Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Approval by mod before posting in the forums?

Last posted Aug 27, 2017 at 01:57PM EDT. Added Aug 24, 2017 at 08:21PM EDT
5 posts from 4 users

I know my title isn't very clear and I'm sorry. I'm bad at typing explanations, but please hear me out:

In some forums, you have to mail the mod/admin(of the forum) before you are able to post and or comment/reply in a thread. (I mean after you sign up)

So would this system work to prevent the huge wave of bots clogging up the forums?

Well, it would work to get rid of spam. In addition, knowing what I know about KYM's backend, it might not be too hard to implement.

The problem is that the spam problem isn't really a big deal, at least on the mod's end. For user mods, it takes literally seconds to remove the spam and ban. During the slower hours of the site (~2 a.m. to 6 a.m.) is when the spam is worst, and most mods aren't online during that time. But because it's slow, most users don't get to see it.

If it's really bad, this could be viable solution, but I just don't feel like it's at that level yet.

Back when I janitored the other site, we somehow had it indexed pretty high in Google's search priority, and that invited a metric fuck ton of spam bots in the forums, we're talking 10 threads per bot every 5 minutes before we asked Google what the hell was going on, and even more if you didn't catch them in time. THAT would call for whitelisting. Most I see here is two threads in the day, and at midnight there would be several more.

The spam simply isn't Vietnam enough IMO

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!