Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Auto-remove forum post with URL as the topic title

Last posted Aug 01, 2017 at 03:50AM EDT. Added Jul 21, 2017 at 08:04AM EDT
9 posts from 7 users

Is any you mods planning to create this particular tool? It's pretty annoying to see the bots keep spamming a same shits and waiting for mods to remove them and the cycle repeats.

I also see that bot accounts don't have profile pics and immediately post on the forum in less of a minute. Perhaps the said tool could also automatically delete those accounts if those two conditions are met.

Is it possible to make one or is it too hard?

As was mentioned in a previous thread (still don't know how to link to individual posts), the mods have been lobbying James, the site's coder, for that for quite a while. Presumably, he's the only one who has the ability to implement such a feature.

No idea why they haven't done it yet. I've yet to see a legitimate thread with just a url as a title in the five years I've been shitposting on this site.

^ Same, RM has even said he'd bring it up with them (dunno if he did) and he is basically the only mod all the admins will listen to.

We'd all love it, just comes down to if it's made. Just have to look for any title beginning with http and that should slim down on the spam by a noticable amount.

The last (and to my knowledge, only) time a filter like this was implemented was in response to the massive Korean advertising spam that happened a while back. This situation was unique in that it both rendered the forums unusable, and was far too much work for the forum/user mods to handle alone. Yes, KYM has a spambot issue, but it has always had this issue. It's most prevalent in the early morning hours, when diligent mods (read: Arcanine and TwilitLord) would sweep every hour or so, but is nearly unnoticeable during daytime.

So yeah, it's a problem, but also incredibly benign and already handled well enough. The larger issue lies in the bots that opt not to post to the forums, but instead create elaborate user profiles. They're easily identified by humans, but can go unnoticed for months if nobody is looking. Like this one I just found to make a point.
It'd be pretty hard to filter all those out, and we can always make the interns trained monkeys moderators handle it. A bit of extra scrolling in the thread index won't hurt you for now.

Obligatory "James pls fix".

Mom Rivers wrote:

^ Same, RM has even said he'd bring it up with them (dunno if he did) and he is basically the only mod all the admins will listen to.

We'd all love it, just comes down to if it's made. Just have to look for any title beginning with http and that should slim down on the spam by a noticable amount.

PMd both James and Brad months ago, no replies.

I can try again sure.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!