Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

automatic friend sudjestions based on user likes&dislikes

Last posted Aug 13, 2015 at 10:08PM EDT. Added Aug 10, 2015 at 08:14AM EDT
23 posts from 7 users

right now likes&dislikes r using to rate the content as i can see.

how about mod forum engine so it will keep track of each like(or dislike)-user-entry(image, video) relation & then(weekly to reduce load) engine will recommend friends based on user's likes & dislikes  ^_^

there r plenty of such systems now & i bet they can be easily added without some heavy integration into existing system.

or there r reasons against this? if server load is the case – it can work only weekly or even monthly. but its better then nothing..

- - wrote:

right now likes&dislikes r using to rate the content as i can see.

how about mod forum engine so it will keep track of each like(or dislike)-user-entry(image, video) relation & then(weekly to reduce load) engine will recommend friends based on user's likes & dislikes  ^_^

there r plenty of such systems now & i bet they can be easily added without some heavy integration into existing system.

or there r reasons against this? if server load is the case – it can work only weekly or even monthly. but its better then nothing..

This would be good.

Kanye Icecold wrote:

This would be helpful but i only follow based on comments or forum posts not on images.

of course, data about comment-like/dislike can be used 2!  ^_^

i juzt wanted to remind this idea to admins, so they actually can do something to make use of likes/dislikes  ^_^

its like in search engine – it knows what user likes and this data is used to give user interesting content(more relevant search results or more related ads)

Last edited Aug 11, 2015 at 07:25AM EDT

I don't really see a point to this.

Wouldn't you learn people's likes and dislikes by talking to them? Besides, there's no guarantee you'll get along with people just because you like or dislike something they do too. You're better off just friending everyone.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

I don't really see a point to this.

Wouldn't you learn people's likes and dislikes by talking to them? Besides, there's no guarantee you'll get along with people just because you like or dislike something they do too. You're better off just friending everyone.

living beings r constantly evolving & thus, changing. the fact of 2 living things are enjoying the process of observation(and or interaction with) of each other does not mean that the joy will last forever, because those 2 living things r different by the nature of things(the only fully identical living thing for one is oneself and nothing else). on the other hand, static("dead") content, which was generated by living things, has its own state as well as their current state reflected on it. this mixed state will never change, thats why some otakus like one anime & dislike other.

the computer system can easily(comparing to biological system) search more relevant(to user likes and dislikes) content. so, that way, user have to spent less time for consumption of not satisfying content("like" or "dislike" is a thing which discovered only after user has consumed content).

it is like kym has it's own type of content and kym itself as a user accepts only satisfying(kym has rulez 4 allowed content) content.

i dont know how others, but i dont need living, changing, evolving users, i need "dead"(static) content, so i can enjoy the observation process forever(as long as i want)!

there are tons of content on kym, and i have really slow interface(my physical biological body is not that fast as a computer) to consume it!

things which can be considered as static content and can be liked/disliked are: images, videos, user comments.

Last edited Aug 12, 2015 at 03:36AM EDT

Things that are static are stagnant. Stagnant things have no other alternative than to rot. I'll take change over rotting any day.

But this isn't really the place to discuss philosophical conundrums.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Max wrote:

I'd say no. Know Your Meme isn't like Facebook, it focuses on contribution rather than communication between users.

Communication is a form of contribution.

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

I think what Max is trying to say is that KYM isn't really a social site, but more like a meme documentation site with several social features.

So most of the developing is prioritized around contributions to meme documentation (uploading, editing, etc.)

No offense, but I find it useless.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary for the site as it doesn't improve nor helps with the research and documentation of internet phenomena. I think all the "social" aspects of the site should be the last thing in the list of priorities.

TL;DR: Basically, I agree with Bob.

Loli wrote:

No offense, but I find it useless.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary for the site as it doesn't improve nor helps with the research and documentation of internet phenomena. I think all the "social" aspects of the site should be the last thing in the list of priorities.

TL;DR: Basically, I agree with Bob.

>> it doesn’t improve nor helps with the research and documentation of internet phenomena.

checking statement:
who's doing research?

1. few dozens of users who somehow(luckily/occasionally) heard of concrete meme & then do a lot research & contribution, sustained forever by keeping beloved meme to their hearts?
  1. or people who have ("luckily"/occasionally) found some meme, than like it very much (only cuz of thirs personal preferences & properties) and do alot research and contribution to it?

if its #1 then how easy existing party can recruit more worshipers to their research movement?

if its #2 then how they(casual users) can find such a meme(which they will definitely like) in an endless(not so much interconnected) ocean of digital data?

>> I think all the “social” aspects of the site should be the last thing in the list of priorities.

correct. the memes are the essence of this site(kym).

actually kym is the only social network i have account in, and it is only because of its essence you've just underlined by this statement  ^_^

again – user account is, by fact, is the portion of content(more saying, highly interconnected & structured by living&self-conscious things). & thats exactly how one can find most of the interesting(to one) content(entries, images, videos): by casually bumping to some user's comment(or even cute avatar :3), then looking to its account, and facing

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 01:27AM EDT

- - wrote:

>> it doesn’t improve nor helps with the research and documentation of internet phenomena.

checking statement:
who's doing research?

1. few dozens of users who somehow(luckily/occasionally) heard of concrete meme & then do a lot research & contribution, sustained forever by keeping beloved meme to their hearts?
  1. or people who have ("luckily"/occasionally) found some meme, than like it very much (only cuz of thirs personal preferences & properties) and do alot research and contribution to it?

if its #1 then how easy existing party can recruit more worshipers to their research movement?

if its #2 then how they(casual users) can find such a meme(which they will definitely like) in an endless(not so much interconnected) ocean of digital data?

>> I think all the “social” aspects of the site should be the last thing in the list of priorities.

correct. the memes are the essence of this site(kym).

actually kym is the only social network i have account in, and it is only because of its essence you've just underlined by this statement  ^_^

again – user account is, by fact, is the portion of content(more saying, highly interconnected & structured by living&self-conscious things). & thats exactly how one can find most of the interesting(to one) content(entries, images, videos): by casually bumping to some user's comment(or even cute avatar :3), then looking to its account, and facing

1. They can request help in "recuiting 'worshippers'" (which I'm assuming is a synonym for "people with the same goal") via the comment section, the forums, and/or the KYM IRC. You can do all of this even without a friending system.

2. Same as above.

again – user account is, by fact, is the portion of content(more saying, highly interconnected & structured by living&self-conscious things). & thats exactly how one can find most of the interesting(to one) content(entries, images, videos): by casually bumping to some user’s comment(or even cute avatar :3), then looking to its account, and facing

I'm guessing what you're trying to say is that the way a user can find interesting content is through links and/or image embeds found in comments and forum posts. Again, a friending system is unnecessary.

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 01:51AM EDT

Max wrote:

I'd say no. Know Your Meme isn't like Facebook, it focuses on contribution rather than communication between users.

this is the result of any contribution:

ocean of data.

but how can some casual traveler successfully manage to search through something like this?

will it search through titles, or maybe through the authors list? former is more likely, cuz author is the living thing, which have structured the data. and cuz titles cannot reflect essence, due to inevitable data loss in the process of shrinking data( the book(999999 words) → the title(5 words) )

or will it go to some readers club in order to find & use some living fleshy computer(in fact), who already have part of this ocean of data in their head fleshy storage device, and investing some sympathy or other benefit(pure existence of traveler is also can be valuable to living thing being encountered) in exchange for services

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 01:52AM EDT

@Lurk

>>Again, a friending system is unnecessary.

edit:
"friend sujjestion system", AND thats was the one of examples. general idea is: content sujjestion(memes images videos)

>>1. They can request help in “recuiting ‘worshippers’”

technically, yes. its like one having its own website with "plz help me to research this meme". but how potential researcher can find this website among billions of others?

maybe it will be better for one to use some search engine(like google), which has already built some relation network and has structured index of all those websites

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 02:04AM EDT

Emperor Palpitoad wrote:

communication is a process which helps in building solid ground for productive(and also funny, on kym) contribution

- - wrote:

@Lurk

>>Again, a friending system is unnecessary.

edit:
"friend sujjestion system", AND thats was the one of examples. general idea is: content sujjestion(memes images videos)

>>1. They can request help in “recuiting ‘worshippers’”

technically, yes. its like one having its own website with "plz help me to research this meme". but how potential researcher can find this website among billions of others?

maybe it will be better for one to use some search engine(like google), which has already built some relation network and has structured index of all those websites

“friend sujjestion system”, AND thats was the one of examples. general idea is: content sujjestion(memes images videos)

Good point, but you can always search up whatever interests you in the search bar on the top right.

“technically, yes. its like one having its own website with “plz help me to research this meme”. but how potential researcher can find this website among billions of others?

The first result when googling "meme researching" will bring up KYM. Finding it isn't hard at all. KYM is popular enough that it pops up in the first page when searching "meme".

@Lurk
>>Good point, but you can always search up whatever interests you in the search bar on the top right.

how can i search something(the meme for example) without knowing it's title(name) or even knowing what its like?

>>The first result when googling “meme researching” will bring up KYM. Finding it isn’t hard at all

u r loosing it. website was a mere example to explain concrete case. here's another example:
one having some underground satanist party(club) in NYC :3 how can one recruit more worshipers to the party? considering potential worshiper never knowing he's actually loves overlord  ^____________^

the subject of discussion here is the classic situation on market, where lots of customers not knowing what they like and want. and also with poor means of helping themselves to find what they like. (slow, "fleshy" interface in this case).

content should advertise itself. there is tagging system on kym, but it’s very rough and not very helpful. when each or relation like "user – like/dislike – content unit(meme image video)" is already stored in the DB, the described system is simple to implement.

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 03:12AM EDT

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Things that are static are stagnant. Stagnant things have no other alternative than to rot. I'll take change over rotting any day.

But this isn't really the place to discuss philosophical conundrums.

>>Things that are static are stagnant

this is a mere statement which lacks ", because …" part
static things, are simply static(like transistor comparing to living cell for example).
if u mean some other things, may be it will be best to clarify and backup the statement, before continuing to construct further statements upon it.

>> Stagnant things have no other alternative than to rot

Stagnant things are simply stagnant before they are dynamic again.
if u mean some other things, may be it will be best to clarify and backup the statement, before continuing to construct further statements upon it.

the following is my remark based on my observation. plz process this without offense(or do not process(and read) this at all):

>> But this isn’t really the place to discuss philosophical conundrums.

yes, it is  ^_^ who started pure philosophical discussion(without adding some clarification and relation to concrete(palpable) subject) in the first place?

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 03:06AM EDT

@Loli

u r forgetting who reads all the documented memes, & how hard is it to search something, while not knowing what it is like

u will get more consumers(readers/visitors) thanks to such an efficient "passive" search system  ^_^

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 03:18AM EDT

looking to this thread title & first message, i apologise infront of all the participants of the discussion, cuz i have failed to clearly describe my idea at the first place.
let me correct myself:
the idea was not only friends suggestion but generally any type of media(user profile, entry, video, image) suggestion, based on prior user likes/dislikes

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 03:47AM EDT

- - wrote:

>>Things that are static are stagnant

static things, are simply static(like transistor comparing to living cell for example).

>> Stagnant things have no other alternative than to rot

Stagnant things are simply stagnant before they are dynamic again.

the following is my remark based on my observation. plz process this without offense(or do not process(and read) this at all):

>> But this isn’t really the place to discuss philosophical conundrums.

yes, it is  ^_^ who started pure philosophical discussion(without adding some clarification and relation to concrete(palpable) subject) in the first place?

Static; adjective: lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.

Stagnant; adjective: showing no activity; dull and sluggish.

There was no 'because' needed. To argue that the two are not one and the same is to believe apples are not apples. If you are unable to process why the two are similar because they are the same thing, I'm not entirely sure how you'd be able to even process the change you ask for.

As for the place to discuss philosophies, you started it. You came in here with your "I don't wanna change" bullshit.

Once again, not the place for any of this. Consider this a warning, stay on topic.

Last edited Aug 13, 2015 at 04:02PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Static; adjective: lacking in movement, action, or change, especially in a way viewed as undesirable or uninteresting.

Stagnant; adjective: showing no activity; dull and sluggish.

There was no 'because' needed. To argue that the two are not one and the same is to believe apples are not apples. If you are unable to process why the two are similar because they are the same thing, I'm not entirely sure how you'd be able to even process the change you ask for.

As for the place to discuss philosophies, you started it. You came in here with your "I don't wanna change" bullshit.

Once again, not the place for any of this. Consider this a warning, stay on topic.

Maybe you would find people to get along with if we implemented the likes/dislikes features she recommended. :y

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Namaste! You must login or signup first!