppose their opinions. The worst offenders are just keyboard warriors who don't really do much to actually support their beliefs and are often just doing it for the clout.

TLDR it's basically the opposite extreme of a "Boomer"

Last edited Jul 28, 2020 at 10:48AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!