Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Can we stop trying to make "artist:example" the preferred tag for art?

Last posted Sep 20, 2016 at 03:28AM EDT. Added Sep 09, 2016 at 12:00PM EDT
11 posts from 9 users

I have three reasons why I don't like it:
1. There's literally no point. What does the "artist:" prefix do, exactly? Specially clarify that the username in the tag is the artist, as if it isn't obvious?
2. Unless you would frequently read discussions related to tagging and sourcing, there'd be no way you'd know that it's the way you're supposed to tag artists. Hell, even I didn't know it's preferred until I pointed it out to the media mods in IRC.

3. It'd make searching hard. There are many artists whose work is commonly posted here, but up until recently, they were always tagged without the "artist:" prefix, meaning that the recent images without the prefix would be separated from the ones with the prefix.
I'll show you what I mean:

-

-

-

-

--

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 12:01PM EDT
as if it isn’t obvious?

It isn't always going to be obvious, though. Rainbow Crash is a KYM user, but can also be a tag for images with Rainbow Dash crashing. If the user were to ever draw an image of Rainbow Dash crashing, you'd have a conflicting tag with two meanings. There are thousands--if not more--of artists who have generic screen names which can also be tags and if the point of tagging is to provide accurate search results for images, then simply using screen names without the "artist:" can create tags with multiple meanings that dilute searches.

For points two and three, blame the lack of a standardized system for tagging. That's what happens with the mantra of "we're not a booru." Do you tag it "black and white" or "monochrome"? "artist:username" or "username"? "my little pony" or "mlp"?

We mods have been pushing for an artist/source field for media for what has become literally years now. But this is KYM ya know, updates…

My god this would fix so much of this issue.

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 05:29PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

We mods have been pushing for an artist/source field for media for what has become literally years now. But this is KYM ya know, updates…

My god this would fix so much of this issue.

To be honest, we shouldn't have to tag the artist. There should have been a source and artist field like a looooong time ago.

I really do hope they really add that feature like now because it get very tiring having to tag every single picture with the artist: tag. I mean, what's taking the admins so long to add such a simple feature?

Last edited Sep 10, 2016 at 02:07AM EDT

Taneera wrote:

To be honest, we shouldn't have to tag the artist. There should have been a source and artist field like a looooong time ago.

I really do hope they really add that feature like now because it get very tiring having to tag every single picture with the artist: tag. I mean, what's taking the admins so long to add such a simple feature?

I dunno, but so much annoying! Not even mention thanks to a little debate back in RWBY gallery we stopped using the "artist: example", at least I did, though still tag artist.

On other hand one of the regular uploaders over the RWBY gallery came up with a pretty simple method. Since search bar also looks for Notes and titles on image pages, he started to tag the artist in the Notes. Simple, works and you can search by both simply the artist's name or with typing simply (as not tag) artist: Xy.

So, as in xTSGx's post, the "artist" tag does help to eliminate problems with usernames. Sometimes, however, even that can create problems. The Pixiv Username for the person who creates most of the artwork used in the Kancolle Sleep meme is simply "Rebecca". While their Tumblr is under a slightly different name, I just ran with the tag of Pixiv Rebecca because simpling tagging an image tagged simply as "Rebecca" would create other problems in terms of actually finding related images.

Personally I'm more in favor of using "Artist: X" but it's not like any of the mods are going to send out warnings for not doing this provided you actually source the image in the first place.

RandomMan's post is 100% the best solution however.

Yunpol wrote:

To be honest, we shouldn’t have to tag the artist. There should have been a source and artist field like a looooong time ago.
I really do hope they really add that feature like now because it get very tiring having to tag every single picture with the artist: tag. I mean, what’s taking the admins so long to add such a simple feature?

le admin hate face

We went from no artist tagging format to a format everybody hates, and still somehow managed to lose any sense of uniformity in the process. This is pretty bad, even by KYM standards.

New proposition: We stop hosting images entirely, and just embed from danbooru.

One of those is a lewd mlp artist so I'm guessing it's probably just a force of habbit one or a couple people at the most picked up from Derpibooru where artists are tagged in a similar way.

It's dumb as hell I know.

Okay as of Today or more likely yesterday or just few days. This is what we get.

Which is cool! But now this rises another problem, obviously you no longer can say "Source" cause that's dumb source name, so the question, what should we use? I for example I know I will use the traditional author name, but what if the said artist is known by both his/her URL name and nickname and they are different, which one should we use then?

You can still throw the author in the tags and notes. As long as people don't search for specifically one area, all should work when searching.

Last edited Sep 20, 2016 at 03:28AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!