Forums / Media / Video Games

38,605 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor is the latest game to be "great on consoles, but a terrible PC port"

Last posted May 01, 2023 at 09:46AM EDT. Added Apr 28, 2023 at 12:46PM EDT
4 posts from 3 users

Source
And just look at the Steam page from people who bought the game and played it when it launched at midnight

2023 is shaping up to be viewed as a year in gaming that might stand up there with years like 1998 and 2004, but PC gamers are really getting the short end of the stick of late. Outside of AA darling Dead Island 2, it seems PC ports this year (and even some from last year) have been really lacking in terms of proper optimization.

I was very excited for Jedi Survivor, I'm not even a fan of SW, but I had a fantastic time with Fallen Order. There were fair warnings a few days before by multiple outlets that performance was gonna shaky, even on PS5 a stable framerate of 60 was not a guarantee.

I suppose I'll pick it up during the Summer Sale after a few patches iron out the performance kinks.

I watched Digital Foundry's video on the PS5 version (they didn't get early codes, which kinda tells me something) and it looks like the general thing for console is you're honestly better off playing at the 30 FPS mode as it stays stable most of the time (the biggest issue is areas with bodies of water with ray traced reflections), while 60 FPS is only stable in smaller areas and dungeons, the more open spots seem to stay around 40-something, and resolution dipping to sub 720p (and for a PS5 game that's quite the "accomplishment," this is more of what I'd expect from a Switch port that was either "far too ambitious for its own good" or "was ported by a bad team").

It looks to me the biggest issue is the devs likely didn't properly optimize the game's use of raytracing, and the fact it's always forced on, even in "performance mode," is one of the big issues as I bet if you could turn it off and use the "less impressive but also way less taxing" screen space reflections instead the framerate would be far more stable in 60 FPS mode.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!