Forums / Media / Video Games

38,629 total conversations in 2,701 threads

+ New Thread

Cult-classic Lollipop Chainsaw getting a remake

Last posted Jul 13, 2022 at 08:26PM EDT. Added Jul 07, 2022 at 10:29AM EDT
4 posts from 2 users

Didn't see this posted anywhere, so here goes. Lollipop Chainsaw is getting a remake due to be released in 2023 (It's IGN, so if you don't like, here's the Archive link). From what I could gather, they're using the Unreal 4 engine.

There's some consternation among fans that the remake would adjust things for a "modern audience", especially since the article notes a more "realistic" approach to graphics. There are a couple screenshots from Yasuda's Twitter that are supposedly from the remake that doesn't show the main character looking that different, but of course, the jury's still out.

But even if "realistic" in this case doesn't necessarily mean graphical adjustments for a "modern audienceā„¢", do you think updating the graphics would make this game lose its cartoonish aesthetic? What would you want in this remake? Does this game even need to be remade in the first place? Cause there's alot to be said about video game "remakes" in generalā€¦

The original 360 and PS3 release isn't playable on any modern system so a remake (or even a simple remaster) feels kinda necessary (I did find it odd that of all the Grasshopper Manufacturer games on the 360, Lollipop Chainsaw was the one game that was never made backwards compatible on the Xbox One or Series X). They already said a bunch of the licensed music is being removed which sucks to hear, but I do wonder which songs exactly (like IIRC "Mickey" by Toni Basil played during special kill combos). I'm also especially curious on if Jimmy Urine's role in the game as one of the bosses will be changed or if the Mindless Self Indulgence music will still be present, because while I know he did provide some non-licensed tracks for the game, his inclusion might be deemed controversial now as in 2021 Urine was taken to court by a former groupie claiming he groomed her while she was a teenager in the late 90s.

Last edited Jul 07, 2022 at 12:49PM EDT

So the Remake devs have posted a statement clarifying what they mean by a "more realistic" look:

TL;DR is that they will not be censoring Juliet's design for the remake. Of course, devs could change their minds later on and/or just lie about it, but for now, I'll consider that concern addressed, at least for the time being. Really a testament to just how worried people get when you mention "realism" these days.

Now we see what licensed music makes it into the remake I suppose.

EDIT: Aw crud, the text in the image is too small. I'll just post the link where I managed to find the statement

Last edited Jul 13, 2022 at 06:53PM EDT

One thing I recall the game doing is the very first cutscene notes that it's Juliet's birthday and she just turned 18, probably to help make sure no one would accuse the devs of creating "barely legal jailbait." Plus what barely shown screenshots they've released so far shows she's still in the same cheerleader outfit. One random curiosity I do have is I wonder if they'll keep the thing where moving the camera in a way to try and get an upskirt shot causes Juliet to berate the player for being a perv and gets you an achievement called "I swear, I did it by mistake!"

Also I just remembered the original game had a couple "licensed costumes" like one for Ash from Evil Dead, Shiro from Deadman Wonderland, and two Highschool of the Dead costumes. Might be safe to assume those won't come back, but IIRC some of them (like the Ash costume) were only available as a "pre-order bonus" anyway.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!