Forums / Media / Video Games

38,647 total conversations in 2,704 threads

+ New Thread

Charles Martinet stepping back as voice of Mario, will now be a "Mario Ambassador"

Last posted Sep 07, 2023 at 12:28PM EDT. Added Aug 21, 2023 at 11:05AM EDT
8 posts from 6 users

Source

There have been rumors about whether or not if Martinet would continue being the voice of Mario after people noticed some of Mario's lines in Super Mario Bros. Wonder sounded a bit different from what people are familiar with, and that Wario in the new Warioware also sounds different from what little voice clips we've heard. Martinet is up there in age (he's almost 70) and when you compare his Mario voice now to how it sounded back in the 90s or 00s you can tell aging is beginning to affect the voice, and unfortunately death is an inevitability so even if Martinet kept voicing Mario for more years to come he'd inevitably have to be replaced. Given Martinet is still going to be working with Nintendo representing the Mario IP though I would assume he's probably going to train an apprentice, or likely already has, to take over the role (I highly doubt Nintendo would just have Chris Pratt take over as Mario in everything, he'll probably just stay "Movie Mario" while the games either have one new person or multiple new people take over as Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi).

As of making this OP Nintendo says they'll be releasing a video later featuring Martinet and Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto addressing the change as well.

And now it's confirmed Charles Martinet is indeed NOT voicing Mario in SMB Wonder

So yep Wonder will mark the debut of the new VA for Mario, and likely also Luigi if they're getting different VAs for each brother going forward instead of one guy voicing both like Charles did. We'll also know if Wario will share a VA with Mario or not before the end of the year given Warioware: Move It! is also coming out this fall.

People like Arlo were theorizing that he was not voiced by Charles ever since the SMB Wonder trailer came up and they got shit for it. Turns out they were simply being hated for telling the truth.

I had the chance to get an autograph from them some time ago at a convention but I inconveniently got sick before I could go and had to cancel.

I would really like a copy of Mario 3d world on switch signed by him sometime.

The video Charles Martinet and Shigeru Miyamoto is finally out:

For those who can't watch it for some reason, the video basically is Charles expressing how much he loves representing the Mario franchise and that even if he may no longer be the voice of these characters he's still gonna keep spreading love for Super Mario through cons and other meet ups for years to come, and Miyamoto expressing how grateful he is for Charles' contribution to giving Mario an iconic voice.

Once again it's noted that Super Mario Bros. Wonder will mark the debut for the new voice actors, and we'll have to wait until the game comes out to find out who the VAs are. I'm assuming Nintendo doesn't want to reveal the new VAs yet because they know they'd get hounded by a lot of press and fans alike, and sadly because this is the internet I already know some unhinged psychos are likely going to dox and/or send death threats to the new actors, even though they should know damn well Charles wouldn't want that to happen at all.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!