Forums / Media / Video Games

38,876 total conversations in 2,724 threads

+ New Thread

It looks like Stop Killing Games is indeed having a positive impact

Last posted Sep 12, 2024 at 09:33AM EDT. Added Sep 11, 2024 at 08:48AM EDT
4 posts from 4 users

First off, remember how the game that kickstarted the whole campaign, The Crew? Ubisoft has confirmed they're going to add offline modes to The Crew 2 and The Crew: Motorfest

Now of course it'd be great if they did the same with the original too, but this definitely shows the Stop Killing Games campaign definitely affected Ubisoft's The Crew franchise for the better, correcting one of the major issues that lead to them killing the original. Obviously though we need to ensure Ubisoft does this for ALL their games, and not just them either, all publishers selling paid games should provide an offline mode of some type for games that have been made with online play as a major driving force.

Also of note is that while Nintendo has confirmed support for the free-to-play mobile game Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is ending soon, they are making a paid version of the game that can be played offline with no microtransactions

No word if Nintendo will later bring back other F2P mobile games that went offline like Dragalia Lost or Dr. Mario World, but I think it's safe to say Nintendo took notice of Stop Killing Games and their efforts to pass legislation in places like Europe and went ahead and decided to change their "end of life" policies for their F2P mobile games going forward.

Huge congrats to Ross Scott for getting the ball rolling and helping to convince the AAA games industry to avoid at least one really shitty practice.

Mistress Fortune wrote:

First off, remember how the game that kickstarted the whole campaign, The Crew? Ubisoft has confirmed they're going to add offline modes to The Crew 2 and The Crew: Motorfest

Now of course it'd be great if they did the same with the original too, but this definitely shows the Stop Killing Games campaign definitely affected Ubisoft's The Crew franchise for the better, correcting one of the major issues that lead to them killing the original. Obviously though we need to ensure Ubisoft does this for ALL their games, and not just them either, all publishers selling paid games should provide an offline mode of some type for games that have been made with online play as a major driving force.

Also of note is that while Nintendo has confirmed support for the free-to-play mobile game Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is ending soon, they are making a paid version of the game that can be played offline with no microtransactions

No word if Nintendo will later bring back other F2P mobile games that went offline like Dragalia Lost or Dr. Mario World, but I think it's safe to say Nintendo took notice of Stop Killing Games and their efforts to pass legislation in places like Europe and went ahead and decided to change their "end of life" policies for their F2P mobile games going forward.

Huge congrats to Ross Scott for getting the ball rolling and helping to convince the AAA games industry to avoid at least one really shitty practice.

I’m honestly glad Pocket Camp is ending soon and transitioning into an offline game (with saved progress from pocket camp intact), cause that game JUST WOULDN’T FUCKING STOP EVERY MONTH!!! I had to play every multiple times per day due to how the events worked, to the point I had to stop back in July.

Also, 3 MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS

Happy to hear that, it felt wasteful. It may even be better business for the producers to have something people can play and buy years down the line.

Nintendo is also planning ahead, which is smart. Sooner or later there was going to be regulations, so may as well have contingencies.

Yo! You must login or signup first!