Forums / Media / Video Games

38,604 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Best Bosses

Last posted Aug 07, 2014 at 04:38PM EDT. Added Jul 24, 2014 at 06:20PM EDT
28 posts from 23 users

Megaman 2, Metal man

Sonic CD, 3rd boss "Bubble boss"

Yes I know that this one is one of the easiest video game bosses but this is just so fun!

Just played beat-em'-ups with tons of cool bosses. So they're totally crossing my mind now due to ITT

From Charlie Murder. Not the most difficult boss, her two-hit kill can be easily avoided so long as you don't stay in front of her too long, but the fight with her is innovative and creepy.

Special mention:

From the Dishwasher Vampire Smile. First boss, predictable and easy. I just like him because he ends up getting his face clawed out and his head rolling after Yuki uses his own sword against him.

Okay, The reason why I chose RAY in MGR was not because of difficulty, it's because of how awesome and over-the-top it is. Also, Rules of Nature. I mean it's been a bit overdone as a meme, but it's still a good song nontheless and fits the fight very well.

I like how heavy the atmosphere was in this one. The full moon overhead and Nyx standing higher than you shows how drastic and desperate the situation is; With the end of days coming to extinguish all life, it's up to your party to stop that from happening. The music really seats the mood, too. It just screams "This is it"

Fighting this guy sorta gave me perspective on what it's like to fight Snake himself. Think of it: he heals when he has low hp, he's practically invisible, and he can kill you without being spotted. It's worth it when you beat him, though. Since he's basically like snake, beating him signifies not only snakes growth, but you as the player. It shows how you where able to defeat yourself, proving you've become better than you formerly where

Honestly, I can't say why I like this boss so much. It could be because of the way the stage changes after every hit. Maybe the music appeals to me a lot. Or it could be (like many other people) I'm blinded by nostalgia. Regardless, I still like this boss

Last edited Jul 26, 2014 at 05:30AM EDT

This guy gave a first sight of hell on earth, Ironically, Sextus is hardest than him and I beat him easily, he is by far one of the best bosses I ever fight because no one have put such stress on me before

Last edited Jul 26, 2014 at 04:27PM EDT

Oh god, I CANNOT narrow this down to one, so here are five of my favorite boss fights. In no particular order.

5. Red (Pokemon G/S/C and HG/SS)

This fight was ridiculously emotional, not just for those who have played the Gen 1 games, but also for me. You see, Pokemon Gold was the first game I ever got. I never beat it and one day I accidentally erased my save file. Right before I reached the Elite Four. So when HeartGold and SoulSilver came out, I was ecstatic. I begged for it and when I got it, I devoted every moment to beating the champion. But once I found out, even beyond the rest of the gym leaders, there was still one left, I rushed to Mt Silver to fulfill my childhood. For me, this fight was intense, somewhat melancholic, and all around incredible. You fight the previous protagonist, Red, at the summit. His team is THE HIGHEST LEVELED IN THE ENTIRE SERIES, leading off with a level 88 Pikachu to boot! It was intense because, ITS YOU VERSUS THE ORIGINAL HERO, it was a little sad because, well, Red was up there all alone, either training or believing he was too strong for his own good, and it was incredible because it bridged the first generations of Pokemon perfectly. Sorry Cynthia, Cyrus, and N, this was just the moment I completed my childhood dream.

4. Metal Overlord (Sonic Heroes)

Honestly, I will never understand why Sonic Heroes gets so much hate. Sure, it ain't perfect by ANY means, but its still a great game, and manages to upstage both PERFECT CHAOS and the FINALHAZARD in terms of Final Battles. Sure, Perfect Chaos was a grand conclusion to Adventure, The FinalHazard was an epic conclusion to Sonic and Shadow's rivalry (For the Time Being), but this fight had been built up since Sonic CD, YEARS before. Metal Sonic had constantly tried to upstage Sonic, set itself as the superior copy, and manages to become quite possibly the most powerful character in the series save for Dark Gaia and Solaris (But we never speak of Solaris). This fight is awesome, forcing you to use every one of the teammates you've mastered over the course of the game to give this rustbucket a right smackdown. And the best part, he is only damaged by the Team Blast. It is not just a good conclusion to Heroes, it is also possibly one of the greatest rivalry conclusions in gaming, almost up there with another boss fight on this list, as it paints itself as an epic final boss for newer fans, and a grand finale for older fans.

3. Solid Snake vs. Liquid Ocelot (Metal Gear Solid 4)

Jesus, this fight is emotional as hell. I haven't had the chance to playthrough the entirety of this masterpiece myself, but I watched a full playthrough online, knowing the events that happened previously in the series, and all I can say is… damn. This fight is perfect. From a gameplay standpoint, the controls are beautifully responsive. From a graphical standpoint, it really manages to paint the situation with that sunset; the war is over, yet they still fight. And the biggest factor, the emotional standpoint. Good lord. This fight starts out as Solid Snake's final confrontation with Liquid Ocelot, set to the boss theme of MGS1, Encounter. It paints how Snake believes this is just one more battle for him to overcome, but it truly blossoms into an emotional conflict when Liquid suddenly reveals the original side of the Ocelot persona, reverting to it and revealing that this is the final clash between Snake and OCELOT as well. This escalates even further when the incredible 'Snake Eater' from MGS3 kicks in, concluding the clash not just between Snake and Ocelot, but Big Boss and Ocelot as well. This hits a full climax when the tragic 'Old Snake' kicks in. It reveals what this fight truly is; Two old, weary men fighting about a war that had already ended. Simply incredible and an amazing conclusion to one of the greatest arcs in gaming. It'll take a miracle for MGS:TPP to surpass THIS.

2. Safer Sephiroth/ The Mad God, Kefka

Ugh, it was hard to decide which one was better, so I went with both. In a nutshell, both of these are awesome for most of the reasons stated in the MGS4 example. The emotional torque, the epic conclusion, the amazing soundtrack, decent difficulty, these fights all of that! How could I pick just one? Sephiroth, you've grown to loathe over the course of the game and you wanted the murderous fucker to go down, and this is the most cathartic way to do so. Kefka, you wanted to stop him from causing anymore damage than he already had, and the fight had some crazy buildup up to this point! Needless to say, both fights are a spectacle. But there is ONE fight that I think trumps ALL of these.

1. Unlimited Ragna vs Unlimited Hazama (BlazBlue Continuum Shift)

Yes, a fighting game has a boss that is this epic. After watching this bastard curbstomp everyone, even your favorite characters, you just wanted the evil fucker dead, ASAP. So what happens after the hero, Ragna, has an epic second wind in the face of the death of yet another person at this guy's hands? The most cathartic, crazy, awesome clash that I have yet to see get replicated. While most of the fights on this list beat this one in other terms, this one trumps all of them accept possibly Red in terms of difficulty and gameplay. You're fighting a souped up version of the game's antagonist that has faster attacks, stronger moves, and is capable of killing you in three seconds if you even DARE let up. You, playing as Ragna, get souped up as well, capable of taking more damage and unleashing more devastating combos. Its a complete craze how absurdly awesome this fight is, not only letting you finally beat the stuffing out of this asshole, but also giving you the most blood-pumping clash in a fighting game, surpassing even Devil in Tekken 2. Easily my favorite boss fight, possibly behind Red and Ocelot.

Dracula (Castlevania: Circle of the Moon)

Archdemon (Dragon Age: Origins)

Darth Malak (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)

Shiro Tagachi (Guild Wars)

King Archibald (Heroes of Might and Magic 2)

Last edited Aug 03, 2014 at 01:33AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!