Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Meme Generation on KnowYourMeme

Last posted Apr 08, 2017 at 06:01AM EDT. Added Apr 07, 2017 at 10:07PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Exactly what it sounds like. This would require researching how ImgFlip does their coding for this feature among other meme generation websites and creating something like this unique to KnowYourMeme. I wouldn't expect this any time soon, but it would be a way of making this website more all-encompassing by ensuring the user doesn't have to leave in order to create fresh memes.

Some memes have a green Build Your Own on the right under the info box but they take you to the Cheezburger site and not a builder on KYM itself. There's a submit to option on the builder but KYM isn't listed as a choice for that. Philosoraptor is the only entry I can find right now that has the button but I'm pretty sure there's some newer memes with the option. It'd still be nice to have a builder on KYM itself or at the very least an option to submit here though.

his would require researching how ImgFlip does their coding for this feature

Nope. It really doesn't take much to make a caption generator. KnowYourMeme used to be associated with Cheezburger, which has Memebase generator, for example. For your snowclones and image macros this is more than enough. Or, like, 5 seconds in MS paint or any other photo editing software. In addition, you can find pretty much everything you need to "make" a specific meme on its entry page, as well as our collection of templates which are free to use.

but it would be a way of making this website more all-encompassing

As pleasant as that sounds on paper, KnowYourMeme isn't really intended to be "all-encompassing". You can think of it as more of a cultural reference, similar to what TvTropes is to fiction, or what Encyclopedia Dramatica is supposed to do. KYM's entries are supposed to be informative, instead of the site being a mess of newsfeed-like elements for individual items. Sites like ImgFlip and MemeGenerator allow users to "make" memes, boards like Reddit and 4chan are for sharing said content, and KnowYourMeme documents the results. You can find literally thousands of posts, entries, and comments saying the same thing: KYM does not make memes, it documents them.

You can also check out Chris Menning say exactly what I'm saying. Or any of the other old-as-the-site-itself threads for that matter.

Last edited Apr 08, 2017 at 06:03AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!