Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Enforcing the tagging rules

Last posted Mar 13, 2016 at 07:19PM EDT. Added Jan 22, 2016 at 08:42PM EST
19 posts from 16 users

Despite the addition of necessary tags, most galleries still have a major problem with tags. I think that there should be a media upload notice for all galleries that lists the rules for tagging. Repeated offenses related to improper tagging should result in warnings, and if persisted, suspensions.

That said, we should also implement some more rules related to tagging. Here are some of my ideas:

1. If known, the artist of an image should always be mentioned in the tags. That way, people can search for the artist not only on other sites, but on this site as well.
2. One word should be included to describe each sentence an image is captioned with (ex. "Sarcasm" or "Pun"). It can slightly help with searching for an image with a certain caption.

Last edited Jan 22, 2016 at 08:44PM EST

1. How would we enforce this? It's impossible to read someone's mind to check if they knew. You can't have rules if you don't enforce them – they're more like guidelines then.
2. Seems oddly specific, and might be very difficult in some cases. I'd argue a standardized list of tags would work better for achieving the same result. We have the database tag index, but it's not nearly thorough enough or organized enough, imo.

Also, aren't media upload notices only used for special situations? You're proposing putting one on every single gallery on the site. Iirc, their purpose is to denote something special about this gallery that is different from the others, right?

So, I was working on a thing related to this (didn't get too far) but MAx said I should go ahead an post it here:

Tags
Tags are how people find images on KYM. relevant tags make finding a copy of an image within a gallery with thousands of images much easier.

Tag DOS:
Add the name of what it’s from (what is the name of the show/ comic/ movie, etc.)
Tag characters in the image.
Tag memes within the image.
If there is a phrase that is being parodied, add the original phrase to the tag list.
Tag the name of the artist if it is a piece of fanart or the creator is well known.

Tag DON'TS
Only tag the entry name (this is functionally the same as having no tags at all)
Add tags that are completely unrelated to the image
Add opinions/ commentary in the tags

Title DOS
Have the actual text in the image as the title (this is especially useful for image macros)
Have the name that of fanart given by the creator as the title (Protip: use copy/paste when at the source)
Have a title that basically explains what is in the image

Title DON’TS
Do not just mash characters that are completely useless, such as -_.,
Avoid titles that have nothing to do with the image (major exception being Filename threads)

Note DOS:
Source the image
Add relevant text that will help people to find the post in the future

Note DON’TS:
have a bunch or random text
leave a long rant (this is what the comment section is for)
Link to NC material

Source DOS
Link to the source page
Explicitly list the creator’s name in the notes
Say the name of the creator and work if the source is NC (primarily for Hentai Quotes)

Source DON’T
Leave no source when it’s extremely easy to find.
Avoid just linking the source with the name "Source"

Also, not part of the above but, I've noticed at least one user tagging like "Artist:artistname" which I think would be useful when the artist has a well know an unique name. It would also make it easy for users to see if the image is a repost. I'll be honest, I don't always tag the artist, but I try to list the creator's name in the metadata source.

@Rivers
What I meant was to include an automatic notice on the image upload screen giving an abridged version of the tagging rules (and other rules), with maybe a link to the image guidelines page. I also think that there should be a sentence in the guidelines thread explaining that a source of an image can be found through reverse image search on Google.

Last edited Jan 22, 2016 at 08:57PM EST

@ Jacob

Do:
Spoil the joke by adding the punchline to the tittle

When the entry is also the name of the person in the macro come up with some other name other than the name of the entry i.e. Kanye West. Instead tag it "over inflated ego black guy".

OK Thanks I think we got it

Here's the more full one. Other mods with forum powers feel free to fix any spelling issues you see or whatnot.

Tags

Tags are how people find images on KYM. Relevant tags make finding a copy of an image within a gallery with thousands of images much easier. They can also be used to find images among all galleries on the entire site.

Tag DOs:

• Add the name of what the image is from (what is the name of the show/ comic/ movie, etc.)
  • Tag characters in the image
  • Tag memes within the image
  • If there is a phrase that is being parodied, add the original phrase to the tag list
  • Tag the name of the artist if it is a piece of fanart or the creator is well known

Tag DON’Ts:

• Only tag the entry name (this is functionally the same as having no tags at all)
  • Add tags that are completely unrelated to the image
  • Add random tags
  • Add opinions/ commentary in the tags
  • Remove useful tags

Titles

Titles are important so it doesn’t show up as “Image 923843” and helps it get picked up by off-site search engines. Like tags, titles are also searchable with the site's search engine.

Title DOs:

• Have the actual text in the image as the title (this is especially useful for users searching for image macros)
  • Have the name that of fanart given by the creator as the title (Protip: use copy/paste when at the source)
  • Have a title that basically explains what is in the image

Title DON’Ts:

• Mash characters that are completely meaningless and/or useless, such as -_., or blank spaces
  • Add titles that have nothing to do with the image (major exception being Filename threads)
  • Remove tiles from an image so that the title is just the default image number.

Notes

Notes are also searchable by the site's search engine. They should be used to put any additional information that doesn't fit well in the other two fields, such as a sourcing or minor explanations.

Note DOs:

• Source the image
  • Add relevant text that will help people to find the post in the future
  • Give an explanation of what is going on in the image if it is not obvious

Note DON’Ts:

• Have a bunch or random text
  • Leave a long rant (this is what the comment section is for)
  • Link to NC material
  • Embed autoplay videos

Source

To quote Mona: "Galleries shouldn’t be plunder museums." Due to the nature of the internet somethings can be sourced much more easily than others, while other cases it is truly impossible. Ideally, all images on the site would be sourced back to their original creator.

Source DOs:

• Link to the source page
  • Explicitly list the creator’s name in the notes when available, preferably where the creator posted the content as well.
  • Say the name of the creator and work if the source is NC (primarily for Hentai Quotes)
  • Avoid just linking the source with the name “Source” or the raw html

Source DON’Ts:

• Leave no source when it’s extremely easy to find.
  • Make no attempt to find a source unless it is obvious such efforts would be fruitless (ex: looking for the originator of a caption on an advice animal).
Last edited Feb 28, 2016 at 03:05PM EST

These rules seem good, though I have a few questions:

- With tags, should there be any attention at all to search optimization; that is, adding tags that might make the image easier to find if a user is specifically looking for it?

- Should the prohibition on "random" or "opinion" tags apply if the other tags are sufficient? (If the uploader has tagged the image very well and also wants to add one or two jokes, I don't see how that should be a problem.)

- Regarding sources, what do we do if we find out that an artist does not want an image uploaded elsewhere. (I've seen a few people on DeviantArt and Tumblr have disclaimers to that effect on their pages. I basically just want to know how seriously we ought to take those.)

- Tags and search optimization: I think there should be but this is more for making rules about actually tagging in the first place. I've said before that tag stuff that people would actually try using to find the image.

- Random/opinion/joke tags
If the other tags are fine it's not a big deal too much, but it can often clog the search results. (All those Nui images uploaded by Paper Lucario tagged as "best girl" and "waifu" don't really help in finding other things.) Still it's not a thing I really think we should send warnings on unless they become overburdening, but I have no opposition to removing them either. Really, the comment section is better for this stuff.

- Regarding sourcing (and artist do not want and image elsewhere)
Eeeeeee~ I've said before I would suggest people follow the artist's wishes (sometimes people are fine with the art being wherever as long at it has attribution) but there really isn't a way to enforce this, especially since sometimes the artist has since deactivated. Brad has said that "We as moderators are not obligated to remove any user-submitted content preemptively… unless we receive an explicit written C&D request for specific pieces of content." I don't necessarily agree with that in all cases, but it's what Brad has said.

I don't see anything to change in this whole setting of rules.
I'm pretty fine with it.
Just to be clear, as you mention, there are time when it's near to impossible to credit the original creator of a piece of media. I mean, there is nothing shameful in note being able to find a correct source.

I'm ok with these, good job. Although a question, if I may, I'm still unclear, are these are supposed to be guidelines or actual rules? Like, if someone doesn't follow these, what do we do? Is that grounds for warnings, even suspensions, or do we just have to keep being annoyed in hope that they finally start to learn? Plus, these rules/guidelines are highly bias towards images, do they also apply to videos too? I remember a thread recently about applying a mandatory title/tag to video uploads too, should we work on enforcing that too?

Last edited Feb 28, 2016 at 09:48AM EST

@Twenty-One
I think it merits warnings and if repeated a suspension, an user was suspended recently for
intentionally removing tags from his own uploads and from what I know abusing scrapbooker powers can lead you to a suspension

Also it would be ideal to add a link to these rules in media notices, specially for popular galleries with a lot of fanart

For videos almost the same applies in my opinion

Tags Do's
Add the name of what the video is from (what is the name of the show/ comic/ movie/Game etc.)
Tag characters/internet personalities within the video
Tag memes from the video
If there is a phrase that is being parodied, add the original phrase to the tag list
Tag the name of the Youtuber/Uploader

Tag Don'ts
Only tag the entry name
Add tags that are completely unrelated to the video
Add random tags
Add opinions/ commentary in the tags
Remove useful tags

Notes Do's
Give an explanation of what's happening in the video in case it's not obvious? (Not sure about this one)
Indicate if it's a reupload since the original one was taken down

Notes Dont's
Have a bunch or random text
Leave a long rant
Link to NC material
Embed autoplay videos

Yeah, yeah it's basically Jacob's list but with videos

Last edited Feb 28, 2016 at 10:19AM EST

(I thought videos used their source's tags to be honest. Or at least it used to work like that back when Youtube's Tags where public.)

I think the image moderators can keep their enforcement subjective more or less, as there is no way to talley a user up with the other mods till a neglective source-er or tagger gets enough faulty images worthy of a strike. For instance I could easily see an upload that was poorly tagged but unless if I was Hunting For Offenders I wouldn't think twice about it when updating the image (albeit I never did Image Moderating to the degree that Jacob or Loli has, so I know they have eyes that I don't for this).

If somebody can significantly sniff you out as a tag/source neglector, then yeah hit them with the usual warning, but don't sharpshoot after a single fluke.

Last edited Feb 28, 2016 at 10:22AM EST

I often feel like the titles and the note part are also misused in biased ways. People putting their commentary on their images (both on notes or titles) are really really misrepresented and not good for the image of this site (we are supposed to be neutral on documentation). If they have their opinions on those, why dont they stick to the comments?
Like putting "cringeworthy" or "rekt" as tags to show how boo poo cringeworthy that is, how much "rekted" a "hurrdurr feminazi" got or try to "prove" why whatever the image is "wrong" on the notes part.
Consider please.

Last edited Feb 29, 2016 at 05:28AM EST

I had an idea: why not put in the notes whether an image is in another gallery? Lots of images are relevant in two or more galleries, and a note in the source would inform people whether or not the image is in another gallery. This would also help with people reporting images for moving and mods moving images, which would prevent a lot of reposts. This would be optional, more as a suggestion than a rule.

Like this

Last edited Feb 29, 2016 at 09:34PM EST

Dreamworks wrote:

I had an idea: why not put in the notes whether an image is in another gallery? Lots of images are relevant in two or more galleries, and a note in the source would inform people whether or not the image is in another gallery. This would also help with people reporting images for moving and mods moving images, which would prevent a lot of reposts. This would be optional, more as a suggestion than a rule.

Like this

I really like that idea, although, since a lot of galleries have a ton of images, you might never know if an image is in a different gallery (This "concern" of mine is based on old knowledge. If things have changed to better realize if an image is elsewhere in the DB, then that's great.)

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!