Forums / Media / Video Games

38,860 total conversations in 2,723 threads

+ New Thread

PS5 Pro finally revealed, but it's $700 and doesn't come with a disc drive

Last posted Sep 10, 2024 at 11:16PM EDT. Added Sep 10, 2024 at 12:31PM EDT
14 posts from 11 users

Source

One of the worst kept secrets of 2024 finally got revealed officially, but boy is it pricey. The main draws of this mid gen refresh are it has a better GPU that will allow for smoother framerates at higher resolutions and improved ray tracing, and uses a proprietary super resolution upscaler to even enhance the resolutions on backwards compatible PS4 games in addition to current gen PS5 titles. It'll also have a 2TB SSD already installed, and will launch on November 7.

While it sounds like it's got the bells and whistles one could expect from such a mid gen refresh, two major things about it made me go "woof, good luck selling this to the average consumer." First is the fact it's going to be priced at $700, actually eclipsing the infamous $600 price the PS3 launched with back in 2006, and is also the same price the 3DO console launched at way back in 1993 (though in today's money a 3DO would be closer to $1000). Second is that Sony will NOT be including a disc drive on the console, you'll have to buy that separately as an attachment, which will make the "true price" of the console closer to $800.

This is very much an "enthusiasts only" sort of device, and sounds like a better deal for folks who don't already have a regular PS5.

Oh yep you're right, the stand is also separate. By the by the PS5 base model actually went up in price in Japan recently due to the weakening of the yen, so now you gotta wonder if this could have a negative affect on Sony's home territory (Xbox hasn't done any price increase in Japan and apparently the Series X and S got a sales boost recently, so Microsoft could get a better foothold in that region as long as they don't screw up at Tokyo Game Show).

Oh god dammit, I should've made my thread sooner.😭

But yes, it was not a well kept secret at all. It's literally the same description so this presentation felt kinda pointless for me. However, what I didn't expect was the absurd starting price point at $699.99 for a NO DISC DRIVE and NO STAND. You'd think the pricing would somewhat make sense cause perf % increase = price % increase, but when compared to the PS4 Pro when it launched with better specs than the base PS4 + disc drive at the same price of the original PS4, the PS5 Pro feels like a missed opportunity.

Also for those that don't know, the PS5 disc drive costs $79.99 and the official vertical stand costs $29.99 so if you want the whole thing, you'll have to spend around $810 or even more with the Pro model.

Last edited Sep 10, 2024 at 02:00PM EDT

FatmanAss wrote:

THIS IS THE WORST TRADE I HAVE EVER SEEN WHEN IT COMES TO VIDEO GAMES CONSOLES!
EVEN THE WORST CONSOLES BEFORE 8TH GENERATION HAD MORE TO OFFER FOR A CHEAPER PRICE!
WHAT WAS SONY THINKING?!

"fuck the fans, we want m o n e y"

>launch day PS3 was cheaper than this

Way to shoot yourself in the foot after Astro Bot’s release (which came out at the same time as Concord’s shutdown)

How exactly is sony better than Nintendo again?

'lo! You must login or signup first!