Forums / Media / Video Games

38,815 total conversations in 2,719 threads

+ New Thread

Videogame Music!

Last posted Sep 09, 2024 at 03:39AM EDT. Added Jul 30, 2024 at 02:48PM EDT
37 posts from 16 users

Hey there, took me a while but i thought it was about time that i started a topic of my own in the forums. I decided to go for something that i quite like that is VGM, i wanted to share with you some of the stuff that i've been listening to recently!

I'm super into the Lofi/Chill kinda music, so i like to find remixes of videogame music that go in that direction, here's an example from the Streets of Rage series:

Also, i've been recently getting into Liquid Drum & Bass, like these tracks:

And when i feel like listening to something "harder" for working out, i found this amazing album of remixed tracks from Unreal Tournament '99:

Anyway, that's just a small sample. How about you guys? What VGM are you interested in, do you have a particular soundtrack that you like to listen to, a favorite genre?

I honestly don't really know what I'm into, as it's more of a case by case basis. While I gravitate toward more energetic tracks, sometimes I go with a less fast/intense track every so often. One thing I do know is that I'm capable of listening to the same song for days at a time if I'm in the right mood for it.

While I think Pizza Tower's soundtrack is well made, only one song has managed to maintain its luster in my eyes is Thousand March, and that extends to several remixes as well.

Another recent song that I know for certain has achieved this feat is "Springer" from The Big Catch: Tackle Box, a more lighthearted song with a clockwork theme.

One last one that I know for certain that I liked like these ones was the Midboss theme from Paper Mario: The Origami King, though I'm not feeling it as much as when I first heard it.

I don't have a favorite genre, I just listen to individual songs or tracks I like.

My most recent favorite is MARIA from Atelier Ayesha, which I beat recently. It's a bit slow and melancholic but fits perfectly as the final boss music it is.

The Silent Hill 2 soundtrack has some great songs, despite being overused for years by all sorts of horror Youtubers. Promise (Reprise) is hauntingly beautiful.

And still on the topic of hauntingly beautiful, I think many of the Resident Evil save room themes, but the one from RE3 has to be my favorite.

Last edited Jul 31, 2024 at 01:11PM EDT

My favorite music is all over the place. Probably the largest soundtracks I could recommend is from 2008-2012 RuneScape. One guy on youtube by the name of manpaint has basically every track uploaded from that version of the game. Here's one of my favorites from that version:

Metroid Prime has been a long standing favorite franchise of mine too, has many good tracks.

One thing I could add is some games are starting to get high quality uncompressed remake music too, like mario 64. The main hall sounds way different when you hear it with cd quality sound. Church of Kondo has a goldmine of selections in this category.

If there is one more track I could throw in here out of the blue that not many people probably know of, it's from a game called keepsake. It's a puzzle adventure game about investigation what happened to everyone at a magic school.

There's a huge library of game music I could select from, wouldn't mind putting in a second part to this post.

One of my favourite uses of the Spanish Guitar:

All of Supergiant's games music is worth listening to, so this song links to their playlist.

One of the best musical callbacks is also the one between the final boss of Dark Souls 1 & 3:

I always love music to relax to

This one was what got me into ambient and relaxing synth music

Despite being a Pokemon gamer since gen 1 and hold HG/SS to be the best in the series, I do love this song from X & Y

Ape Escape has some of the best soundtracks out there

I would be up early just for this

Sonic 3D for Saturn has been overlooked

Sonic Megacollection Plus was the greatest collection out of any Sega compilation they ever released

this has to be my favorite video game track ever, the fact that it's basically the regular boss fight theme of the original game, but cranked up to 11, is good enough on it's own for me, but the fact that this is also the theme of the first boss where you hear the original theme is honestly just incredible.

to me, this track is a perfect example of what the final fantasy 7 remake trilogy stands for; taking the original, and making it better

as for the soundtracks i've been listening to recently, the sea of stars soundtrack is pretty good. hell, as i write this, "the frozen peak – night" is playing.

I like several genre's, but I am a big fan of synth. Hotline Miami, Katana Zero, and Furi to name a few have me covered in spades. Here's a few of my favorite picks:

I also like big orchestral bombastic stuff that gets the blood pumping. Total War use to deliver, but ever since Jeff van Dyck left, music in series has been lacking terribly. Nothing holds a candle to the old tracks, one of my favorites:

Last edited Jul 31, 2024 at 06:48PM EDT

Loving the shit out of all the stuff you're recommending, guys! Keep 'em coming! I feel like adding to some of your picks:

@TheHolyEmpress i definitely agree with the Resident Evil save rooms, they have an aura of tense tranquility, like a respite from all the madness that you must fight through. I particularly like RE4 Remake's version of the Typewriter save theme:

@Major_Failure the OST for the Metroid Prime series is incredibly epic, i personally always love to hear once again the intro theme in Metroid Prime 2, imo one of the best intro themes in gaming:

@Beetlebro while X/Y wasn't my favorite Pokemon game, i admit it has some superb music! Two personal picks of mine are Anistar City and the Kalos Power Plant:

But another franchise that so far no one has mentioned and i'm surprised, is The Legend Of Zelda! Since i mentioned epic intros, i gotta choose the intro from Twilight Princess as a sample!

The kind of dramatic or epic music that makes me think imaginary battles or plot twists, or fighting game music in general that keeps me pumped. Lyrical or not, they're all welcome. Just a couple of examples that I often gravitate towards to. Anyway, let me share some samples.

@martinprince12345 funny you mentioned Zelda music.
Even though Skyward Sword was heavily disliked, Koloktos had one of the best boss themes on top of boss fights on in the best water temple. I wish it was in a better Zelda game

OOT's intro is an all time classic

OOT Ganon has the best Ganon design, music and atmosphere. Most bosses have titles/epithets like "Parasitic Arachnid" and "Evil Spirit from Beyond", but Ganon in OOT didn't need any title/epithet as he needed no introduction

Ganondorf in Wind Waker still carries the best characterization of all versions of the character. Albeit the best Ganondorf boss fight for me was Twilight Princess and Tears of the Kingdom has my favorite Ganondorf design

This is too catchy

Metal Mario was awesome as a boss back in the old days and this is one of my favorite themes

Master Hand started the series off with a banger.

This is my favorite character creation hands down. It has that sci-fi militaristic feel, and I miss when Phantasy Star aesthetically looked like this. PSO2 was decent but I can't recognize New Genesis as a proper PSO series game.

Beautiful tracks

Sad that they changed the soundtrack from the rereleases of Sonic 3.

Terranigma is what I considered to be one of the greatest if not the greatest games on the SNES.
It was one of the few games where I cried in the ending, and it really felt special. Not just the music, everything about this game is an experience and I urge people to give it a try. This was sadly the last game Quartet made before the studio shut down, making the game out as being one of the best swan songs in the videogames industry.

This brings up some old tears

A game shouldn't make someone cry after beating it, but it did

Ambience

Necromagenvion wrote:

The kind of dramatic or epic music that makes me think imaginary battles or plot twists, or fighting game music in general that keeps me pumped. Lyrical or not, they're all welcome. Just a couple of examples that I often gravitate towards to. Anyway, let me share some samples.

Ayyy that profile pic tells me you're also a fellow Turok enjoyer. River of Souls is probably my favorite track of the game, alongside the PC version of Port of Adia.

Something I only just recently remembered was the File Select theme from Paper Mario on the N64. It's not something that I've ever listened to extensively, but is a song so fundamental to my soul that it randomly appears in my mind and is the song I use to practice whistling. It's as pervasive in my mind as "Jingle Bells", but infinitely more welcome to stay.

Necromagenvion wrote:

The songs are great, but I also wish I had the forethought of putting the videos behind spoilers like you did (and thank you for doing so)

Can't edit my comment now, but it would have helped the other users in loading this thread.

Anyway, there's also a few more relaxing songs from Castlevanias:

t

Dang, i hadn't thought of using the spoiler bars, my bad. Anyway here's another favorite track of mine, from an unofficial fangame called Streets of Rage Remake. It's a remix of the first level music from the original Streets of Rage, really going for that Technotronic vibe:

Someone mentioned Zero from Ace Combat Zero. The series in general has great music.

The Ace Combat 3 soundtrack is quite unique. Electronic isn't my favorite genre, but this one fits quit well when you have an intense match in AC7's online multiplayer.

And the final boss music for AC Assault Horizon. Again, haunting.

I've been playing Another Crab's Treasure recently, and the miniboss theme has become the most popular track in the game. As the top comment on the track's official Youtube video says, it goes disgustingly hard. This has Aggro Crab's signature written all over it.

@Gilan now that you mention Castlevania, there's a few tracks here and there that i love from the franchise, even though i only played a few of the games!

One i played was Bloodlines for the Sega Genesis, the track from Stage 2 is one of my favorites.

One i didn't play was Rondo of Blood (i did try Dracula X but didn't quite like it) and this particular track i think stands out, especially during the 0:40 mark which sounds beautiful.

And another i didn't play but apparently isn't a good game despite the music, is Castlevania 64. The intro however, is absolutely mesmerizing.

VtM Bloodlines has a superb banger OST, i love this two tracks, they have this feeling of chilling in the late night:

https://youtu.be/Ff1DjBe3LOM?si=JKiGyYgYq3o2J4oR

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDwOK8Ke7Y&source_ve_path=MTc4NDI0

sorry for posting raw links, the owner doesn't allow sharing their videos via embed

Last edited Aug 04, 2024 at 01:07PM EDT

@martinprince12345

Thanks !

@bmxbandit

Really liked VtM Bloodlines (and sort of wish the sequel wasn't in the development limbo iti's in).

I'm going to add some Total War (someone else added the best one from Medieval), because if I added Bloodborne I might be overloading the thread with Gothic stuff.

From Road Redemption:
Sorry these one are not on youtube but you can still listen here:
https://www.audionetwork.com/browse/m/track/scum_35128
https://www.audionetwork.com/browse/m/track/car-wars_45874

From Diablo the classic Trystan Theme:

Annd finally the reason i freakin love electronic music:

Last edited Aug 07, 2024 at 10:06PM EDT

I was recently reminded of some very 90s music from the Megaman X series. I like this one a lot, including the "we have 'The Final Countdown' at home" start.

I haven't mentioned the Persona series. J-pop and hiphop/rap aren't really my thing, but I make an exception for this series. Like the final boss theme.

For something a little different, one of the most underrated songs of the Metal Gear series.

Last edited Aug 23, 2024 at 08:43AM EDT

Eyyy so i felt like sharing more Streets of Rage Remake tracks with y'all:

Last track is from an OC exclusive to Remake, a ninja woman that is a boss fight and can also be unlocked as a playable character.

Last edited Aug 23, 2024 at 11:12PM EDT

Void Stranger soundtrack has some gems. This one has a distorted drum samples, killer bassline, buzzing lead and interesting metallic instrument used in melody and backing.

Last edited Aug 25, 2024 at 06:15PM EDT

Yo! You must login or signup first!