Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

C.A.R.E.N. Act

Last posted Jul 11, 2020 at 08:23PM EDT. Added Jul 09, 2020 at 09:01PM EDT
3 posts from 2 users

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-08/lawmaker-proposes-caren-act-making-racially-biased-911-calls-illegal

https://people.com/politics/san-francisco-lawmaker-introduces-caren-act/

There is a bill that is being proposed in California called the "Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies ACT"

The Act in a nutshell is meant to ban all 911 calls made against minorities if they are not actually committing crime

for example if you were a black person heading into a white neighborhood, white citizens would no longer be able to call the police on you simply for being there.

The Title of the Law is also in reference to the Karen meme in itself, and the idea of Karens calling for police, managers or other authority for very minor things or out of discirmination.

What I've been wondering[and why I posted it here] is that I'm wondering why this hasn't been made into a page yet? Perhaps because it's very localized[considering it's a bill for california, not for the entire united states] & not that popular to begin with.

but it's kinda perfect for a page on this site. It's related to recent events & the whole thing is named after a goddamn meme. someone outta document this shit.

Last edited Jul 09, 2020 at 09:02PM EDT

Ryumaru Borike wrote:

Isn't this kinda already covered under abuse of emergency services laws though?

1. You could argue such but it doesn't stop people from still doing it. It's definitely not sufficient enough. It's a common occurrence for many people of color.

2. I'm also mainly just trying to post about this as I'd like an article on it. Not due to my actual personal opinions [though recent events definitely soured my opinion of cops]

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!