Forums / Media / Video Games

38,607 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

I'm looking for a certain type of game

Last posted Dec 07, 2014 at 11:45AM EST. Added Dec 06, 2014 at 09:06PM EST
8 posts from 6 users

I want something that requires a good deal of concentration, but has few to no real "failure" conditions. A puzzle, action game, it really doesn't matter. I just want something that I can devote my attention to when I get into depressive funks, such as I am experiencing as I type this.

Hmm…
This might sound a bit pretentious, but have you considered writing? You could almost consider it a game, even a "video game" if you use Word or the like, and the only possible failure is giving up before you should. That's helped me a couple times in the past. It can be anything you want, even just the thoughts that are running through your head at the moment. (Perhaps there is some vidya that incorporates this, but I'm not sure.)

0.9999...=1 wrote:

Hmm…
This might sound a bit pretentious, but have you considered writing? You could almost consider it a game, even a "video game" if you use Word or the like, and the only possible failure is giving up before you should. That's helped me a couple times in the past. It can be anything you want, even just the thoughts that are running through your head at the moment. (Perhaps there is some vidya that incorporates this, but I'm not sure.)

I used to write from time to time; dare I say that I'm pretty decent at it. I found that most of the time, I just kind of ranted about whatever was pissing me off at the time and it didn't make me feel any better.

I was just going to post Bomberman Tournament without reading your post, but I decided to read your post and discovered that Bomberman Tournament is actually a good suggestion. Its essentially Zelda: A Link to the Past where you play as Bomberman.

"but has few to no real “failure” conditions."

Well, its not a puzzle or action game exactly… Try The Elder Scrolls Morrowind, as far as failure conditions are concerned, just don't die. You can steal all the gold you want, go anywhere you want, you can kill necessary NCPs to finish the main quest but the game won't prevent you from doing so if you want to. You can steal almost anything. The only thing that sucks is the combat system, you will swat at air for several clicks but if you're patient you'll be rewarded nicely. Also the modding community is large so there's lots to add and improve if you wish to.

Skyrim or Fallout. As rpgs they require a considerable amount of concentration so you can create that character you want with the skills he needs. There are multiple quests and each of them have tons and tons of way to complete them, but there's really not a lot of ways to failing them unless you outright kill an important character when you shouldn't.

Onion Syrup wrote:

Skyrim or Fallout. As rpgs they require a considerable amount of concentration so you can create that character you want with the skills he needs. There are multiple quests and each of them have tons and tons of way to complete them, but there's really not a lot of ways to failing them unless you outright kill an important character when you shouldn't.

Might not be a bad idea. I've got Skyrim still installed and have been meaning to get back into it. I can just turn on god mode if I really need to.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!