Forums / Media / Video Games

38,596 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Unrecord, a (supposed) shooter game with a body cam perspective - Too realistic to be true?

Last posted May 16, 2023 at 06:17PM EDT. Added Apr 24, 2023 at 10:20PM EDT
7 posts from 5 users

So, what is supposedly a new game has made the rounds around the internet, due to come out next year.

As you can see, the graphics here are incredibly realistic (said to use UE5) along with the movements that the characters make. It's to the point that it can be mistaken for a live-action film that was made for this occasion. A dev posted what he says is a rendering of the level seen in the video as proof that it is indeed a game. But of course, it could just be a very high quality animation that's trying to separate you from your money for nothing at all. Still though, if this is indeed a scam, it's a really high quality scam. But if not, I can just imagine the specs to play this thing on PC are gonna be ridiculous. Though that does lead to lots of questions on stuff like whether it will have a price that justifies what it has (I'm sure gamers would want more than a tech demo), whether the gameplay loop is actually fun, whether the graphics seen actually are in game, etc. ACG also does a good discussion on this as well

Side note: Some game journalists, with the most impeccable priorities, decided to try to bring Identity politics into this cause the protagonist of this game is a cop, so they got upset by that little fact (The Gamer even wrote 2 articles whining about it!":https://archive.is/Am300 ) This is to the point that the developer had to address those comments on their Steam page

It looks most convincing in the areas brightly lit by the sun, the darker areas are where I begin to see some aspects of the environment having a more "video game-y" look."

Game could be interesting if it delivers, like a modern take on SWAT 3 and 4.

I just had a thought. Assuming the devs pull this off and deliver a solid game (and arguably, even if they don't), I think something like graphical fidelity and "uber-realistic" graphics can no longer be used by AAA companies as a way to market their games. Because if indie devs have access to game engines that can render ultra-realistic graphics, I can see that AAA companies are gonna have to find other means to market their games. You can't market a tech demo to gamers at a trade show anymore if a smaller studio (or even just 1 person) could do something similar anyways.

Just a thought, but perhaps larger companies could try to market their proprietary engines to indie devs just to see what they could do with them

I believe its actually computer generated (which is DAMN impressive) but like watch dogs 1 and other games with impressive graphics on trailers the actual game graphics will be downgraded by a damn good amount, this video is amazing but the game wont look this good (though it might still have good graphics who knows)

Mistress Fortune wrote:

It looks most convincing in the areas brightly lit by the sun, the darker areas are where I begin to see some aspects of the environment having a more "video game-y" look."

Game could be interesting if it delivers, like a modern take on SWAT 3 and 4.

Don't we already have Ready or Not for that modern take? Not to discredit this game, but it does seen to be going for something else. Then a squad-based tactical shooter.

Dull Man in Strange Time! wrote:

Don't we already have Ready or Not for that modern take? Not to discredit this game, but it does seen to be going for something else. Then a squad-based tactical shooter.

ngl I legit forgot about Ready or Not. And actually yeah you're right it does look like Unrecord might be focusing more on playing as a lone cop who is engaging without waiting for backup, but it may just be too early to tell if the final game will have AI partners.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!