Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

How can you defend yourself if you don't have a voice?

Last posted Mar 16, 2022 at 09:44AM EDT. Added Mar 09, 2022 at 07:21AM EST
4 posts from 4 users

I don't know if this is the right place to ask so feel free to move this thread somewhere else if it should belong to somewhere else. I'm going to attempt to articulate the points I want to make and the direction we're going in on the general discourse. I've been seeing people, even in my workplace, going with the mantras of "Everything is political", some just ignore them but they get to an extreme point where it's like "Pick a side. Either you are with us or against us". I'm sure these people don't reflect your values.

The problem is this. Democracy of the majority dictates rule over the minority. I lived under the type of situation where these types of people control everything from what's allowed to speak and what not, to the point where they want the power to be able to arrest you for basically disagreeing with you and that happened to me.

So if you have no platform, no voice, no ability to defend yourself from accusations and you are the minority, How you are supposed to defend yourself in a social situation when the majority doesn't see it the way you do? (in Real Life, I'm not talking about Internet fights) Because if you don't have a voice you have no power.

Sometimes it's better to keep your head down and if necessary just pay lip service to whatever opinion is currently in vogue. There's a Chinese proverb that goes "Say nothing and make a fortune" – it's pretty cynical but if your livelihood is at stake you might just as well pretend that you agree with the majority/mainstream rather than sticking your neck out which will amount to nothing other than you being ostracised. You won't change the minds of people who want to silence you or see you kicked out for your opinions anyway.

If your current workplace is so toxic that you get harassed by political radicals who give you the whole "you're either with us or against us" bs maybe it's just as well that you get outta there and find a job with a better work environment.

Nigel the treasure hunter wrote:

Sometimes it's better to keep your head down and if necessary just pay lip service to whatever opinion is currently in vogue. There's a Chinese proverb that goes "Say nothing and make a fortune" – it's pretty cynical but if your livelihood is at stake you might just as well pretend that you agree with the majority/mainstream rather than sticking your neck out which will amount to nothing other than you being ostracised. You won't change the minds of people who want to silence you or see you kicked out for your opinions anyway.

If your current workplace is so toxic that you get harassed by political radicals who give you the whole "you're either with us or against us" bs maybe it's just as well that you get outta there and find a job with a better work environment.

Considering workplaces and how coworkers can be, finding a better environment is indeed better. Mental health and the like is important and the last thing anyone wants is going to work and dealing with people that'll give you shit and put you down for not leaning their way, especially when said people are either higher ups as well or are higher up's that'll side with the toxic individuals.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!