Forums / Discussion / Serious Debate

14,076 total conversations in 680 threads

+ New Thread

Is my idea ethical?

Last posted Jun 30, 2022 at 01:34AM EDT. Added May 23, 2022 at 08:42PM EDT
7 posts from 5 users

For a long time, I've wondered how a prisoner could productively pass their time. Would it be morale to hire a non violent criminal to draw? I've even asked this in prison forums and got a polite response from mods saying that while my intentions were honest, it counted as exploitation and wasn't allowed to be discussed there.

I grew up watching lockup, ive studied the american/global "corrections" facilities and very very few correct anything at all. I simply wanna help ppl that are trapped between madness and monsters. Im not trying to be pen pals with charls manson, just giving someone a goal to work t'wards while they rehabilitate.

any hot'n'spicy™2fo4 takes on this. Feel free to expand or derail. Been a while since ive seen 60s spiderman thread. "Its my money and I need it NOW" call JG Wenchworth 877-CASH-NOW!

When you say "hire a prisoner to draw" do you mean like setting up an outsourcing studio that utilizes inmates for generating art assets for larger studios or are you talking about some sort of commission-based system? I could see merit in the rehabilitative elements of both systems but I could also see how both could turn exploitative. Prison labor rates (in the US anyway) are VERY low, sometimes as low as $0.23/hr. In order for some sort of system like that to get approved it needs to be built to rehabilitate the inmate and teach them useful skills outside of prison, not just to exploit the cheap labor or the derisive novelty of it.

wisehowl_the_2nd wrote:

When you say "hire a prisoner to draw" do you mean like setting up an outsourcing studio that utilizes inmates for generating art assets for larger studios or are you talking about some sort of commission-based system? I could see merit in the rehabilitative elements of both systems but I could also see how both could turn exploitative. Prison labor rates (in the US anyway) are VERY low, sometimes as low as $0.23/hr. In order for some sort of system like that to get approved it needs to be built to rehabilitate the inmate and teach them useful skills outside of prison, not just to exploit the cheap labor or the derisive novelty of it.

Yeah, I would never take it above commission levels. It would be nice to start a non profit or small company based on commission work but Im sure it would get out of hand fast. No this is for me and a small group of ppl tops, if it were to take on a life of its own so be it. I'm just putting myself in the inmate's shoes. If I got a letter one day into my 5 year stint saying "hey u wanna do some honest work u can legally do while sitting in ur bunk for 8hrs a day?" Id be estatic. I know there is an ocean of ppl online that do this very thing but again, this is more for the ppl going insane behind bars rather than my or anyone else personal gain.

I doubt most prisoners are any good at drawing (except Shadman). That and also finding the right guy in prison with limited communication options would be a logistical nightmare

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!