Forums / Media / Video Games

38,638 total conversations in 2,702 threads

+ New Thread

Nintendo mostly shutting down Russian Switch eShop starting today

Last posted Jun 01, 2023 at 09:20PM EDT. Added May 31, 2023 at 04:29PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

Source

I say "mostly" because the ability to re-download purchased software will remain up for the time being, but being able to buy anything on the eShop if you're located in Russia won't be possible anymore. Nintendo had already halted product shipments to the country around March of last year after the Ruble's value made a massive decline following the start of the war in Ukraine, so if anything it's a bit surprising they waited a whole year to mostly shut down the eShop in the country.

Aside: it's fucking weird to me I've seen vatniks try and claim Nintendo no longer doing direct business in Russia is somehow "virtue signaling." Dude it's because Russia's economy is a shitshow right now, simple as that.

It’s also (probably) because russia got the Advance Wars remake delayed for a year due to its own stupidity

I mean, I’d be pretty pissed off too if I had a game delayed because of another country starting an ACTUAL war!

I think that's why a whole host of other companies left Russia, not just Nintendo. Not cause they necessarily care about the Ukraine war, but because of Russia's economic situation. Russia pulled some strings to stabilize the Ruble after it lost value initially, but the Ruble's value has been dropping like crazy yet again.

I'm definitely somewhat surprised Nintendo hasn't fully left Russia yet. I suppose at the beginning, they did stop selling physical copies of games as well as Switches over there (I can imagine Russia ripping the chips out of them for missiles, like they apparently did with washing machines).

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!