Forums / Media / Video Games

38,894 total conversations in 2,725 threads

+ New Thread

Sony State of Play for September 24, 2024

Last posted Sep 25, 2024 at 10:17AM EDT. Added Sep 24, 2024 at 12:40PM EDT
6 posts from 5 users

Sony is doing a State of Play today at 6:00 EST

Two announcements already got leaked early and those two are: Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered (leaked via the ESRB giving it a rating), and Soul Reaver 1+2 Remastered (the PSN store uploaded the trailer early and it confirms it's coming out December 10). Horizon feels similar to when The Last of Us got remastered on PS5, a case of "the PS4 game already looks and runs great on PS5, did it really need one?" as Horizon on PS4 already run at 4K 60 FPS on the PS5. Soul Reaver however does need the remaster treatment as both games are two decades old and presently lack legal means to play them on modern consoles, so that one is cool. Odd though that Blood Omen, the game that Soul Reaver is the sequel to, isn't included, but at least that game is available on GOG and even a potato PC can run it no problem.

I'm not really going in with the highest expectations, but Sony does "need a win" as the last SoP is what gave us Concord, a game everyone knew they hated the moment they confirmed it's a paid hero shooter with bland characters. Now said SoP also ended on Astro Bot, so who knows.

Breakdown time.

-Astro Bot is getting free DLC this fall that will add in speedrun stages and new bots to save, with two of the bots showcased being Eve from Stellar Blade and Hell Divers from Hell Divers 2.

-The Midnight Walk is a game using a claymation art style (including a purposely choppy animation framerate like SpiderVerse), coming from the studio behind Lost in Random.

-Hell is Us is a horror themed soulslike coming out sometime next year.

-Palworld was shadow dropped on PS5 after the State of Play (kinda awkward timing given the Nintendo lawsuit is just starting).

-Metro Awakening, the new VR game set in the Metro 2033 universe, is launching November 7 (I got a PSVR2 while it was on sale so I'm actually looking forward to this now).

-ArcheAge Chronicles is a new medieval themed soulslike coming out next year.

-Lunar Remastered Collection brings the Complete editions of the first two Lunar games together, with the visuals having a nice looking HD bump and widescreen. Coming out Spring 2025.

-TMNT Shredder's Revenge has free DLC out today, adding in two new characters and a remixed OST.

-Even though it was already leaked, yep Soul Reaver 1 and 2 are getting remastered and coming December 10. It's from Aspyr and it looks to be more akin to the remasters of Tomb Raiders 1-3 and Star Wars Bounty Hunter, which is good.

-Hitman: World of Assassination trilogy has a VR edition coming out in December.

-Fantasian Neo Dimension, the newest RPG from Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, is launching December 5.

-Sonic x Shadow Generations will have DLC based on the Sonic 3 moving coming out just before the film, and Keanu Reeves will lend his voice to Shadow in the DLC.

-Lego Horizon Adventures is launching on November 17.

-Towers of Aghasba is a fantasy city builder that looks to play closer to modern Zelda, launching in to early access this November.

-Fear the Spotlight, a PS1 styled horror game from Blumhouse's new game publishing label, is launching on October 22.

-Alan Wake 2's "Lake House" expansion is arriving next month.

-New PS5 controller and side panel colors shown off (the indigo actually looks nice IMO).

-Dynasty Warriors Origins, the return of Koei-Tecmo's classic hack n slash series, is coming out January 17, 2025.

-Mark Cerny confirmed a few more games getting PS5 Pro support like the remake of MGS Snake Eater and Stellar Blade (still not wort the $700 without a disc drive though).

-Stellar Blade is getting crossover DLC with Nier Automata sometime soon.

-The monthly free games for PSN in October were confirmed to be WWE 2K24, the Dead Space remake, and Doki Doki Literature Club+, and for the "Classics" lineup they confirmed Blood Omen 1 (funny how I was just talking about that above and now I'm like "oh there it is") and Dino Crisis 1 (even though I want an RE Engine remake, I'll gladly take Capcom simply finally giving people a modern legit means of playing the original).

-Monster Hunter Wilds got a new story and gameplay trailer, but most importantly the release date is now confirmed for February 28, 2025 (Capcom will also have more to show at TGS this week).

-The remaster of Horizon Zero Dawn is arriving on Halloween and people who already own the PS4 version can upgrade for $10.

-And finally the big closer, the sequel to Ghost of Tsushima is finally confirmed, titled "Ghost of Yotei." The game is set in norther Japan in 1603 and sees the player play as a new protagonist named Atsu. It's launching next year, but no definitive month or day was given.

Overall personally I'd say this one was "decent." Other than Ghost of Yotei, nothing really blew me away, but even so I still liked it way more than their last SoP that devoted way too much time to the "dead on arrival" Concord.

Greetings! You must login or signup first!