Forums / Media / Video Games

38,647 total conversations in 2,704 threads

+ New Thread

Kingdom Hearts 4 Confirmation

Last posted Apr 12, 2022 at 09:11PM EDT. Added Apr 10, 2022 at 01:49PM EDT
6 posts from 6 users

Is it just me or is Kingdom Hearts leaning heavier and heavier into cinematic setpieces? KH 1 had few, if any; KH 2's were restricted to reaction commands; KH 3 was when they amped it up with pseudo-cutscenes and cinematic camera angles; now that whole gameplay section of the KH 4 trailer wouldn't look out of place next to Uncharted.

I felt completely… unsure… Like, this is apparently the beginning of ‘The Lost Master’ arc after the conclusion of KH III? And knowing so much about the franchise, having KH IV after just one spinoff feels not very Nomura of him. We should have at least 3 smallish, canon spinoffs only on the Switch, Steam Deck, and the Nokia Phone (in that order) and about a couple of major campaigns on UnionX before we could see a mainline sequel. But alas, here we are.

I’m guessing that the game will mainly be set in Quadratum and less on staple Disney worlds and might be more towards other Disney IPs like Starwars and Marvel. But not removing the animated worlds completely since Olympics was mentioned in the trailer (but then again, Olympic is a staple world in the franchise). Speaking of which, is the inclusion of FF characters completely gone in this or not?

Not to mention, UnionX appears to have a final conclusion and an upcoming KH phone game called Missing Link which is basically Pokemon GO with traditional KH gameplay. I repeat, with traditional KH gameplay! I’m amazed at how far Phone games have gone. There’s also a large connection towards Quadrium since with the GO mechanics and how the world is very close to real-life.

The one thing that’s on me and everyone's mind is the connection towards Versus XIII since Nomura refuses to let go of his canceled project. Heck, in the recent FF game, Stranger Paradise there was an area in the game that’s literally been taken from FF XV. It feels like Nomura will create Versus XIII and no one in Square Enix could stop him.

I'm definitely curious to see what direction the plot will take as KH3 was meant to be the end of the "Dark Seeker" saga, so will it act like a soft reboot, or will knowledge of every previous game, phone games included, still be necessary for understanding Mr. Nomura's Wild Ride?

Star Wars already seems like it's a shoe-in given the Endor-like world we saw in the trailer (I'm guessing they'll stick to the original trilogy, which I'd rather they do anyway). As for other worlds, if we get a Marvel world I'm guessing either base it off Avengers in some way (like go back to the original and have Loki as the villain or skip ahead to Thanos), or maybe just do a Spider-Man world based on the Tom Holland films (a Spiderverse world would be awesome, but I doubt they'll go that route). For Disney and Pixar animated worlds I'd like to see Moana, Zootopia, Coco, Encanto, and Turning Red could be fun simply for having a world set in the same year that KH1 came out (as Turning Red is set in 2002).

It'd be sadly unlikely but it'd be cool to have it or any other Kingdom Hearts game focus on Disney's tv shows and even Square's other IP's. Like I'd be down to see Sora palling around with Gex, Marina Lightyears, Randy Cunningham, and heck even Pickle and Peanut.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!